Dim tail lights on Avant

MarkW73

Reaction score
Somewhere in deepest darkest Hertfordshire...
Hi the tail light on the passenger side is varying between dim and off. The drivers side is ok.
Both the brake and the indicators are okay on both sides.
I've tried cleaning up the contacts on the lamp cluster with no improvement?
Voltage is varying between 0 and 8 volts.

Is the passenger side looped off the drivers side? If not where are they fed from?

Any ideas?

Cheers, Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

they do get a bit of corrosion on them, i managed to clean mine up and they've been spot on since, were yours quite bad as i have heard of people having to buy another unit due to not catching them in time

mine where quite bad to clean it was kinda baked on ended up having to scrape and sand them off back to shiny metal then i put a bit of contact grease stuff on them

I had same recently, passenger side was barely even lit. For me it was the earth pin (brown wire) that had become corroded. Cleaned up the pin on the light cluster with a flat head and contact cleaner. All fine now

Reactions: tony mc
Hi Benny, it looks like it is the earth wire going into the plug on mine. All of the contacts are clean and tested with a meter. If i wiggle the earth wire the light level improves. Unfortunately i couldn't work out how to open up the plug??

Cheers

I didn't need to open the plug on mine, it was just the pin on the light cluster. But to get the pin out of the plug you will need a terminal release tool anyway. Where abouts are you? I have a set here and dont mind helping out if your close!