Brakes??????

Y10 KED

Reaction score
hi guys,

I’m after some bigger brakes for my car but I’m unsure what the options are ?

As far as I’m aware there is a few calipers that can fit on without adjustment ?

What is the options that I have ?

S4 and RS4 are probably most common, which engine do you have (so we can figure what your upgrading from) also how big are your wheels (so we know what size disc will fit them).

Allot will come down to budget too, I have 320mm front and 288mm rear as I don't like paying the S/RS prices for discs and pads.

So I am on the A4 2.0 S-Line Quattro brakes st the moment. My wheels are 19 x 8.5 on the front and 19 x 9.5 on the rear. As far as price I want to see what options there are ?

If you are going this route then there are a few options but the 345 route is ideal , s4 rears and 18z's front .

What is the setup for the 18z ? And is the s4 rears just different carrier ?

rears need complete assemblies, carrier and calipers with the larger disc's.
18'z 's need 345mm discs , a lot say the s4 front setup is cheaper but it doesn't work out much difference really, both options need new discs , s4 will need new carriers, pads etc.
I fitted 18z setup to my avant and it all came in at £500 give or take a pound, also an excellent setup.

Do you know any part numbers for the rear setup ? And is there anything needed to get the 18z on the front ? Or do they bolt straight on ?

S4 rears can work out stupid costs really as sellers really cash in on the fact that they have s4 rears......
18z's are a straight bolt on , you'll need new brake lines such as HEL , and 345mm disks either S4 B8's or Merc ML 's , 4 bolts to hold the calipers on and depending on what disc you choose 1mm may need skimming of the centre bore hole, pads aswell.
There are some sellers out there doing kits for 18z fitting to B7's

The only real possible downside with going the 18z route is caliper clearance and your rims , 18" is the min dia , you have 19" so that's fine the offset is crucial or they wont clear the caliper.
rim style and offset will be the main point, S4 front are not so problematice as the caliper body is smaller to start with, either way spacers can help if needbe.

So I am sure that I will have clearance on the wheel to the 18z calipers, what is the best disc and pad setup or easiest ? I would probably be wanting to run ds2500 pads and drilled and grooved discs. Do you maybe have the part numbers of what you are running ?

Colour is a personal choice really but I love dark red on my black bus.

These are 18z's with 345mm Merc ML discs from M-tech and HEL lines, also with decent pads, epic braking when you need it but really nice and progressive too......worth the extra cost and bit of messing around.

Mt1

So do you have to adjust the disc to get them to fit ?

Think I need to see what offset I have

So do you have to adjust the disc to get them to fit ?
only a few discs will go straight on ,the ML 345 are good but need the centre bore enlarging by 1mm to fit flush on the hub face, S4 b8's already fit over so that's solves that , here is a chart of what will fit, you need to be around the 345 dia .

Amgml

You need bore dia size of 68mm , ML are 67mm .
S4 b8's are 68mm and also weigh all most 3lbs less per discs aswell compared to ML's , I went with the ML's as I didn't know about the s4 ones at the time but all down to choice really.

Think I need to see what offset I have

depending on what you have now , you may get away with it , worse case spacers maybe required but that may not help with wheel arch clearance if you need more than 3-5mm extra as your already running 8.5 and 9.5j , my 19" are 8j with 235 /35 rubber.
like I said, several factors to take into account, but very doable , just do your homework first and things should workout fine.

just to show you what I mean.
my previous 18" rims , also 8j on an et35 .....much more space well not loads but almost double what I have now and neither use spacers, rim style is a factor that you have consider too.

Bre5

Last edited: