700 miles in. 1st impressions

Aspen

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
My nano grey S3 is now a week old and I’ve put 700 miles on her. So what are my thoughts?

Bad bits:
Wastegate rattle. God that’s annoying once you hear it, you can’t Un hear it. :-(

And the cabin squeaks. Wow, ok the pan roof I can live with, they all do that but, the headlight control panel area of the dash sounds like it’s door rattling half closed on the motorway!! I can’t take it any more

Good bits:
I’m still bedding the engine in. Properly, as per the audingudence and some other engine experts. So I’ve not been able too give it beans but, my god it’s an improvement over the original 300 unit!!

Bang & olufsen... unbelievable sound, once you tweak it to your liking. Could do with independent mid range control but whatever it is still incredible!

Apple CarPlay and the new virtual cockpit are great.

And, the ride is so good now with 19” wheels and magnetic ride. So much better than Audi’s of old (read 2 years ago)

Great Car, great new Nano grey colour too especially against the black edition.

Anyway that’s me. Loving it

Reactions: TDI-line, Djs3saloon, richinsoton and 3 others
Hey Dude,

I have done about the same millage as you and I am loving my S3 so far however I have also noticed some rattles, I have the 3 Door Hatch and I'm not 100% but sounds to me like its coming more from the Door/Window area. Wondering if anyone else has had similar?

I use to have a Juke Nismo RS and had so many issues with rattling from the dashboard, took it back numerous times and Nissan agreed that there was excessive rattling, they took the dash off a few times and put extra insulation inside but it kept coming back, I just gave up in the end... I hope this isn't something that's going to get worse on the Audi.

Either way there is lots I love about the car... have to agree the B&O is class. :relieved:

I had an annoying rattle from the pop up screen area, but not what you guys are experiencing.
It seemed to go away temporarily when I applied slight pressure to the top of the screen.
But now it's gone completely. However this might simply be down to the change in temperature, who know.

Reactions: haughtss3
If I apply pressure to the headlight switch panel, which is fitted into the lower part of the dash. The noise goes away for a few seconds. But soon returns.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Only annoying noise in my PFL comes from the passenger seat if I give it some beans

No rattles or squeaks on mine . 12 k in and nearly two years and just love the environment. Ticks all the boxes as I am not looking at the S3 as a sports car .
Only down side is the dealerships.

I get better treatment from be with a base UP ( I know silly name for a car )

Reactions: Rideen
Reactions: glospete, SamP97, David McQueen and 2 others
Ah but when she is not in the car the fun really starts

Reactions: Tom.H
Ah but when she is not in the car the fun really starts
I've just come back from a holiday in Germany and fortunately my wife kept quiet even when I was doing 130/140mph on the autobahn. I'm sure she would rather not go quite as fast so I tend to only do that speed for reasonably short bursts. Normally I stay around 110/120mph for longer periods. When I'm not on the autobahn, which is most of the time, I stick to around 40/60mph in the countryside. With the quiet, well surfaced and marked country roads this really enjoyable driving through lovely countryside.

Reactions: David McQueen, musicegbdf and Tom.H
Green with envy ! What is like at that speed ? Does feel planted ?
Maybe she was terrified haha . Won't ask the fuel consumption, but bet it was worth .

I've just come back from a holiday in Germany and fortunately my wife kept quiet even when I was doing 130/140mph on the autobahn. I'm sure she would rather not go quite as fast so I tend to only do that speed for reasonably short bursts. Normally I stay around 110/120mph for longer periods. When I'm not on the autobahn, which is most of the time, I stick to around 40/60mph in the countryside. With the quiet, well surfaced and marked country roads this really enjoyable driving through lovely countryside.

That's exactly the reason once we'd had a drive in the RS6 Performance and finished the nice picnic hamper we were given, I dropped the wife and little one back at the hotel and went out again on my own to see what it could do (touching close to 170mph I found out)

She has been a fair speed in mine but ever since getting t-boned she's lost a lot of confidence (although she's the only person who scares me when I'm a passenger and I've been round the Nurburgring with a complete stranger)

@Aspen glad to hear you're loving the car so far, the pops and farts are awesome I think, they almost make up for the lack of 2 cylinders that I was used to.

Green with envy ! What is like at that speed ? Does feel planted ?
Maybe she was terrified haha . Won't ask the fuel consumption, but bet it was worth .
Remember I was driving a 2.0TDI-184 so the overall fuel consumption for the whole 10 days, including getting there and back and the fast driving worked to be 45/46 mpg.
The car is a Sport but has normal suspension running on 17" wheels rather than sport suspension and it felt fine on the Autobahn as well as being very comfortable. Diesel is also cheaper to buy in Germany than petrol.

That is impressive H5djr !
I had the 170 8p before the S3 and really liked the engine , it was the Dpf that put me off as we do mainly short journeys .
Still green . Would love to take an S3 ( not mine ) on a track .

Every day I just love this car a little bit more.

I’ve had the 2007 S5, 2009 S3, 2011 rs4 and even an M3 (ahem sorry) and I never thought I’d love a car like my red S3 again. But this is so much better.

I do love a turbo whollop!! It’s adictvie. So next thing is an oil change at 1200 miles. I’m doing it myself as I have a new oil salvage pump so I don’t even need to drain it! And I’m not bothered about the stamp in the book as it’s not required, but I’m a believer in a break in oil change. I bet it comes out like cutting paste!

I had plenty of rattles in mine, at 11,000 miles and all of a sudden I remembered a month or so ago... ‘hang on, where have my rattles gone?’

They all disappeared along the way.

Glanced at thread title briefly. Thought it was about driving 700 miles in 1st gear.

Reactions: glospete and Djs3saloon
I had plenty of rattles in mine, at 11,000 miles and all of a sudden I remembered a month or so ago... ‘hang on, where have my rattles gone?’

They all disappeared along the way.
You sure all those bits rattling didn't eventually give up and fall off

Reactions: Tom.H and Djs3saloon
I had an annoying rattle from the pop up screen area, but not what you guys are experiencing.
It seemed to go away temporarily when I applied slight pressure to the top of the screen.
But now it's gone completely. However this might simply be down to the change in temperature, who know.
Currently have this same issue in my A3, although mine hasn’t gone away like yours did.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
This is the first thing I noticed in the 2017 loan car I have - rattles over rough surfaces from various places in the cabin. It seemed to be coming from around the steering column area, and plastic surrounds by the speedo