B6 S4 - Engine doesn't start, chain dead or just all coils? Video

NogaroMoneyPit

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Arnaud from London here.

My B6 S4 refuses to start... Initially I thought that's it it's the famous chain that just snapped but then I thought it would just not make any noise then? So my second thought is that maybe it's just 7/8 or all the coil packs that decided to bust?

Let me know guys. I like this car but it's not been an easy ownership experience...

I made a video of what happen / sound the engine makes when I attempt to start it:

I tried to post a pic of the car too for your eyes, but all the ones I have are over 2MB. Will try to compress one and add.

Thanks a lot for the help.

A.

As promised, a picture of her during a road-trip to Montenegro!

Attachments

• IMG_0619-min.JPG
    IMG_0619-min.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0619-min.JPG
    IMG_0619-min.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 95
I am not clued up on chains, but if a belt snaps you wouldn't have it almost starting just a high pitched horrible turnover noise.. it's always pretty obvious

Can't help further I'm afriad, hope you find the answer !

Thanks, so it could be something not as disastrous then?

I'll post on other Audi forums and see what people say there. Is Audizine the largest?

Thanks, so it could be something not as disastrous then?

I'll post on other Audi forums and see what people say there. Is Audizine the largest?

It doesn't say where about's you are in the country, if you put in your profile where you are there may be someone in striking distance that has VCDS/VAGcom that could pop round and see what fault codes you have it would be far more accurate than trying to diagnose it of a very brief video clip.

Apologies, I will complete my profile. I live in Central London but actually the car broke down while I was visiting my parents in France (Normandy).

I do not have a sophisticated VAGCOM but my little OBD2 gizmo was throwing up the following codes:
P0300
P0302
P0304
P0307
P0308

This was after I initially erased all codes, so sometimes new ones will come up. These codes are all cylinder misfire-related. Whenever my coil packs died, I would have 1 or 2 showing up, but never had 5 at the same time and the car not starting at all...

Reactions: GrahamS4
Apologies, I will complete my profile. I live in Central London but actually the car broke down while I was visiting my parents in France (Normandy).

I do not have a sophisticated VAGCOM but my little OBD2 gizmo was throwing up the following codes:
P0300
P0302
P0304
P0307
P0308

This was after I initially erased all codes, so sometimes new ones will come up. These codes are all cylinder misfire-related. Whenever my coil packs died, I would have 1 or 2 showing up, but never had 5 at the same time and the car not starting at all...

That looks like you have a sensor gone, maybe camshaft or crank shaft position sensor, P0300 is random misfire and the others I believe are individual cylinder misfire codes. Check the link at the top of the page, VCDS Map, and see if there's someone near you that you can buy a drink and get them to do a diagnostic on it rather than randomly swap parts around in hope and spend more than you need.

With all the missfire codes I suspect low fuel pressure, either the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump itself. I would pull the fuel pump relay and see how it looks, cheap enough to replace.

Crank angle/engine speed sensor won't show any rpm's when trying to start.