Help with options

OutLore

VOIP Dude
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the process of ordering my car, and cannot decide on a couple of things:

Firstly, I think I am going to go for Mauritius blue, as the only other colours I like are black which is a nightmare to keep clean, and white, which oddly enough makes the car more expensive monthly (lease car)

But, I can't decide whether to go for the black styling package (which gives you a black grille surround) and privacy glass.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Personally I like a bit of chrome and do not like the black grill and privacy glass, the standard grill gives the car a more upmarket look if you want, some class...

Colour wise it is up too you, I opted for black and is fantastic when it is clean but as you say, might be difficult to keep clean, If that is a worry any silver/grey will be the best for you...

Pedro

prefer the chrome myself, as for the colour quite like mauritius blue would say no to black unless you like cleaning your car. Misano or brilliant red look the business on the A3 as IMO red really suites the car especially with the s-line.

I would not go for the black option on the mauritius blue car but white with the back grill and privacy glass might look good :) but it would need big wheels.

Chris.

Hi Spence, I agree with Chris. If you are going with blue, I would definately keep the chrome. The chrome stands out so well in the blue imo, i would even go one step further and get the aftermarket chrome side mirrors, but i guess it's not for everyone. Personally I think that looks so good without completely jumping overboard.

As for options, have you got S-line exterior on your list yet? When it comes to privacy glass, where I live the options only offer tint on the back seat and back windows, and that just look so imcomplete with the front windows completely see-thru...:confused:

Nice, big wheels is a must! Are you firm on the interior options?

OutLore said:
white, which oddly enough makes the car more expensive monthly (lease car)
Not odd at all really. Lease prices factor in the residual value of the car, which is harmed by white as it's far more difficult to sell.

Ever wondered why the police are turning to silver? :)

As for the black styling pack, I'd only go for this on a black or white car, think it looks better with the original silver on any other colour tbh.

Vertigo1 said:
As for the black styling pack, I'd only go for this on a black or white car, think it looks better with the original silver on any other colour tbh.
Agree - I'd leave the normal chrome grill in place and spend the money elsewhere.

Some great responses there guys, thanks!

As for the rest of the car, it will be S-Line, engine will be either TDi170 or TFSi depending on where I find to live and how close it is to the office. Other options are:

Front Centre Armrest
Cruise Control
SymphonyII+
Xenon Headlights
BOSE
Interior Light Pack
Electric Lumbar Adj
Heated Front Seats
3 Spoke Lthr Multifuncion wheel

OutLore said:
As for the rest of the car, it will be S-Line, engine will be either TDi170 or TFSi depending on where I find to live and how close it is to the office.
I drove a170 courtesy car last week and it made me so so glad a didn't get one! I think the TFSI is more torquey even! well mine is anyway

Edit: and don't forget there's a whole thread on here devoted to people not happy with their 170s fuel consumption!

Edit: and don't forget there's a whole thread on here devoted to people not happy with their 170s fuel consumption!

There may be a thread about members being unhappy with the fuel consumption of their new 170s but that's when they compare it to their old 140. It's still better that you will get from a 2.0TFSI if fuel consumption is important to you.

The overall consumption from new on my 170 currently stands at 37.6mpg, but so far I've done just under 1000 miles. The Audi Driver magazine overall test figure for the 2.0TFSI was 27.5mpg.

Before I changed my A3 I had a test drive in both a new 2.0TDI-170 and a 2.0TFSI on the same day and I must say I preferred the 170. Other that the engines both cars were of similar spec.

First fish of the day! lol

You prefered to drive the 170? If fuel consumption wasn't an issue would you still have the 170?

Let's not get into that again. Outlore has been on here long enough to know all the threads about diesel v petrol, so it's up to him now. Horses for courses.

Good luck with the car Outlore, and welcome back, are you glad to be back?

Don't forget Quattro too Mr Outlore - if you're gonna have all that power (with either engine) you might as well put it to good use....

I see you have lumbar support in your spec - good move - given some of the recent threads.

h5djr said:

Why?? The bigger the rev range the better I think. I love the TFSI but I wish it had VVT too and an 8000rpm redline. I guess we just get our fun in different ways.

Yeah good to be back... I ruled out Quattro, as the new Mrs. OutLore will be arriving soon and she can't drive a manual... Plus the tax level for Quattro on a company car is a lot higher than a FWD.

And yes, I am fully aware of the petrol vs. diesel argument. The deciding factor is how far away from work I am. Some of the places I am looking at are 40+ miles away, so that will really require me to get a diesel. Some are 3 miles away, and I can have a petrol.

Personally if I can I'll get a petrol I will...

i'm not too keen on maritious blue - prefer moro blue - if you like blue and black you should like this colour - has nice variations of colour in sunlight but looks black at night - very deep colour and very rewarding to polish/clean - however like black you need to kepp it clean for it to look its best

Eeef said:
'privacy glass' is for chavs and twats.

or for people with babies/toddlers who don't wish to stick those god awful cartoon-charactered pieces of sh1t to the rear windows.

staz1000 said:
First fish of the day! lol

You prefered to drive the 170? If fuel consumption wasn't an issue would you still have the 170?

There can't be many who would take a diesel over a petrol if fuel consumption wasn't an issue.
It's madness,like saying you'd rather have fish paste than fresh monkfish.
I've been driving about in a poxy 1.4 petrol Beetle for the past day,while my car is getting loads of chips sorted out,and although it's dreadfully slow it's brilliant to have the refinement and revs of a petrol again.
The beetle only starts moving at the sort of revs diesels redline !

It's just such a damned shame they can't make decent petrol engines with CO2 levels as low as diesels,for us company car users.
Sure,you can get some (like the Honda VTEC 1.8 petrols),but they don't have much in the way of performance.
Just look at the efficient Fsi Audi engine...hopelessly insipid.

Diesels are through necessity for most,not choice,surely ?

There's a new Mrs Outlore, easy there Spence, slow things down...

Let's get things in perspective first, pics please.

I saw a white sportback the other day, with chrome rails, did look the nuts.

But if your going for the Mauritius blue (the weak blue colour one), then go for a black grill with black rails, and maybe some powder coated black RS6 alloys too. Would make it look more reasonable.

bowfer said:
There can't be many who would take a diesel over a petrol if fuel consumption wasn't an issue.
It's madness,like saying you'd rather have fish paste than fresh monkfish.
I've been driving about in a poxy 1.4 petrol Beetle for the past day,while my car is getting loads of chips sorted out,and although it's dreadfully slow it's brilliant to have the refinement and revs of a petrol again.
The beetle only starts moving at the sort of revs diesels redline !

It's just such a damned shame they can't make decent petrol engines with CO2 levels as low as diesels,for us company car users.
Sure,you can get some (like the Honda VTEC 1.8 petrols),but they don't have much in the way of performance.
Just look at the efficient Fsi Audi engine...hopelessly insipid.

Diesels are through necessity for most,not choice,surely ?

That's exactly why I asked that direct question. I wholeheartedly understand why diesel is a better option for some but I can't understand why anyone would pick one over petrol when economy isn't an issue. Especially when the TFSI is such a torquey engine.

The 170 I drove was powerful yeah but I can't get used to such a low redline. The powerband is only about 2000rpm wide (correct me if I'm wrong) and that's just not the fun it should be.

The CTR engine was fantastic. I used to rip into my mate cos his turbo charged engine produced the same power as my NA, but now I have that same engine I've seen it's a different world. I had to change gear constantly if I wanted to get some speed. The TFSI gives me that power whenever I want it.

But then also I miss that surge of power from 6000rpm!

I would love audis and hondas engineers to get together and make a TFSI I-VTEC engine. I'm sure there's probably a few reasons why it can't be done. Differences in injection techniques being one of them. But if it were possible imagine driving a TFSI where when the boost is dropping the VTEC kicks and it takes off again!

:hubbahubba:

Ok, so if Mauritius blue is the colour, then the black grille is a no-no... Configured one on the Audi configurator and it does look a bit odd.

Probably going to leave the tints, too.

Looks like I will be 1.8 miles from the office, so a 2.0TFSi it is!!! Going to cost me about £24/month more on tax than the TDi170, which is about £20/month more than the TDi140, but I'll only need to pay for fuel for 4 miles a day, compared to the 36 I used to do in the TDi, as the other 40,000 a year is pretty much covered by the company.

Thanks for all your opinions!

If you don't like black have you thought about Lava Grey? It's about as dark as you can go without it being a PITA to clean, Then you can have the Optics Grille which IMHO looks great on any Dark colour A3 :)