Rear Camera any advice ?

Ted Lindsay

Reaction score
Hey, I have been looking to get the pioneer AVH-Z7000DAB installed into my A3 2006.
If
I installed this stereo, would I also be able to install a rear parking camera as well, do they plug in the same ? Obviously coding is needed, but I have been seeing that you need Audi's specific Navigation to do anything.
Thanks

Hey, I have been looking to get the pioneer AVH-Z7000DAB installed into my A3 2006.
If
I installed this stereo, would I also be able to install a rear parking camera as well, do they plug in the same ? Obviously coding is needed, but I have been seeing that you need Audi's specific Navigation to do anything.
Thanks

Just had a quick look at the specs online, it has rear camera input so yes you can add rear camera with the headunit you mentioned
Very simple to do, with the most difficult part being removing the trims and running the wire from tailgate to head unit.
1 video cable (yellow connector) from tailgate to headunit, power (red connector) splices into reverse light.

Fitted a nice rear view camera on my A3 that replaces one of the number plate lights for an OEM look (see link in my signature)

I have fitted a rear parking camera to my 2010 A3
The yellow connector to the head unit & red wire to the reversing bulb. Works fine when selecting reverse without the engine running but lose the image once I start the engine. Can only think there is a drop in voltage to the reverse bulb when the engine running. Do you have any advise
Thanks

The yellow connector to the head unit & red wire to the reversing bulb. Works fine when selecting reverse without the engine running but lose the image once I start the engine. Can only think there is a drop in voltage to the reverse bulb when the engine running. Do you have any advise
Thanks

Could it be that video in motion block is activated? You don't say how you have connected the camera to the head unit, not what head unit you've got???

Thanks
I vaguely remember having a similar issue when fitting reverse camera to my seat leon few years ago.
I think the issue I had was that I had spliced into the brake/tail light instead of reverse light.

Measure volts with a multi-meter to get a better idea

No problem fitting aftermarket Head Units and no coding to do. You can buy a camera that replaces one of the number plate lights just like the OE version but does require a hole being drilled in the number plate lamp housing for the cable and plugs to pass through. The red wire connects to the reverse light supply wire and you need a good chassis connection, there is a proper chassis -ve stud inside the hatch.
As said above the cable to the head unit does take time to run without being seen.

No problem fitting aftermarket Head Units and no coding to do. You can buy a camera that replaces one of the number plate lights just like the OE version but does require a hole being drilled in the number plate lamp housing for the cable and plugs to pass through. The red wire connects to the reverse light supply wire and you need a good chassis connection, there is a proper chassis -ve stud inside the hatch.
As said above the cable to the head unit does take time to run without being seen.

6d65a767fac961d90fafae8398160951.jpg

Thats the one I have fitted, couldnt get a flush fit as the wire is in the way a little but cannot tell at all

Hi, am in same position. Planning to use Kenwood head unit along with reversing camera, have OCD as I prefer more of factory fitted looks than aftermarket fit. Spend a while searching and manage to come across full grip surround with camera hole. It would allow most camera to slot in, as wanted to use Kenwood's camera as head unit would allow me to adjust the parking distance marking while most cheaper camera got marking stamped on in the camera.

Going to fit it on car once got the head unit and camera. Might be a long wait as just discover that I got car with typical 2.0tdi issue. Hope it's sorted just now if it is then will be getting head unit asap, then post outcome here.

IMG 0110
IMG 0111

Reactions: D7YAB and samisnake
Hi, am in same position. Planning to use Kenwood head unit along with reversing camera, have OCD as I prefer more of factory fitted looks than aftermarket fit. Spend a while searching and manage to come across full grip surround with camera hole. It would allow most camera to slot in, as wanted to use Kenwood's camera as head unit would allow me to adjust the parking distance marking while most cheaper camera got marking stamped on in the camera.

Going to fit it on car once got the head unit and camera. Might be a long wait as just discover that I got car with typical 2.0tdi issue. Hope it's sorted just now if it is then will be getting head unit asap, then post outcome here.

thats gonna look great. ive gone with a boot handle camera which i think should look pretty incognito when fitted, but that built in one will look oem. how much was the new surround?

Choose that one as it allows me to install camera of my choice as there’s loads on ebay for one with camera build in already and was asking around £400 for it. Got mine off germany ebay for £90 and it’s brand new.

Reactions: S.
Could it be that video in motion block is activated? You don't say how you have connected the camera to the head unit, not what head unit you've got???

Sorry for a very late reply.
The head unit is Pioneer AVIC-F980DAB
Connected to the head unit with the supplied yellow male to male RCA connector with detection wire. Detection cable at the rear is connected to the power supply to the reversing light.
Can not see any motion block setting on the head unit, there is very few settings other than turning the camera on and display on.
With the camera on and display on I get an image on the display when in reverse gear but when I deselect reverse the image stays on screen, the only way to close the image is by pressing the X symbol on the screen but this turns off the camera in the settings.
This is all without the engine running once the engine is running the display does not switch to camera view, just stays with the radio/iPod mode display.
Hope I have explained this well enough and appreciate any advice

My head unit takes a minute or so to fully turn on, I guess the processor needs to fire up and switch all the functions on. If I start the car and reverse the car straight away, the camera either doesn't show the image on the screen or the image does show and stays there when going forward. If the car is started and I do not reverse for a minute then all works as it should.
My head unit is a Dynavin and does have a slow operating system but I have no idea how the Pioneers work.

Sorry for a very late reply.
The head unit is Pioneer AVIC-F980DAB
Connected to the head unit with the supplied yellow male to male RCA connector with detection wire. Detection cable at the rear is connected to the power supply to the reversing light.
Can not see any motion block setting on the head unit, there is very few settings other than turning the camera on and display on.
With the camera on and display on I get an image on the display when in reverse gear but when I deselect reverse the image stays on screen, the only way to close the image is by pressing the X symbol on the screen but this turns off the camera in the settings.
This is all without the engine running once the engine is running the display does not switch to camera view, just stays with the radio/iPod mode display.
Hope I have explained this well enough and appreciate any advice
I had this problem. Discovered that my head unit has canbus so knows when in reverse, and then supplies 12v to a cable at the back of the unit. You can connect this to the red cable attached to the RCA cable that runs to the rear, and attach the other end of the red cable to the camera power. No need to splice into reverse light.

Of course all depends on whether you have canbus

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk