Pothole - need new wheel

Ryman

Reaction score
so I hit a pothole tonight - it’s massive about 25cm deep and about 75cm long!

Long story short it split my tyre and has buckled my wheel

I wondered if anyone knew the price of a standard S3 18” wheel from TPS/Audi was?

That S3 alloy is £643.61, but you should get a bit of discount on that from TPS. (>10%)

That S3 alloy is £643.61, but you should get a bit of discount on that from TPS. (>10%)
Minging... the local farmer said the pothole has been there for a couple of weeks and it’s massive so I’m hoping I can claim through the council for new wheel and tyre...

Reactions: oli356
25cm is 10 inches deep !!!! . That's not a pot hole it's a crater. Are you sure it's that big. Going to the council would be my first course of action, followed by a trip to the opticians, How did you not see that?.

Reactions: 4K
25cm is 10 inches deep !!!! . That's not a pot hole it's a crater. Are you sure it's that big. Going to the council would be my first course of action, followed by a trip to the opticians, How did you not see that?.
Yeah ok edge I can fit my whole hand from top of road to bottom of pothole and middle is about 25cm - I live in rural Norfolk and it was in water so looked like a 2cm puddle on single track road but it’s just a massive hole!!

Ouch!
Most Local Authorities have a reporting portal on their websites to report road defects, as well as a claim form.
All depends whether you can prove they were negligent in the maintenance regime.
If it's been reported before and they've not repaired it in a reasonable time you should be successful - requesting info under data protection act could help.
Either way, make sure you get photos of the pot hole and the damage.
Everyone should report pot holes to aid these claims.
I've just managed to get a road near us repaired over 100 yds within two weeks through reporting and chasing it - was like a B52 had carpet bombed it!
good luck mate :thumbs up:

Ouch!
Most Local Authorities have a reporting portal on their websites to report road defects, as well as a claim form.
All depends whether you can prove they were negligent in the maintenance regime.
If it's been reported before and they've not repaired it in a reasonable time you should be successful - requesting info under data protection act could help.
Either way, make sure you get photos of the pot hole and the damage.
Everyone should report pot holes to aid these claims.
I've just managed to get a road near us repaired over 100 yds within two weeks through reporting and chasing it - was like a B52 had carpet bombed it!
good luck mate :thumbs up:

I can’t believe no one has not reported this one so hopefully will be ok! I’ll hqve to get dad the solicitor on to it lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn
How you define a "reasonable" time frame is beyond me though, I read something about a council saying they would deal with it within like 15 weeks!? How the heck is that reasonable! At least for big ones....

I don't think you will get any joy on this as they will say they didn't know about it and normally they will spray paint a ring around the hole to let people know it's been reported

I managed to to get one from E Bay - used but in excellent condition for £250 -- just wanted a fifth wheel in case.
I though t the white painted circles were so the contractors knew which hole to fill - there's usually several and they only seem to do the 'worst' one....whilst there for heavens sake drop a bit of tarmac in them all.
Potholes can easily be lethal for two wheel users.

I don't think you will get any joy on this as they will say they didn't know about it and normally they will spray paint a ring around the hole to let people know it's been reported

I’m not sure I know people locally have managed to do it, but I’m not sure with a £700+ bill with tyres...

I managed to to get one from E Bay - used but in excellent condition for £250 -- just wanted a fifth wheel in case.
I though t the white painted circles were so the contractors knew which hole to fill - there's usually several and they only seem to do the 'worst' one....whilst there for heavens sake drop a bit of tarmac in them all.
Potholes can easily be lethal for two wheel users.

Yeah I’ve managed to contact someone locally selling some so hoping they’re in good condition and that’ll solve it

How you define a "reasonable" time frame is beyond me though, I read something about a council saying they would deal with it within like 15 weeks!? How the heck is that reasonable! At least for big ones....
I agree. It's a phrase used throughout law in this country, including contract law (construction) which I get involved in quite a bit. It's really up to a judge to decide what would be considered reasonable. My local council are actually quite prompt, but when you report an issue online it tells you what periods will apply. The road I mentioned earlier isn't an A, B or even a C road............. it's a U (unclassified) almost single track road and they fixed it within 2 weeks so fair play to them.

Reactions: oli356

Many people do though. It's down to how hard you push them and if they can provide mitigating evidence. Their hope is that people give up too easily.

Having taken a picture and used a ruler to show the size and depth . I did that , reported to the police and got reference number . I claimed from insurance and provided all the detail to them . They recovered and got my excess back. Good luck

Having taken a picture and used a ruler to show the size and depth . I did that , reported to the police and got reference number . I claimed from insurance and provided all the detail to them . They recovered and got my excess back. Good luck
Out of interest, why the police if there was no crime?

I was on a motor bike and it nearly threw me off and could have killed me . The police did report it to the council and it was repaired within 24 hours .
I felt it was a real risk of killing another biker.

I was on a motor bike and it nearly threw me off and could have killed me . The police did report it to the council and it was repaired within 24 hours .
I felt it was a real risk of killing another biker.
Ah gotcha :thumbs up:
A councillor near here has taken up the baton in trying to assist getting potholes fixed after a friend of his was seriously injured after hitting a pot hole whilst cycling.

It was a few years ago , but at the time I was advanced motor cycle instructor and advanced examiner.
I spent 6 days riding under the eyes of a Met Police instructor from Hendon to pass at the level . Maybe that helped . It destroyed the alloy wheel and tyre . The bike was a fairly rare make ( Moto Morini ) so took time to get a new wheel . I was fairly upset and of course felt there was a real risk to public safety. There needs more to be done as our roads are a disgrace . So called poorer countries than us have much better ( EU funded) roads than we do