Facelift Occasional loud bang..

s3pa

Reaction score
Driving the RS3 for nearly a month now and noticed I don’t have a clue how the RS3 behaves sometimes In terms of sound.

It feels with every extra mile the car pops more and more but sometimes the pops vanishes. With the car in S from 3 to 2nd gear the pops are the loudest but occasionally in M from 2 to 1th there is this really loud bang. This happens very unexpected and makes me laugh every time.

Anyone noticed the same?

Certainly have mate, could be down to the dynamic mode map perhaps. However the pops are more noticeable from the first stages of a very spirited drive but once everything is running hot I’ve noticed you still get them but not as serve unless you are doing some extreme rpm down shifting. PFL owner by the way.

I have noticed the same also with my saloon, S mode from 3rd to 2nd seems to be the sweet spot but its intermittent which is a nice surprise, the cars getting louder and more pops and bangs as the miles rack up, currently on 1200

Reactions: DW81
Remember to cycle the drive-select menu to dynamic. If you just start the car and put the gearbox in "S" it won't pop and bang the same way, as if you choose dynamic again.. Thats what I've learned

Reactions: Terminator x
Hell I do all this on purpose!

My top tip though..... As you drive along, instead of dropping gear, just slide it over to Neutral and rev the car for half a second - lovely bangs.

I've got this down to such a fine art, it sounds like it is doing it anyway on the downshifts.

Still makes me look a right Cnut though. :)

Reactions: Terminator x, Adi7r, teslaboy and 1 other person
My top tip though..... As you drive along, instead of dropping gear, just slide it over to Neutral and rev the car for half a second - lovely bangs.

Sounds familiar! Coming towards a redlight 3-2nd crackle crackle pop -> 2nd to neutral, rev sounds like the exhaust is full of fuel and pops it out -> 2-1st loud bang. (This is the ideal “I want to be loud and the car knows it” situation thought and happens occasionally. (FL)

Sounds familiar! Coming towards a redlight 3-2nd crackle crackle pop -> 2nd to neutral, rev sounds like the exhaust is full of fuel and pops it out -> 2-1st loud bang. (This is the ideal “I want to be loud and the car knows it” situation thought and happens occasionally. (FL)

I’ve not tried this neutral while driving trick, I know what I’m doing tonight when I leave work.

I’ve not tried this neutral while driving trick, I know what I’m doing tonight when I leave work.

Hope the car doesn't get confused and make you put your foot on the break to engage a gear lol

I remember accelerating quite hard a while back with my hand resting on the gear stick. I accidentally slid it forward into neutral with my foot planted to the floor. Cue artillery fire!

Reactions: Terminator x
Hope the car doesn't get confused and make you put your foot on the break to engage a gear lol

Ah, that’s a downside haha.. maybe I will try this on a quieter stretch because you do need to apply the brake to put it into drive? I shall see.

I remember accelerating quite hard a while back with my hand resting on the gear stick. I accidentally slid it forward into neutral with my foot planted to the floor. Cue artillery fire!

I’m interested to try it, not something I’ve thought of tbh.

Can you recall if the car went back into drive without applying the brake?

I’m interested to try it, not something I’ve thought of tbh.

Can you recall if the car went back into drive without applying the brake?
Seem to recall it did!

Reactions: AudiNutta
Is it abit risky popping the gearbox in neutral when moving? Especially being something as complex as the stronic. Like to hear your thoughts lads.

Should be no problem:) Done it a few times on different S-tronics.. If it would be bad, it would be locked when driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jefecito hi there, you asked a question about the primary cat pipe number. When I was under the car earlier I couldn’t see it even when I shone a light up there. That etka drawing I sent you as those numbers on or are Audi saying there different?

Reactions: Jefecito
Jefecito hi there, you asked a question about the primary cat pipe number. When I was under the car earlier I couldn’t see it even when I shone a light up there. That etka drawing I sent you as those numbers on or are Audi saying there different?

Hi mate, thanks for having a look there ! I believe the number on the drawing is the right one, just was curious because I can't find any OEM part for sale on eBay and stuff with that number.
I'm having a P0420 DTC for catalyst performance under threshold but besides the code the car is running perfectly fine.
Thanks again.

Hi mate, thanks for having a look there ! I believe the number on the drawing is the right one, just was curious because I can't find any OEM part for sale on eBay and stuff with that number.
I'm having a P0420 DTC for catalyst performance under threshold but besides the code the car is running perfectly fine.
Thanks again.
No worries mate, have you thought about giving Audi a shout on this part even if you speak to someone in parts and have them give you the correct part number from there database, good luck fella.

No worries mate, have you thought about giving Audi a shout on this part even if you speak to someone in parts and have them give you the correct part number from there database, good luck fella.

Well my Audi dealer doesn't have a clue about RS cars, they actually don't even sell them (I live in Morocco).
When I took the car there they basically just scanned it and said there's nothing to worry about and that it's probably the gas quality harming the catalyst. I don't trust their knowledge about that kind of cars though. :smiley:

I've only done 450miles so far but all
The loud bangs so far have come
From 4th down to 3rd ... really quite loud

L
Ah, that’s a downside haha.. maybe I will try this on a quieter stretch because you do need to apply the brake to put it into drive? I shall see.

DON’T brake! Just glide it gently into S from manual, push the button on the gearstick and it moves into neutral quite smoothly. To go back in S push the button again and move it towards you. Easy as 123. Not recommend on high speeds thought.

L

DON’T brake! Just glide it gently into S from manual, push the button on the gearstick and it moves into neutral quite smoothly. To go back in S push the button again and move it towards you. Easy as 123. Not recommend on high speeds thought.

I tried it tonight on a steady decline to keep me at 30mph, wow.. had a lot of usual pops but also many BANGS! I love it. I shall be doing this more.

Reactions: DW81, s3pa and Callump01
Thank god we don’t have to do this in the PFL model:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Radman and T-800
I tried it tonight on a steady decline to keep me at 30mph, wow.. had a lot of usual pops but also many BANGS! I love it. I shall be doing this more.

I tried it too, epic fun, no issue, just make sure if you rev it at the lights or a stop you do it with one foot on the brake and not in neutral, otherwise you do need to apply the brake to get it back into gear and look a d**k messing around haha.

Just a note of caution: putting the ‘box in N whilst moving is a really bad idea as it can confuse the Mechatronic control unit in your DSG. I used to coast to a stop when I first bought a DSG car (about 15 years ago) and over time it developed a terrible kangaroo problem. I’m sure the newer boxes are more resilient, however just beware you could make problems for yourself down the line.

Reactions: DW81
Just a note of caution: putting the ‘box in N whilst moving is a really bad idea as it can confuse the Mechatronic control unit in your DSG. I used to coast to a stop when I first bought a DSG car (about 15 years ago) and over time it developed a terrible kangaroo problem. I’m sure the newer boxes are more resilient, however just beware you could make problems for yourself down the line.

I was sure I heard about issues of rolling the car in neutral :( Guess that confirms it.

I was sure I heard about issues of rolling the car in neutral :( Guess that confirms it.
It was an Audi Master Tech who told me not to do this when investigating the original problem. My subsequent cars have all been fine after I adapted my driving style.

It’s just one data point and not a causal-proof...

It was an Audi Master Tech who told me not to do this when investigating the original problem. My subsequent cars have all been fine after I adapted my driving style.

It’s just one data point and not a causal-proof...

I won’t make a habit of it then, a rare treat like launch control haha! 5 launches on my car now and no plans to do any more. Launch control is a show off factor, the car is quick enough for me driving normally haha.

Hell I do all this on purpose!

I've got this down to such a fine art, it sounds like it is doing it anyway on the downshifts.

Still makes me look a right Cnut though. :)
Chav chariot ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Is it abit risky popping the gearbox in neutral when moving? Especially being something as complex as the stronic. Like to hear your thoughts lads.
Nah I do it all the time too. Changes without having to brake in between.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

The only loud bang I’ve had is the kitchen door slamming as my wife stormed out when I told her I’d spent well into the forties on a new car

Reactions: FBF01, Callump01, Evil Diesel and 5 others
With over 6000 on the clock I feel the bangs are coming more frequently and louder. Today even in standstill I had some loud bangs while revving and I mean really loud, pfl loud...

Also friends are mentioning the car is much louder as before.

With over 6000 on the clock I feel the bangs are coming more frequently and louder. Today even in standstill I had some loud bangs while revving and I mean really loud, pfl loud...

Also friends are mentioning the car is much louder as before.
I struggle to believe that. Driven both at length and it's night and day difference.

I struggle to believe that. Driven both at length and it's night and day difference.

Hang about @Doc ......

Same thing happens on the FL Golf R there’s a noticeable change for the better in the exhaust tone as the miles rack up.

2000miles on mine now and it 100% bangs and cracks coming down the gears in S mode from 4 to 3, 3 to 2.
Definite improvement since new.

The best thing though is starting it up, the FL sounds fantastic.
In fact I've got this new game, which the other half thinks I'm a juvenile!, but I'll wait for unsuspecting members of the public to be right up close i.e car parks, garages etc then fire it up, boom bang crack, scares the shxt out people! while I'm chuckling to myself and the other half is shaking her head!

Reactions: Phil3, AudiNutta, Terminator x and 2 others
I have to admit to doing that too - just wait for them to get to the back of the car and fire it up. Some of the reactions are hilarious.......

Reactions: AudiNutta and DW81
Hang about @Doc ......

Same thing happens on the FL Golf R there’s a noticeable change for the better in the exhaust tone as the miles rack up.
Absolutely, I get that. But not to the degree that will make it sound as loud as the old iron block engine.

Absolutely, I get that. But not to the degree that will make it sound as loud as the old iron block engine.

The modified exhaust that's on order for mine has apparently had a frequency modification inside to prevent flap rattle.........

They say a TTRS was done recently and sounded better for it.

Reactions: DW81, AudiNutta and teslaboy
The modified exhaust that's on order for mine has apparently had a frequency modification inside to prevent flap rattle.........

They say a TTRS was done recently and sounded better for it.

When's yours getting done?
I'm eager to hear your comments on noise after......

Reactions: DW81, AudiNutta and T-800