2006 Audi A4 Avant smoking...

Ibbylk1

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 2006 Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDI SE 170, with 116,000 miles. However, unfortunately the car has an issue!

When cold, it starts fine, but then the car will start to shudder and smoke. The smoke is a fair bit and is like a white/grey colour. The car will drive fine. The shuddering slowly decreases, then once it is fully warmed up, it stops. there are no warning lights on the dash.

I called the AA, who plugged into their diagnostic machines, no error codes, but the AA guy seem convinced it was the EGR valve. He then put a blank in it, which caused it to stop smoking. I didn't see any error codes either.

I then took it to my mechanic and asked to him to clean the EGR valve out, and remove the blank. He did that, and then I had the car carbon cleaned. It drives very well, lots of power but it still shudders and smokes from cold. However, I checked the service history and the EGR valve was replaced in July!

What could cause this? Any ideas? Its a real shame as I really like the car!

Although I just drove it now and no smoke but shudder was still there, although not as bad as before

update: It has stopped smoking, but still shudders a bit at start up. It also feels slow starting up. Once its warm, the shuddering goes, but its running lumpy. I did put good quality fuel in, and some DPF cleaner and Millers Diesel additive and took it for a run. It does sound a lot better noe though. I will probably give it another run today as well.

Update: for anyone that is interested;

I took it to a local mechanics, who said injector seals were leaking. Still the same. Then they said one of the injectors needed re-placing. This was done, but still the same.
I called the AA again, who said it was an EGR issue. He fitted a blanking plate, and it runs fine, still a little lumpy, but its fine. It has an engine management light on but it drives fine. I don't really want to spend more on it! Any ideas?

Sounds to me like it could be the EGR cooler is leaking into the exhaust manifold which is a common issue, the white smoke could be the steam from the water in the exhaust evaporating.
You will be able to tell as your coolant level will drop, if its not dropping then it wont be this