Facelift Tyres on Facelift MY18

SamR92

Reaction score
Anyone know what tyres still are coming out the factory on A3 Sportbacks (S-line)

Is it still Conti Sport 5's?

My saloon came on P-Zeros and virtually all cars in the showroom were also on these so I reckon these are the current best bet.

No guarantees though - it could come on Contis or even Dunlops.

My saloon came on P-Zeros and virtually all cars in the showroom were also on these so I reckon these are the current best bet.

No guarantees though - it could come on Contis or even Dunlops.

How flush do the P-Zeros sit with the tyre? my current car with Conti's has had a few close calls with kerbs and potholes, but no damage done as the tyre sticks out just a little bit further than the alloy which gives a bit of protection

The rim protector on the P-Zeros is insane and sits very proud of the rim indeed!

Reactions: Audi Bairn and SamR92
Seems the Pirelli designation for tyres with a rim protector is MFS, which is what I presume these are.

I'll take a pic sometime but it's dark right now and the car will be buried under snow in the morning :)

Found a pic from collection day

S3_4.jpg

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Yeah the rim protection on the P Zero is excellent.
Not my preferred choice but they'll do for now.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Wow that is a fair amount of protection for the rim! As long as the alloys get some protection, I’ll be happy. Shall find out in March I guess

I love the rim protection but hate the tyres tbh. Dont rate them good in the dry thats it but for mileage i do and expense of changing a few year with them yet

Had P-Zeros before, they're not as bad as everyone says but not the best either.

Not bad enough to replace but, when they do wear out, I'll be forking out for a set of PS4Ss.

Reactions: DylanW and Audi Bairn
Yep my MY2018 has Bridgestone Turanza's. So far I'm pretty impressed.

Reactions: Jassyo06
i'm trying to find some quiet types for my pfl S3. It's still on orginal Conti Sport 5's and the tyre roar does my head in. Thinking about Dunlop SP Sport Maxx which seem to get good reviews in the noise steaks.

its a lottery mate.....P zeros are mightily noisey on my saloon...look **** hot....but

Reactions: pburv and Audi Bairn
i'm trying to find some quiet types for my pfl S3. It's still on orginal Conti Sport 5's and the tyre roar does my head in. Thinking about Dunlop SP Sport Maxx which seem to get good reviews in the noise steaks.

FWIW, my old 1.4COD saloon was on Dunlops and, if anything, the S3 is fractionally quieter, although that's in comfort mode on mag ride so don't know how that compares to the standard sport setup on the old car. Regardless, the P-Zeros don't strike me as any noisier than the Dunlops were.

I picked up a new Black Edition A3 yesterday and it came with Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2's zero complaints so far and the rim protection is decent too.

Hope the pics help..

Mine came with Bridgestone Turanza Evo 001 to my great disappointment.

Got rid of them last week as I changed to my winter Pirelli Sotozero 3's but in April when I change back to summer tires I will buy again Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. My size is the OEM 225/40/18 and the car was delivered Nov 20th and was produced Week 41.

The test drive S3 I drove in August was on P-Zero's but it was also sitting on 19's . I get a feeling the tire you get on a new car is COMPLETELY random. My previous S3 8P was delivered with Pilot Sport 2 , this one on Bridgestones , etc, etc.

What is really frustrating is that the 8p S3 I traded into Audi was running on 6 month old Michelin Pilot Sport 4's , so I will end up buying the same tire again in 1 years time.

Bummer!

I picked up a new Black Edition A3 yesterday and it came with Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2's zero complaints so far and the rim protection is decent too.

Hope the pics help..

Glad to see the AO version has some rim protection. The normal version is a very narrow tyre and got zero rim protection.

Mine came with Bridgestone Turanza Evo 001 to my great disappointment.

Got rid of them last week as I changed to my winter Pirelli Sotozero 3's but in April when I change back to summer tires I will buy again Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. My size is the OEM 225/40/18 and the car was delivered Nov 20th and was produced Week 41.

The test drive S3 I drove in August was on P-Zero's but it was also sitting on 19's . I get a feeling the tire you get on a new car is COMPLETELY random. My previous S3 8P was delivered with Pilot Sport 2 , this one on Bridgestones , etc, etc.

What is really frustrating is that the 8p S3 I traded into Audi was running on 6 month old Michelin Pilot Sport 4's , so I will end up buying the same tire again in 1 years time.

Bummer!

Mine also came with those Bridgestones but I didn't mind since I was going to use the 18's for winters anyways. Think I'll go P Zeros or F1 Asymmetric 3 235/35/19 for summer.

I'd have taken them off and stuck a set of LingLong Ditchfinders on before handing it over :)

FWIW, my old 1.4COD saloon was on Dunlops and, if anything, the S3 is fractionally quieter, although that's in comfort mode on mag ride so don't know how that compares to the standard sport setup on the old car. Regardless, the P-Zeros don't strike me as any noisier than the Dunlops were.

Interesting. There seems to be zero consensus about the perfect low cabin noise rubber!

Bear in mind these are the new PZ4 Pirellis so could well have different noise characteristics to the older types.