Facelift New S3 advice

soziblewuup

Reaction score
Hi,

First off, apologies if this post is in the wrong location.

I have learnt the new next generation S3 is set for release in 2019. I was in the process of configuring a new facelift S3 when I found this information online.

I'm currently of the opinion I should wait until the new S3 is released before looking at placing an order (a little part of me hopes more tech will be included as standard).

I'm currently in a 4 year PCP with Seat which comes to an end at the end of April next year. This has raised some concerns as I am unfamiliar with the process of purchasing a vehicle from new.

My main concern is the PCP will expire before the new car is released. I have no idea how far in advance of the release of a new car you can order. Would Audi be able to help me out in the interim if I am required to part exchange e.g. 2 weeks before the delivery of my new vehicle?

With regards to ordering the car itself, can you configure the car before the release date? e.g. would I be able to get this ordered in Feb before a March/April release?

If so, would brokers such as carwow offer configuration of the new version at this time? Or would they only offer the new version after the initial release?

If anyone can shed some light on the above, that would be great! I feel the process is a little hazy for me at the moment.

Depends where you got that information from, as far as I was aware Audi had not even officially announced an A3, and therefore S3/RS3. I may be wrong?

I'd say that until it was announced, and then it would be some time again before it went on sale, until that point, I'd be very surprised if an Audi dealership would speak on the matter at all, besides telling you to sit and wait for any news, what you do with your current car in the meantime, is up to you. Brokers such as carwow are likely to be slightly behind, the initial build slots will be taken by orders placed directly through Audi dealerships I imagine.

Take the new Merc A class for example, that has been announced, but at the moment I don't believe you can place an order yet...

My advice to you would be, if you could stomach getting the current facelift S3 and it likely being out of date not too far in, then go for it, you're quite likely to get a good discount, I did 6 months ago (15%) through carwow. If you are desperate to hold out until the new model, have you considered paying your final payment and keeping the car? I don't know how much it is but if you're in pos equity and can afford it, then you're not likely to lose masses of money when you resell. Bar that, you could hand the Seat back and look for shortish term leases?

Thank you for the response Sam, that's good advice.

I haven't read any formal statement from Audi; however, a number of car magazines are stating it's coming in 2019 (potentially unreliable information).

I think I may wait closer to the time, assess come 2019 whether the new version is to be released and hopefully by then there will be some nice deals on the facelift. If not, I may look into a pre-owned facelift. Currently I'm getting offers up to 10% off retail through carwow. 15% would be optimal so good to hear they can go as far as 15%.

I'll spec one on carwow early-2019 to see if there's a difference. I really like the facelift so would have no trouble going down that route.

Thank you!

Frankly, I am always leery of buying a new model in it's first year of release. That is due to normally minor but nonetheless irritating issues surfacing. Also, the S3 might be a further year down the road for introduction from the A3.

Reactions: Tom.H and Audi Bairn
I will be in line for a new platform S3 when they are released next year but ZERO news on this car at the moment.

Realistically I think it will towards the end of this year before we get any firm news.

Regular A3 would usually be first followed by S3 some months later, but it would be nice if they were lauched at the same time.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Frankly, I am always leery of buying a new model in it's first year of release. That is due to normally minor but nonetheless irritating issues surfacing. Also, the S3 might be a further year down the road for introduction from the A3.

That's a good point, and something I had not considered.

I will be in line for a new platform S3 when they are released next year but ZERO news on this car at the moment.

Realistically I think it will towards the end of this year before we get any firm news.

Regular A3 would usually be first followed by S3 some months later, but it would be nice if they were launched at the same time.

I think I'll wait it out till later this year / early 2019. As you say, we could have some news by the end of this year. I'm a little restricted due to my current PCP and will try and avoid a short term hire if possible. No news by then, or a release of only the A3, and I'll opt for the facelift.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
That's a good point, and something I had not considered.

I think I'll wait it out till later this year / early 2019. As you say, we could have some news by the end of this year. I'm a little restricted due to my current PCP and will try and avoid a short term hire if possible. No news by then, or a release of only the A3, and I'll opt for the facelift.

The thing is and it is a BIG thing............Expect very little discount on the All New S3.......BUT......being one of the first adopters of the the car....ie looking past/forward....... Residuals secondhand will be very high......indeed when it comes to selling it on......

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Interesting comment Snake, S3 over an RS3?

Yeah mate :yes:

I was lucky & got one of the pre-fl RS3’s at what seams a bargain price now.
They hiked up the FL by £5k !

The RS3 is awesome but it’s not a £50k+ car with options & when the new platform arrives no doubt it will be nudging £55k plus options.

The S is the sweet spot in the Audi range and I reckon the new S3 will be close on performance to my RS3, it will just be the soundtrack I will lose.

But by then the new car should look slick as hell, have great tech & being brand new should still feel special.

I also think the S3 will be even pricer then it is now so at least the jump in price to change will be lower than going for another RS.

Finally - the RS will likely be released a year or so after the S and I won’t be able to wait that long. I will have kept my RS3 longer than any other car as it is - so no way I could extend that further lol :)

So that’s my logic & thinking :icon thumright:

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Yeah mate :yes:

I was lucky & got one of the pre-fl RS3’s at what seams a bargain price now.
They hiked up the FL by £5k !

The RS3 is awesome but it’s not a £50k+ car with options & when the new platform arrives no doubt it will be nudging £55k plus options.

The S is the sweet spot in the Audi range and I reckon the new S3 will be close on performance to my RS3, it will just be the soundtrack I will lose.

But by then the new car should look slick as hell, have great tech & being brand new should still feel special.

I also think the S3 will be even pricer then it is now so at least the jump in price to change will be lower than going for another RS.

Finally - the RS will likely be released a year or so after the S and I won’t be able to wait that long. I will have kept my RS3 longer than any other car as it is - so no way I could extend that further lol :)

So that’s my logic & thinking :icon thumright:

If there's to be another RS3 expect it to be released in Sept 2021,the All new A3 SHOULD BE REVEALED.....at next years Paris Motor show and the reveal of the new S3 in September 2019 and in showrooms April 2020,l also predict the current RS3 will cease production at the end of this year because of the forthcoming of the new A3

Reactions: Daveotto, wab172uk, Flying Scotsman and 1 other person
If there's to be another RS3 expect it to be released in Sept 2021,the All new A3 SHOULD BE REVEALED.....at next years Paris Motor show and the reveal of the new S3 in September 2019 and in showrooms April 2020,l also predict the current RS3 will cease production at the end of this year because of the forthcoming of the new A3

Crazy where prices have gone in a relatively short space of time.

I paid £30k for a brand new TTS in 2011 fully loaded !!! They are £40k base now !
Similar £10k jump for S3 from 2011 too.

Yep RS3 days are numbered with new platform next year.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn
New Golf is coming end of this year. Golfs are always before the A3's, so A3 will come out next year, and S3 very very shortly after. It's a logical analysis by the op.

New Golf is coming end of this year. Golfs are always before the A3's, so A3 will come out next year, and S3 very very shortly after. It's a logical analysis by the op.

& Golf R will arrive before S3.

Reactions: Jassyo06
To the OP.

As said above. The new A3 may be released next year, but the S3 will be behind that, to spring/summer 2020 at the earliest.

Also as stated above, if you buy any new car just at it's released, then expect to pay book price. Wait 12 months and the initial sales boom from those desperate for the car will have died out, and discounts will be available, just like the current RS3

So, realistically, for any sort of discounted S3, you're looking at back end of 2020, spring 2021.

I'm skeptical the new A3 will be out next year. The A1 is due this year, then the A6 is next in line for replacement as it's older than the A3.

The 8P lasted 9 years whereas the 8V will only have been available for 7 by the end of 2019. Also the facelift has only been out for two years and I think they'd want more than 3 years life out of that.

I'd put money on the new A3 in 2020 and then the S3 a year after in 2021.

Reactions: Daveotto
Current Q3 from 2011 and based on 8P A3 platform is only just being seen testing and slated for launch at Paris in Autumn 2018 and selling in 2019. I figure the late 2019 launch for 2020 sale is a reasonable bet for the A3 and probably a S3 later in 2020 as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm skeptical the new A3 will be out next year. The A1 is due this year, then the A6 is next in line for replacement as it's older than the A3.

The 8P lasted 9 years whereas the 8V will only have been available for 7 by the end of 2019. Also the facelift has only been out for two years and I think they'd want more than 3 years life out of that.

You could be right TBH. The MK8 Golf is set for release June next year. So the A3 will be 6/9 months behind that for some reason?

Anyone wanting a new shape S3 is wise to get a new car now to fill in the gap.

Current Q3 from 2011 and based on 8P A3 platform is only just being seen testing and slated for launch at Paris in Autumn 2018 and selling in 2019. I figure the late 2019 launch for 2020 sale is a reasonable bet for the A3 and probably a S3 later in 2020 as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It is bonkers that, as the Q3 is based on the Tiguan chassis. And the New Tiguan has been out for some time now. It makes you wonder why Audi are so far behind VW when the cars are essentially the same, bar a different body. By the time the Q3 does come out, the Tiguan will be nearing its mid-life re-styling.

It is bonkers that, as the Q3 is based on the Tiguan chassis. And the New Tiguan has been out for some time now. It makes you wonder why Audi are so far behind VW when the cars are essentially the same, bar a different body. By the time the Q3 does come out, the Tiguan will be nearing its mid-life re-styling.

Situation is reversed for Q7 vs. Toureg. We're obviously not privy to the inner technical and political issues at VAG, Audi and VW. I'm sure that sales and a ton of other factors drive product cycles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The all new A6 has been revealed before this years Motor show and ITS available come early summer,the ALL new A3 will be out next year 100% sure about that and the face lift A3/S3 is 2 years old exactly from its reveal,early cars where in the UK late May 2016...So like it or lump it

What's "like it or lump it" supposed to mean? Makes no difference to me.

I still reckon it'll be 2020. If it is 2019 then it'll be right at the very end of the year at best. Guess we'll find out.

Due to the possibility of the S3 arriving in 2020, I've gone ahead and ordered the FL S3 - which I think looks great. Very excited.

Thank you for all the help. Really appreciate all of the information provided.

Last edited:
Due to the possibility of the S3 arriving in 2020, I've gone ahead and ordered the FL S3 - which I think looks great. Very excited.

Thank you for all the help. Really appreciate all of the information provided.
Hopefully it was a saloon