Tax Rebate - How Do I Go About It?

emzino

Reaction score
Hey there. Apparently this is the time of the year I meant to get a Tax Rebate from Inland Revenue. Now do I do this by going to there website, do I call them up, or do they contact me?

I've never done it before :keule:

they may contact you, I got a cheque for 14 quid. If in doubt call your tax office up, normally if you go in there the'll sort it straight away.
They're pretty helpful even if they are robbing ********.

If your due one you normally get a letter, and if it's a small amount they will pass it onto next year for you (I got £11 back this year and they just adjust my tax code to suit) Did you fill in a form or are you selfemployed? because if you aren't doing either then you normally wont get notification.

your having a laugh aren't you....them barstewards at the IR have owed me ninety quid since I filled in the self asessment form and have not seen a penny
mugs

A while since I got mine, but I think they need a P60 (end of year earnings statement) from which they calculate how much tax you should have paid. The best thing to do is phone up your tax office; your employer can tell you where this is.

I filled my tax return in on-line last August and they transferred straight into my bank account the £950 I was owed within a week. I was pretty impressed.

jcs356 said:
I filled my tax return in on-line last August and they transferred straight into my bank account the £950 I was owed within a week. I was pretty impressed.

Wow....... That 'is' impressive, something this Government has got right.........!! Trouble is it was only £9-50 you were owed.....:)

Just Plain Old said:
Wow....... That 'is' impressive, something this Government has got right.........!! Trouble is it was only £9-50 you were owed.....:)
Don't know if you were being ironic there, but to clarify, it was £950 so not small change.

Yes but if you filed your return right at the last moment then you won't have received it just yet. Normally arrives after April start for me, waiting on £1500, my wifes already spent it!

voorhees said:
your having a laugh aren't you....them barstewards at the IR have owed me ninety quid since I filled in the self asessment form and have not seen a penny
mugs

On your tax return did you remember to tell them how you wanted the money returned? I.e paid into your account etc. If you don;t then they don't do anything with the money. Phone them up and they will sort it for you.

I normally end up with a rebate each year, I do my reutrn on line so it is even quicker and you can work out what they ower you. Normally have it in my account a few days later.

J.