I've been a complete numpty - is it fixable?

MarkOC

Reaction score
I was driving home yesterday evening and hit one of the hundreds of potholes on the West Sussex roads which resulted in a front drivers side puncture . I pulled over pretty quickly onto the verge to change the tyre. As it was freezing, dark, and a busy road I thought I had found the lifting point, but after I was almost hit by a passing car I think I moved the Jack before it had started lifting.
When the car started to lift up I noticed that the body work was bending out, I dropped the car back down and realised I wasn't on the lifting point.
Checking under the car today I can see the damage. Hopefully you can see how the body work has bent inwards under the car pushing out the trim and sill on the outside.
So do you guys think this is easily repairable, and how much will it cost?
Sorry for the poor quality under car pictures, the lighting made it difficult.

Attachments

• PSX_20180210_094314.jpg
    PSX_20180210_094314.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 502
  • PSX_20180210_094249.jpg
    PSX_20180210_094249.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 494
  • PSX_20180210_094217.jpg
    PSX_20180210_094217.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 489
Unfortunately no I don't think that's an easy repair. The local dent man won't fix that but a body shop may be able to pull it back straight.
You have used the weight of the car on that corner to deform the sill. your lucky it never came off the jack .

Oh dear, easily done under the circustances though. Hopefully it can be pulled out but sills can be replaced...

A long shot but you never know , get a heat gun on it and tap it back with a rubber mallet .

Speak with a decent body shop that’s your best bet but it will be fixable. I been in your situation before changing a wheel in the ******* rain and howling wind it’s not great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good to hear, I'll see if I can find one in Sussex

Quick update:
Good news - the damage can be repaired without replacing the sill. It should cost about £600 which is better than I was expecting so that's a relief.

Bad news - took the wheel in to get the tyre replaced and it turns out the wheel is buckled and fractured so I need a new wheel, £1080 for the wheel and tyre. I just hope I can claim it back of the local county council.

Cause and effect - how about pursuing for the Council for the sill also?

Reactions: SRB93
Cause and effect - how about pursuing for the Council for the sill also?
I'd like to try, but worried that they would reject the whole claim, and it says on their website that it's 8 weeks to process the claim.

Bad news - took the wheel in to get the tyre replaced and it turns out the wheel is buckled and fractured so I need a new wheel, £1080 for the wheel and tyre. I just hope I can claim it back of the local county council.

Good news on the sill repair :smiley: (well if ever £600 down can be considered good news) not so good on the wheel though :openmouth:, I believe you have an S4 with the multi spoke 19"s, if so I'd be tempted by these on a certain auction website:

clickyclicky

Been on sale a while now so I'd wager a cheeky offer might secure them, and you'd get 4 for less than one new one via Audi, either keep the others as spares or punt on again to recoup some of your outlay.

Reactions: Car_Allowance
Good news on the sill repair :smiley: (well if ever £600 down can be considered good news) not so good on the wheel though :openmouth:, I believe you have an S4 with the multi spoke 19"s, if so I'd be tempted by these on a certain auction website:

clickyclicky

Been on sale a while now so I'd wager a cheeky offer might secure them, and you'd get 4 for less than one new one via Audi, either keep the others as spares or punt on again to recoup some of your outlay.

Yeah, I saw those ones, but they are a 500 mile round trip to collect (without a working car), and I think there's only one that doesn't have any damage. Anyway my new wheel should be ready to go shortly.

Reactions: NickGun
Ah yes, 500miles round trip not great, least you're sorted although hit in the wallet, best of luck with the council and the pothole claim.

Collected my car from the body shop today, they have done a really good job on it and you can't see any evidence of the damage.

Just another 8 weeks until I hear back from the council about the compensation for the wheel.

Reactions: firebits, Spaceman_RS3 and Happy Grumpz
Glad you've got your car back and you're happy with the repair. Good luck with the claim...

Good luck with the council I’ve been in dispute with mine for months over a broken curb stone sticking out into the road that ripped a hole in the side of my new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tyre.

Despite supplying dash cam footage, freedom of information requests showing previous issues, highlighting incorrect road classification hierarchy they wouldn’t budge - useless

Woohoo, got home this evening to find a letter from the council, and they have paid out the full amount for the pothole damage to my wheel and tyre.

Reactions: cuke2u, Psychoscot, Paul Golding and 5 others
Great news, I'm awaiting a decision on my torn wheel cracked alloy following a pothole hit.