Amazon Music issue with MMI

Dave Wilson

Reaction score
Hi all - does anyone else use Amazon Music? I've got it set up okay (as in authorised in the iPhone MMI app etc...) and it all appears fine under the MMI. However when I try to launch the app on the MMI it just times out. See screenshots.
Please help!

Amazon error

Do you have an MY16 or MY17/18 car?

Do you have your phone connected via Wifi to the car? MY16 models you could have the MMI tether to your phone, but this was removed when the 'embedded SIM' was introduced in the MY17 onwards, meaning that you can only connect your phone to the car's Wi-fi. This in turn introduces another limitation...
iPhones will try to use the wifi for data - so unless you have your own data SIM in the car, or a Wi-Fi data plan from Cubic telecom, it will not work as it will try to use the car's data plan, not that on your phone.

I've not found a workaround for this yet, only to just keep on using Apple CarPlay as that keeps all the data usage in your phone.

Do you have an MY16 or MY17/18 car?

Do you have your phone connected via Wifi to the car? MY16 models you could have the MMI tether to your phone, but this was removed when the 'embedded SIM' was introduced in the MY17 onwards, meaning that you can only connect your phone to the car's Wi-fi. This in turn introduces another limitation...
iPhones will try to use the wifi for data - so unless you have your own data SIM in the car, or a Wi-Fi data plan from Cubic telecom, it will not work as it will try to use the car's data plan, not that on your phone.

I've not found a workaround for this yet, only to just keep on using Apple CarPlay as that keeps all the data usage in your phone.

Thanks I’m not sure If I have an MY17 but it was built this year (around August).

The iPhone *is* connected to the car (as shown in the pictures on the original post) I had a feeling that the phone wants to use the WiFi for data so that’s the issue.
I don’t know what Cubic Telecom is sorry.

It’s all very annoying as streaming in the likes of BMW is seamless and built-in.

The S4 is undoubtedly a nice car but to me (and I’m sure most people here) it’s the “little things” which make all the difference. And this is one of those “little things” which will have an impact when I choose my next marque.

Thanks.
I wonder how much this service costs. Although I thought they gave 3 years complimentary access anyway?

Whatever the charge it has to be in perspective - plugging in the phone via a cable vs paying for a wireless service.
Do you think it’ll be worth not plugging the phone in? I’ll wager not.

Yes you do with the mmi plus but to use the car as a wifi hotspot you need to purchase extra data from Cubic, or use your own data sim as the complimentary one only gives access to the connect services..

I have Amazon Music and regularly use it in my car but I don’t have the icon on the MMI as displayed above.

> Don’t think it’s anything to do with the SIM card. I’ve got one fitted

Sorry I'm being dense - if you have a SIM card in the phone then it is everything to do with the SIM ... isn't it?

THe built in SIM won't allow streaming though ... See post above from Cuke2u - "use your own data sim as the complimentary one only gives access to the connect services.."

Reactions: cuke2u
Okay this is an older subject but has just become relevant to me.

So just to understand when Audi talk about using your MMI as a wifi hotspot you have to use your own SIM card with your own data plan?

I wanted to try out the Amazon Music App. I presently use Google Music which I like but I do not like the crappy Android Play interface on the Audi and the fact the cable needs to be attached. I have the phone connected in Bluetooth mode and then play the Google Music App - this is fine but of course the choice of music has to be made from the phone and not though the MMI and steering wheel. So I thought this Audi supported Amazon Music App would be the answer. I installed the Amazon App set up a free Music trial and then set about trying to get it to work.

I got the car MMI wifi on and my Samsung S8 connected to it after entering the details. This is where things went downhill. It seems there is no data access to stream things. Is that correct?

Should I be putting a SIM card (large old style SIM card yes?) with a data plan into the slot in the glove box and then will I get the Amazon Music app on the MMI and be able to have a menu driven by the car MMI software?

If anybody has done this or if there is anybody who knows how I should do it then please let me know?

You shouldn't need a wifi hotspot, I might be wrong but I would have thought it would just stream through the sims card in the mmi slot..

I use Amazon Music, normally the phone is plugged in because I use carplay.
If you are using iOS, have you fallen foul of the feature Apple created that then was plastered around the internet that you need to switch it off? Its called WiFi Assist, this allows mobile data to be used if you are connected to a p**s poor internet connection.
Check Settings > Mobile Data .... Scroll all the way to the bottom, it's the 5th toggle up from the bottom.

Switch that on and try again?

You shouldn't need a wifi hotspot, I might be wrong but I would have thought it would just stream through the sims card in the mmi slot..
Yes I think if I have to go down the route of using a SIM card in the slot then the wi-fi part might be irrelevant. I'll have to wait until I get a SIM car adapter as I only have nano SIM cards and the slots look like the old big size Mini types.

If you are using iOS, have you fallen foul of the feature Apple created that then was plastered around the internet that you need to switch it off? Its called WiFi Assist, this allows mobile data to be used if you are connected to a p**s poor internet connection.
Check Settings > Mobile Data .... Scroll all the way to the bottom, it's the 5th toggle up from the bottom.

Switch that on and try again?
Thanks but running Android. I think that if I have to use my own supplied SIM card inserted into the slot then I might not need to use the WI-FI at all - unless creating a hot-spot for others in the car.

So I obtained a SIM card adapter and fitted my 2nd mobile card to make it up to the old Mini SIM card size. Then In with the SIM card in the slot as per the handbook. Set up my main phone as the principal phone, the inserted SIM as my secondary and data supplied from the inserted SIM.

Next set the MMI to stream Wi-Fi (using the SIM card. My main phone then received the Wi-Fi and I opened Amazon music and logged in.

I go to MMI media and find I now can see the Amazon music logo. Great I think. Only to be next confronted with Amazon music is not yet available in your country (France).

Audi France have been requested to reply....

Is the UK side working? This Amazon music thing only came out on the recent MMI android application update that came out just before Christmas.
08c0d11a6c92c5b56516b0140aa7bd43.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have that option on in the iPhone, but it makes no difference at all. Still no connection.

If you purchase a SIM you mean? I don't think the car's built in data connection uses a SIM in this slot - at least mine doesn't have one.

Reactions: france71
I have that option on in the iPhone, but it makes no difference at all. Still no connection.

If you purchase a SIM you mean? I don't think the car's built in data connection uses a SIM in this slot - at least mine doesn't have one.
Yes that's correct. The inbuilt car connection just gets you the Audi services but not access to other data services such as internet searches, music streaming etc.

I noticed this straight off when I set the inbuilt SIM to be a Wi-Fi point. My phone connected to the Wi-Fi (after adding the password etc) but the phone showed the symbol for a Wi-Fi connection with no data transfer. The phone then came up with a page to register the inbuilt car SIM and buy a data plan

So I set up a separate SIM and placed it in the car card slot. After going through the MMI options so set this card as a 2nd phone and provide data. This time the car Wi-Fi connection to the phone showed a Wi-Fi connection with data transfer arrows.

I have Amazon Prime with Music Unlimited.
I weighted up buying a SIM for the car vs playing it via Bluetooth. It’s just not worth the cost.

Other manufacturers (BMW as an example) allow streaming through the car. Pi$$ poor on Audi’s part I say.

Reactions: france71
I have Amazon Prime with Music Unlimited.
I weighted up buying a SIM for the car vs playing it via Bluetooth. It’s just not worth the cost.

Other manufacturers (BMW as an example) allow streaming through the car. Pi$$ poor on Audi’s part I say.
Only reason I wanted to do it was to get the MMI app on the dashboard so I could better choose the music I wanted.

At the moment I Bluetooth the music across but I have to use the phone music app to choose another album or genre - that was why I thought this would be good.

Well I'll have to wait until it becomes available. Why show it in the MMI application if the set up isn't yet available....

Only reason I wanted to do it was to get the MMI app on the dashboard so I could better choose the music I wanted.

At the moment I Bluetooth the music across but I have to use the phone music app to choose another album or genre - that was why I thought this would be good.

Well I'll have to wait until it becomes available. Why show it in the MMI application if the set up isn't yet available....

For the solution to this use android auto or apple equivalent. Yes you have to plug in the phone but you can use the mmi to navigate without touching the phone. Better quality than Bluetooth too

I tried the Android play and found it to be clunky looking- like something from 10 years ago. I also just want to use the inductive charging pad and not bother with connecting leads.

Thanks for the advice in any case.

Can you quantify that in terms of bit rate/depth etc? Not having a go, genuinely interested.

Honestly I can't, but I am aware that Bluetooth compresses the data somewhat whereas over the cable it is original quality. So I guess if you listen to high quality files, it may be noticeable. I think I can hear the difference but probably subjective

Just my 10p to say how I deal with the car and data etc.

I have a samsung s8 (Android), using Tasker the phone recognises that I am in the car through the bluetooth connection. It then turns on the wifi hotspot on my phone. The car connects to the hotspot for traffic, google earth etc. My wife's iphone connects to my s8 hotspot and my daughter's ipad does also. I can still use music streaming on my phone to the car, although not tried amazon's music service.

I've never understood the car's wifi hotspot, if the data only works for connect what is it sharing?

I was also going to feed into this being and iPhone user! Also found that I cannot use Amazon Music when connected to cars Wi-fi hotspot. Despite Wi-fi assist on phone it refuses to route via 4G for data, tried enabling and disabling Wi-fi data access with no change.

I did get Internet Radio to work by setting my IP on the iPhone wireless connection to static (so phone forced to use data connection), but The MMI refuses to see the MMI Connect app for Amazon music then... Will try and play a bit more.

I have 15GB of data on my phone and absolutely no plans to purchase a SIM to use in the car. Unfortunately with MY17 onwards I cannot tether the MMI to my phone so there is little else I can do!

Sure like others say I could use CarPlay, but I’d rather use a Fisher Price laptop, where the interface is so clunky!

That said, was surprised in 1 year, I have only pulled 1GB over the Audi SIM card! According to the MMI anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can this not be done with my18 cars that have SOS. I thought this enable wifi...

Veering off topic slightly but this may be useful to some people. I've been assessing Apple Car Play but it just doesn't seem to offer much, especially in terms of listening to music. I too use Amazon Music for my Sonos in the house but as far as playing music in my car, you can't beat the SD Card which can play Hi-Res FLAC files. I use an adaptor to insert a micro SD Card (max 128GB) into the slot in the glove box.

For those who don't know, you can rip your CD's to FLAC format using software such as 'Exact Audio Copy' or download Hi-Res music from sites like HD Tracks (other vendors are available). OK, you don't have access to your complete Amazon Music library but the quality trumps MP3's played via Bluetooth or other means. I side-load the FLACs on my PC directly onto the card using a card reader.

You can 'tag' your FLAC folders on the SD card using something like 'MP3 Tag'. E.g. you can make your own playlists by dropping desired tracks into a separate folder, then use MP3 tag to 'name' your playlist in the album field (retaining artist name and track name as is). I use my name as the lead, for example, "KEITH'S Rock Playlist", "KEITH'S AOR Playlist", etc. As such, I can scroll down to the "K's" on the SD Card album list to find all of my bespoke playlists in the car .

The DVD player is also great for 5.1 surround sound music/concert DVD's. Even though you won't see the picture (unless you're stuck in a jam or at the lights!), the audio continues to play whilst you are driving. Finally, I also use my Hi-Res portable music player through the Aux-In cable to play FLACs. That seems to sound even better than playing straight from the SD card, probably because of the high quality audio reproduction components that are used in the player (mine is a PONO but there are others on the market).

Again, apologies for going slightly off topic and also to those who already know all of this but I thought it may be helpful to some folks who are getting frustrated with the music element of Car Play.

Reactions: NoParticularPlaceToGo, Kakatk, cuke2u and 1 other person
Not really off topic and some useful info thank you, no reason why you couldn't have made this a separate thread either...

Reactions: KeithJLambert
Veering off topic slightly but this may be useful to some people. I've been assessing Apple Car Play but it just doesn't seem to offer much, especially in terms of listening to music. I too use Amazon Music for my Sonos in the house but as far as playing music in my car, you can't beat the SD Card which can play Hi-Res FLAC files. I use an adaptor to insert a micro SD Card (max 128GB) into the slot in the glove box.

For those who don't know, you can rip your CD's to FLAC format using software such as 'Exact Audio Copy' or download Hi-Res music from sites like HD Tracks (other vendors are available). OK, you don't have access to your complete Amazon Music library but the quality trumps MP3's played via Bluetooth or other means. I side-load the FLACs on my PC directly onto the card using a card reader.

You can 'tag' your FLAC folders on the SD card using something like 'MP3 Tag'. E.g. you can make your own playlists by dropping desired tracks into a separate folder, then use MP3 tag to 'name' your playlist in the album field (retaining artist name and track name as is). I use my name as the lead, for example, "KEITH'S Rock Playlist", "KEITH'S AOR Playlist", etc. As such, I can scroll down to the "K's" on the SD Card album list to find all of my bespoke playlists in the car .

The DVD player is also great for 5.1 surround sound music/concert DVD's. Even though you won't see the picture (unless you're stuck in a jam or at the lights!), the audio continues to play whilst you are driving. Finally, I also use my Hi-Res portable music player through the Aux-In cable to play FLACs. That seems to sound even better than playing straight from the SD card, probably because of the high quality audio reproduction components that are used in the player (mine is a PONO but there are others on the market).

Again, apologies for going slightly off topic and also to those who already know all of this but I thought it may be helpful to some folks who are getting frustrated with the music element of Car Play.
Might be lightly off topic but we all appreciate good hints and tips- thanks.

I like choosing a mix of music so I use music streaming services to give me a real mix. I was always hopeless at getting organised with putting music on memory cards etc but appreciate one can get a better sound. Especially on my B&O in car sound system.

Reactions: NoParticularPlaceToGo and KeithJLambert
Hi,
I’ve a 2017 A4 and I’ve managed to get this working, of sorts, without an eSim full data subscription (expensive).
I agree with previous posts, CarpPlay & Android Auto are unstable in my car as the former disconnects when the parking display appears and won’t restart. Also, plugging in a cable inconvenient for short journeys.
Bluetooth audio is ok as it browses the phones music over iOS but Apple Music is needed for this and I’d prefer to use Amazon Music as the experience is richer and part of Amazon Prime.
If the app is started in my iPhone and I’ve logged in with my prime credentials on the App, I’m able to access music without the full subscription.
I’ve also read somewhere that if music is stored locally in the phone, then the data connection is not need, which is a good solution for users with both android and iOS phones.

It's still quite a shoddy setup for a quality manufacturer. Others do it far better, the implementation here is poor and is one of the things I consider when car shopping.

just to bump up this thread just wondering if there are any other work arounds.

what i have gathered from the thread is that unless you put a data sim in the car you cant get this to work?

is it not possible to use your phone as the hot spot for the car - I have 15GB data allowance on my phone and ideally i would like to use that.

just to bump up this thread just wondering if there are any other work arounds.

what i have gathered from the thread is that unless you put a data sim in the car you cant get this to work?

is it not possible to use your phone as the hot spot for the car - I have 15GB data allowance on my phone and ideally i would like to use that.
What type of phone do you have? I think you would need a phone with RSAP Bluetooth profile.