Blowing cold air

AudiChris79

Reaction score
I know this has been asked already, however trawling through countless threads is something I've done but doesn't really answer the questions I have.

So the cars heating isn't working very well. Travelling around town it doesn't get warm let alone hot, we have spent £54 in a garage attempting to diagnose the problem, we haven't had the car for long less than 30 days. The garage got the car warm but now suggest that the water pump is on it's way out and the coolant isn't circulating properly.

However the car gets to temp and stays there it doesn't fluctuate and doesn't go past 90 either. I'm guessing the heater matrix isn't working correctly, this has been bled. Has anyone had the same issue or would anyone be inclined to agree with the garage and that the water pump is indeed on it's way out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris.

I would disagree about the pump, i would think it would overheat if it's not pumping correctly, my guess is either the coolant temperature sensor or an air lock.

It would overheat if the pump fails.Most likely is the heater matrix which can get bunged up and need replacing.Some have been able to reverse flush them with a garden hose worth a try but not a pleasant task at this time of year.Are both the pipes to the bulkhead getting equally hot? If not this indicates a blocked matrix.If takes a long time to get to 90 then maybe the stat has failed but I still think matrix

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, it doesn't take long to get to 90, so that would rule the stat out.

I'm not shy of getting my hands dirty, I just have to find the time to sort it out. I was pretty certain it was the heater matrix so I'm going to try and back flush it out first and if that doesn't help I will replace the matrix itself.

From the youtube videos, which may I point out all seem to be American so hopefully it will be pretty straightforward and easy enough for me to sort out.

Has anyone come across any issues while removing the matrix?

Thanks again
Chris.

A3 same issue....

ive stripped it out to get to the electric heater, as that was not working... fixed that...
when i put my hand into where the matrix is only half of it is hot... mines blocked...
the pipes are hot right to the matrix.

just noticed yours in in A4 pages...

I've got an Audi A4, been out today and checked to see what the garage did, they bled the matrix. Left a pool of water in recess below where the pipes go from the engine bay to the matrix. I had the engine running and pulled the pipe a little too far and it peed out the coolant at quite a high rate. So I would say 100% the water pump is working perfectly.

So next will be to flush the matrix, got to do some plumbing inside the house first as the outside tap isn't working. I can then flush the matrix and see how that works.

One question I do have, does Audi-Sport have a trade account with TPS or anything like that?

Thanks
Chris.