A3 140bhp TDI Brake upgrade questions

Sparks#72

Reaction score
Hi,

I know this has subject will have been covered a 100 times before on this forum alone, but can I please ask for some advice and guidance, I have read through a load of posts on line regarding the subject matter, and I still have a couple of questions.

My current A3 is a 2012 (MY) Black Edition Sportback TDI S-line factory 140 bhp (although it has been re-mapped to approx. 180 bhp).

My front discs & pads are now approaching the end of their working lives and while I think about replacing them, I thought maybe I should upgrade them...........

The reasons behind my thinking for a potential upgrade are two fold, firstly performance, as I previously had an A3 TDI S-line 170 and the brakes felt stronger on that car that on my current A3 and secondly aesthetics, as my car runs the standard 18” rotor alloys, I've personally never thought the current front brake discs look big enough through the wheel.

Questions:
As my car is a 140bhp version, it is my understanding that the front brake discs are 288mm, is that correct?

I was thinking about up grading them to the 312mm discs as found on the 170bhp A3’s.

Can I just check which additional parts I need (obviously bigger discs), bigger calliper carries, but do I also need to change the dirt shields which sit on the hub and do I need any other parts?

Finally, when choosing which pads & discs to go for, should I just go for the OEM parts or do you guys recommend an aftermarket brand such as Brembo or Mintex ?

I hope all this makes sense and thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Dave