Facelift Wind Noise?

Mark_86

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just wondered if anyone has a lot of wind noise when driving on the motorway from around the drivers window? Just seems like I can hear it more than I probably should, I could be being paranoid and B&O quickly cancels it out. Just curious really.

Reactions: S1Pete
Hi all.

Just wondered if anyone has a lot of wind noise when driving on the motorway from around the drivers window? Just seems like I can hear it more than I probably should, I could be being paranoid and B&O quickly cancels it out. Just curious really.
Yep,same here,little annoying i must say !

Reactions: Mark_86
Yep,same here,little annoying i must say !

Humm... I would've expected a little more refinement. Perhaps I'll get Audi to check the window seals when it's inf or a service next month.

Yes - mine seemed a bit noisy there when I first got the car. Got use to it now. In fact I would say pretyy much every car is a bit noisy in that area. I think it's probably more the aerodynamics than a leak.

Mine are quite noisy compared to my friends 3 series. It was terrible in my TT before but guess that's down to pillar less doors.

I booked mine in for excessive wind noise, they agreed that there was wind noise but they compared another S3 and it was exactly the same. My scirocco had the same issue but VW managed to solve it for me and that was piller less. It’s the one thing that will put me off getting another s3, does anyone know if s4’s and above still have this issue?

Yup.
Don't get wind deflectors either, makes it so much worse.

But they look soo good.

I'm pretty sure it's down to the wing mirrors. As they are a legal requirement there's not much can be done. I don't think the A3 is any worse than most other cars though.

Funny how different people perceive wind noise. I think the car is pretty quiet even at highway speeds, but I also come from a F20 BMW which sounded like a hurricane above 50mph (which also was because of the wing mirrors).

I don't think it's too bad. What I can say is it's infinitely times quieter than my girlfriend's Mazda 2...

I'm pretty sure it's down to the wing mirrors. As they are a legal requirement there's not much can be done. I don't think the A3 is any worse than most other cars though.

Yes, the side rear-view mirrors are the number 1 source to turbulent air on the side of vehicles. This results in a lot of wind noise for the front driver and passenger. As one can imagine, this can be hard to explain to most customers as it usually sounds like it is air entering the cabin vs sounds waves being amplified against the door glass. Rule of thumb is the larger the mirror housing + higher speeds = most noise.

Concept cars have featured side cameras to replace these large housings but safety regs have not yet caught up to this tech yet. Cheers!

Reactions: Mark_86 and TYb
My preface suffers this around the drivers window. Whilst I agree with the mirror contributing to the noise, mine is quiet on the passenger side.

I would have thought the noise would be equal on both sides if the mirrors are the cause?

My preface suffers this around the drivers window. Whilst I agree with the mirror contributing to the noise, mine is quiet on the passenger side.

I would have thought the noise would be equal on both sides if the mirrors are the cause?

Correct, they would be equal. More diagnosis will have to be done by yourself or the dealer in that case.

If you have the free time, there is a simple step that can potential help locate the source of the noise. While on the motorway, ever so slightly crack the passenger front window. Then take the backside of your hand and carefully move it around the closed edges of the driver's side window. If you feel any inrush of air, most likely this will be the source of your noise. The pressure change on the passenger side will draw in more air on the driver side to potentially locate the noise.

Of course many factors lead to NVH issues on current autos. This is just one way to help narrow down the source to the noise. When in doubt, the dealer is the best solution as they will have additional tooling to help locate the fault.

Cheers

Reactions: Kenny_GTI
I’ll try that next time we’re on a run, It does seem to be around the B pillar area.