Incoming A4 Avant S-Line 1.4

BTW... Did you sort your MTB bracket for the boot?

There is only so much I can do before I get the car - tbh it looks like I am just going to use wood and drill a 15mm hole in a block of 18th century oak screwed to a circular board from a Louis Phillipe acajou commode that would fit in the spare wheel but I need to have the car before progressing the engineering further...(yes I have too much spare time on my hands...)

Delivery check list ?

What should I check that the dealer may have forgotten ? Mats, sd card for the nav, what else ?

Reactions: Theonenonly
Back in my A3 8P days on here I seem to remember there was a collection checklist somewhere but in the event you can’t find it...

That everything works - obvious and obviously if anything doesn’t it’ll be covered under warranty but if you don’t live near the dealer it can be a ball ache taking it back.

Any paid for options are definitely on the car.

Full bodywork/wheels/interior check for damage.

Log book/V5/paperwork etc.

Cable for connecting phone, if indeed they still do provide these.

Delivery check list ?

What should I check that the dealer may have forgotten ? Mats, sd card for the nav, what else ?
Hopefully they wont have forgotten anything, there is an Audi checklist that the salesman or handover person should go over with you, quite often these are completed in advance so my advice is get him or her to go back over it with you before you sign it - don't take their word for it. In my delivery driver days I did once have an A3 saloon to deliver to a customer where the mechanic doing the pdi had forgotten to remove the transit blocks from the suspension, car had been through the prep centre, been driven to get fuelled etc and no one had noticed. Soon as I drove it off the forecourt I knew it wasn't right, it was awful to drive. Needless to say delivery to the customer was delayed somewhat.

Reactions: DohNut
Delivery check list ?

I did a full walk around inspection and an hour handover to check the cars functions etc, noticed “issues” like my car had its rear badges for one! Went over the PDI check list with them too to make sure.

After this it took 3 of em to get my app set up as it just wasn’t working at all lol.

Was in there for about 2 hours in the end, now waiting for my free rubber boot liner to arrive in the post and a phone call to book in to remove my badges.

The only paper work I was given was a copy of my order form/finance agreement my DVLA acknowledgment (v5 will come in the post) and the PDI checklist.

Everything else is built into the car

Reactions: Nickfrog
Thanks guys.

a phone call to book in to remove my badges.

Are you positive you trust them to do this without swirling the paint (at best) - it really is a 1 minute job even if you've never done it...

I wish my insurance was as cheap as some of these quotes above. I'm seeing my cheapest policies around £720 for the 1.4 TFSI auto. I've only had a UK licence for 4 yrs, 3yrs NCB (1.5yrs driving company car so sadly missing a full year of NCB) and being in my late 20's probably not helping.

Need to get on the phones and see if a deal can be done - my current policy jumped £200 on renewal before I called them up and got £250 off the new price. The whole insurance process seems to be getting worse year on year!

I wish my insurance was as cheap as some of these quotes above.

I wish I was still in my twenties, still had my lean body and women were still interested in me...

Paying low premiums is a meagre consolation...

Reactions: Desmond Hanson, Skatman, BKing and 3 others
Thanks guys.

Are you positive you trust them to do this without swirling the paint (at best) - it really is a 1 minute job even if you've never done it...

The car is a mess at the moment anyway, I plan on getting it detailed at some point so I don’t mind

I wish I was still in my twenties, still had my lean body and women were still interested in me...

Paying low premiums is a meagre consolation...

Bet he’s still got a full head of hair too! I saw a hair dryer recently... those were the days!

Reactions: Nickfrog and Theonenonly

I'm sure your Avant will bring in the ladies - think the Avant looks absolutely awesome, was very tempted but coming from a hatchback I was adamant I wanted an impractical boot - showing off how 'grown-up' I am driving a saloon!

Bet he’s still got a full head of hair too! I saw a hair dryer recently... those were the days!

Do you think a photo of my, sadly, receding hairline will get me some ££ off the insurance! One can dream...

Reactions: Theonenonly and DohNut
I’ve still got hair but it’s slowly receding day by day haha
I wish my insurance was as cheap as some of these quotes above. I'm seeing my cheapest policies around £720 for the 1.4 TFSI auto. I've only had a UK licence for 4 yrs, 3yrs NCB (1.5yrs driving company car so sadly missing a full year of NCB) and being in my late 20's probably not helping.

Need to get on the phones and see if a deal can be done - my current policy jumped £200 on renewal before I called them up and got £250 off the new price. The whole insurance process seems to be getting worse year on year!

I tend to find the “posher” the car the cheaper the insurance, I just don’t get it in all honesty, a 30k car insured for under £300 compared to a 4k car insured for over£750!! It’s madness.

I think the risk profile is very low because recent cars have advanced safety features like auto braking and pedestrian detection etc. Plus if you have a nice car you are probably more likely to look after it on the road. There is also the perception that rightly or wrongly you are less likely to be an angry yobbo.

One more sleep!

Reactions: Theonenonly and Nickfrog
I tend to find the “posher” the car the cheaper the insurance, I just don’t get it in all honesty, a 30k car insured for under £300 compared to a 4k car insured for over£750!! It’s madness.
My A4 is cheaper to insure than my partners new 1.0 fiesta and we're both of similar ages...

Funnily enough, the renewal for the A-Class has just dropped in my inbox. £820 vs £430 last year!! No idea what's going on!

Great car. Will post pics later.

Not a clue how this MMI thing works. It wouldn't even find my S7.

Impossible to find where I am supposed to input the myaudi app pin.

Very user unfriendly IMO, not intuitive but I'm 48 so that may explain

Great car. Will post pics later.

Not a clue how this MMI thing works. It wouldn't even find my S7.

Impossible to find where I am supposed to input the myaudi app pin.

Very user unfriendly IMO, not intuitive but I'm 48 so that may explain
Make sure your phone is visible to bt. I have never had any issues connecting samsung phone's to my cars..

Cheers C2u. I will have a play over lunch.

I got 43.5mpg on my way to work, 25 miles. I was trying tbf without lugging the engine.

The tyres have little grip but that's expected they need scrubbing. Pleased to get Bridgestone S001 and not Handjobs as I am a tyre snob!

Congrats on the new car!

Very interested in the mpg you get. Keep us posted!

'I got 43.5mpg on my way to work, 25 miles. I was trying tbf without lugging the engine.' - do you mean you were trying to get good mpg or trying to press on??

Enjoy!

I was trying to be very economical while not labouring the new engine.

It will probably settle at 40mpg with less restraint but a few more miles. If that's the case then I'd very happy.

**** me - this myaudi App stuff is infuriating, all sorts of different codes and user names and ****. WTF! LOL. I don't need any of this but if I have them I want them to work.

I don't blame the lack of handover as it's a silly cheap lease. I'll call my local dealer to see if one of the youngsters wants to old an oap in distress.

I can't believe it can be so user unfriendly.

You'll get used to it all. Along with i-Drive MMI is the considered one of the best interfaces.

Apps though... I'm not leaving the dealership until it's all working!

Oh yes the interface is superb. It's the setting up phase that is hard work.

If you cant get the MMI to find your phone do a reset on the MMI, when I picked by car up it wouldn't connect to my S7 and the online sim wouldn't work, a quick reset got it all running

Find it odd how the same model of car from the same factory can come with tyres from different manufacturers. You'd think they would do a deal with brand x and that would be that.

Sorry guys no pics yet as we're having office decorated and no pc.

I am getting somewhere with phone and myaudi app, I think.

Manufacturers can't risk supply issues so they have contracts with different tyre manufacturers on the same size. There comes a point where volume doesn't generate any more economies of scale anyway as tyre manufacturers have the same supply issues in reverse as they have different routes to market. Happy with the S001 although it's quite an old design. Michelin would have been nice

Manufacturers can't risk supply issues so they have contracts with different tyre manufacturers on the same size. There comes a point where volume doesn't generate any more economies of scale anyway as tyre manufacturers have the same supply issues in reverse as they have different routes to market. Happy with the S001 although it's quite an old design. Michelin would have been nice

Makes sense. Shame they don't do the same for wheels. Have read on here BE orders were delayed due to short supply of the rotors.

How does it drive ?

Very smooth, decent ride, superb NVH. I would probably have preferred the 17 wheels as it would have suited the very relaxing nature of the car and improved the ride a bit.

The engine and the box are obviously still very tight so they need a few miles.

Loads of grip now that the tyres are scrubbed in.

Main downside is the steering. I don't want to fall into Audi stereotypes but is it some kind of automotive self harming by Audi ? It's far too light in dynamic and the rack is too slow, it's more boat like than car like. The combination of the two is pretty poor.

Ok I will calibrate my inputs but coming from a Megane RS, it's nothing short of shocking.

Tbf, it's not the end of the world for the intended use. What I fail to understand is the thought process from the engineers.

Apart from that, the car is a functional masterpiece.

Hi, did you spec the optional comfort dynamic suspension or stick with the standard sports suspension on your S-line?

Just wondering if this would have helped with the standard 18’s...?

Just a quick one on insurance, did any of you get cashback from Quidco (or similar) on new policies for AVIVA? I got £60 cashback a few years ago. Just took a few months to come through but another saving!

Ok I will calibrate my inputs but coming from a Megane RS, it's nothing short of shocking.

Not defending Audi here and agree they could do much better but surely most cars a going to have little steering feel compared to ant Renault Sport product.

Suspect the trade off is refinement and superb NVH as you mention.

Thing is though they can do it, as the B7 RS4 demonstrated.

How does it drive ?

Very smooth, decent ride, superb NVH. I would probably have preferred the 17 wheels as it would have suited the very relaxing nature of the car and improved the ride a bit.

Main downside is the steering. I don't want to fall into Audi stereotypes but is it some kind of automotive self harming by Audi ? It's far too light in dynamic and the rack is too slow, it's more boat like than car like. The combination of the two is pretty poor.

Tbf, it's not the end of the world for the intended use. What I fail to understand is the thought process from the engineers.

I think if it’s on comfort suspension it is a bit soft and slow, sport suspension helps a lot. I’d say with sport it’s steering is only really beaten by the xe, maybe a 3 series depending on personal preference. Its much better than most in its class and significantly better than the b8.

Reactions: DohNut
QUOTE="DohNut, post: 3212166, member: 129650"]Not defending Audi here and agree they could do much better but surely most cars a going to have little steering feel compared to ant Renault Sport product.

Suspect the trade off is refinement and superb NVH as you mention.

Thing is though they can do it, as the B7 RS4 demonstrated.[/QUOTE]
Our fiesta is more fun to drive than my a4 and the steering and pedal feedback put most cars to shame. But then the a4 wafts along with no drama and no fuss. Horses for courses and aimed at a different class of owner..

Last edited:
How does it drive ?

Do you have the sports suspension? Mine is great to drive I feel, I have it in comfort mostly but when I want a sportier feel I whack it in dynamic and have a bit of fun going round corners at daft speeds.

It’s quick for a 1.4, think I’ll pay a little extra and get the 2.0 Tfsi next time though

Do you have the sports suspension? Mine is great to drive I feel, I have it in comfort mostly but when I want a sportier feel I whack it in dynamic and have a bit of fun going round corners at daft speeds.

It’s quick for a 1.4, think I’ll pay a little extra and get the 2.0 Tfsi next time though

That’s all good to hear. Still gutted I couldn’t get the 252 quattro in budget but hopefully I’ll forget about that when I’m finally in mine.

Fair comments and I must manage my expectations vs the Megane. I totally agree the design brief is somewhat different. I still think a 20% quicker rack would have helped without creating a gokart.

I have the std S-line sport suspension and actually it's pretty well judged ride wise on reflection. It will get a bit more compliant as the springs settle and the dampers bed in anyway. Its also possible that the S001 have firm sidewalls compared to other tyres.

Reactions: Jsmills