Headlight Protectors?

Badley

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here (intro here: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=35910 )

I'm hopefully going to pick my A3 at the end of next week, however I have a question that relates from past experience.

My current MkIV Golf headlights seem to absorb stones from the road, so I ended up buying some protectors which have saved £125 of damage a couple of times.

I know Audi sell headlight protectors for the A3 but they seem to incorporate continental beam defectors. Can anyone confirm whether I can just have the protectors without the beam deflectors either by word or by a pic?

I really looking forward to the new motor, however I want to be prepared...

Thanks

I've seen my dealer has them but never looked closely, don't think anyone on here has them from memory.

Best bet is to ask your dealer or email one of the online suppliers.

Badley said:
I know Audi sell headlight protectors for the A3 but they seem to incorporate continental beam defectors. Can anyone confirm whether I can just have the protectors without the beam deflectors either by word or by a pic?

It's sort of the other way around. You have to buy the protectors to use the beam deflectors. The 'deflectors' are actually just two black stickers that go on the protectors. lol! Does that make sense?

Anyhoo, I had to have these when I went abroad last year and I thought they were really poor quality. My friend has a Fabia with OEM protectors on and his clip into the recess around the headlight, easily removed for cleaning etc. I imagined the Audi ones would be similar. Instead there's a metal hook which fits over the top of the headlight and is screwed into place. Upshot is you have to use a screwdriver to get them off plus there's a very unsightly metal hook on display.

If I can find them I'll post a pic so you can get a better idea of what I mean.

Oh, welcome btw :)

Iv'e got them on my new S3.

Around £30 from the dealer and stickers come with them for driving abroad.

I wanted to keep my headlights stonechip/crack free!!

I have a set as well and have used them in the past when I have taken my previous A3 to Europe. Although the 'black patches' will not be much use with my new xenons, I am considering putting them on the car purely to protect the headlights from stones. The ones I had for my previous 8L A3 just clipped over the headlights but were prone to cracking when the bonnet was closed. The current ones do require a phillips screwdriver to remove but it's very easy to do. Interestingly although they are a genuine Audi parts they are made in Australia.

Didn't you think being able to see the metal hook was really poor?

JamS3 said:
Iv'e got them on my new S3.

Around £30 from the dealer and stickers come with them for driving abroad.

I wanted to keep my headlights stonechip/crack free!!

Pictures please Jamie, I might do this in the near future???

It's probably better than them cracking and the parts that clip over the headlights falling off each time you close the bonnet. That's what happened with the ones on my 8L.

They still clip over the headlights its only the clip that attaches to the cover with a screw, oh and they still crack. Mine did when I was taking it off to wash. Currently going through a warranty claim on them as they were only a few weeks old and should not have done that.

Standby for pics John I'll pop outside and do some now.

h5djr said:
Interestingly although they are a genuine Audi parts they are made in Australia.

So are my current MkIV's

Also, I thought is was wise not to use them with xenons

They are quite discreet hence can't really see them in the pics!

DSC00939.jpg

DSC00940.jpg

And the cracked one, does that look nice or what on a brand new car!

DSC00941.jpg

Probably worth suffering rather than having to pay for the cost of a new xenon headlight!

I swear by these things, but that just looks dire......

On my MK4 golf they were hidden under the bonnet where they clipped on, unless you really look at them then they don't jump up at you and say "look how ***** I look!"

I have just ordered some for My sportback with xenons... not worth risking 200+ for a new xenon light

Old thread revival... Anyone got part numbers for these?

Thanks

Cheers mate Iv found in a few places that confirm that.. Looks like they're about £40 ish!

Do they fit well?

Yes, easy to fit and very secure - used them on a few trips abroad. Plastic bends through 90deg at bottom and this slots in beneath the headlight. There's a metal clip at top to go over headlight that gets covered by bonnet. Wouldn't use them as a styling mod but if you want to protect your headlamps or fit beam deflectors for driving abroad they work well.

I'm wanting them purely for styling actually, I want to tint them so will have to do something about that stupid screw! Haha

I do like the look.
Looks like Stoke Audi are the only place that do them.
Going to order a pair and paint those silver tabs black straight away!

so to be a wrench in the machine of progress...you purchase those protectors and then they look bad from gravel and UV rays and then you need to change them. I suppose you have had experience with lamin-x which is a great product and does protect from gravel and UV rays and is very cheap to change when they start to look bad AND no tab. otherwise you may just need to buy lamin-x to protect the protectors