Facelift Help with Audi Connect?

Ehicks

Reaction score
Hi all

Collected my new sport back today which I have to say is totally stunning, and over the moon with it, just struggling a bit with the Audi connect and wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction. I searched and found some old threads but can't see anything that looks like the latest versions.

I have an iPhone7, no additional sim in the car and the phone connected via Bluetooth. Can't seem to see anyway to get the car to use the phones data to run the Audi connect part and as such can't use google maps etc, when I go to the connection manager it shows the phone as connected but Audi connect as not connected.

I have found a section where I can put the pin in I have from my Audi.com but that says service not available (as I suspect it can't connect)

Can anybody help at all?

iPhones are incapable of sharing their data connection over Bluetooth.

You need to add a sim for full internet services in the car.

FL models I'm pretty sure do have limited internet via a built in SIM but not sure if it includes google maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ehicks
That's really helpful thanks, i will get a duplicate sim then I guess, its weird though as both the manual and the MMI Connect App intimate you should be able to do this via a wifi hotspot as well but I don't seem to be having any luck even finding where to get the car to do a network scan.

The cars wifi hotspot feature is the other way around, the car is the hotspot (when you have a sim in it). So then your phone etc can connect to it for better internet as the car's external GSM antenna give it better reception than the tiny one in your phone (handy if you have wifi calling on your phone, I got a blow out in a low coverage area and actually could only make a wifi call via the car's hotspot as my phone had no direct GSM signal!). Plus passengers can surf the web via it of course.

Thanks again I was clearly misreading it, I understood the hotspot functionality car to phone but also thought it could be used for tethering data in reverse for the Audi connect.

I assume just duplicating my sim with my network provider is my best bet?

If they will let you. None of the UK networks allow a full replication as far as I know. I had a 'sharer sim' from EE. Has its only number (not that you'd use it) but used my data share from my main contract, £10 a month.

Hi all

Collected my new sport back today which I have to say is totally stunning, and over the moon with it, just struggling a bit with the Audi connect and wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction. I searched and found some old threads but can't see anything that looks like the latest versions.

I have an iPhone7, no additional sim in the car and the phone connected via Bluetooth. Can't seem to see anyway to get the car to use the phones data to run the Audi connect part and as such can't use google maps etc, when I go to the connection manager it shows the phone as connected but Audi connect as not connected.

I have found a section where I can put the pin in I have from my Audi.com but that says service not available (as I suspect it can't connect)

Can anybody help at all?

I had this issue last week, you don't need to use your phone it uses the SIM embedded in the car "Audi Connect Infotainment Services (36-month subscription) – the link between your Audi and the internet, giving you access to entertainment, information and search functions operated via the MMI control panel, the multi-functional steering wheel or the voice control system. With high-speed internet access in your car via an embedded SIM within your vehicle, you can call up information such as flight times, fuel prices, weather and other online services provided by third parties (e.g. Twitter), as well as Points of Interest and high-resolution aerial and satellite pictures from Google Earth™" from the RS3 brochure.

To get it working I followed the below (the below steps are from an S5 so menus may be slightly different):

Menu
2) Select Audi Connect
3) Right submenu (knob to right or right button for submenu)
4) Select data protection
5) Select "Activate data protection" - this switches off the data module
6) Data module is switched off
7) Wait briefly till the menu option "Activate data connection" appears again in white
8) Activate data connection
10) Wait for bus silence (ignition off, lock vehicle, wait 20 minutes)

I had this issue last week, you don't need to use your phone it uses the SIM embedded in the car "Audi Connect Infotainment Services (36-month subscription) – the link between your Audi and the internet, giving you access to entertainment, information and search functions operated via the MMI control panel, the multi-functional steering wheel or the voice control system. With high-speed internet access in your car via an embedded SIM within your vehicle, you can call up information such as flight times, fuel prices, weather and other online services provided by third parties (e.g. Twitter), as well as Points of Interest and high-resolution aerial and satellite pictures from Google Earth™" from the RS3 brochure.

To get it working I followed the below (the below steps are from an S5 so menus may be slightly different):

Menu
2) Select Audi Connect
3) Right submenu (knob to right or right button for submenu)
4) Select data protection
5) Select "Activate data protection" - this switches off the data module
6) Data module is switched off
7) Wait briefly till the menu option "Activate data connection" appears again in white
8) Activate data connection
10) Wait for bus silence (ignition off, lock vehicle, wait 20 minutes)

Many thanks for the detailed reply, as it happens I got it working yesterday whilst sat in traffic but it was actually more fluke rather than skill, I did turn the data module off and back on, but this did not fix it. What actually did was connecting my phone to the car hotspot, when I opened chrome on my iPhone I was redirected to a webpage saying the sim was unregistered, filled out the page, registered the sim to me and it all started working!

Please can anybody whose already got a FL RS3 confirm how long the sim card is for that comes already installed? I was under the impression it was only for 3mths, however talking to the salesman yesterday he suggested it was good for 3yrs.

Please can anybody whose already got a FL RS3 confirm how long the sim card is for that comes already installed? I was under the impression it was only for 3mths, however talking to the salesman yesterday he suggested it was good for 3yrs.

It depends on what capability you want. Your AudiConnect subscription lasts for 3 years with the Tech Pack.

You don't get the wireless hotspot with the inbuilt sim, you have to buy another with a mobile provider for that.

You can add wi-fi hotspot / data packages using the embedded sim by Audi's telecom partner - Cubic.

I picked up my RS3 on Friday and totally love it. I had the first generation back in 2012 and Merc AMGs ever since. I’m genuinely surprised how far they’ve come on since the first generation in terms of refinement and overall interior quality - beats the Mercs in my view.

Same issue here with the in-built sim. Google maps etc should work free of charge for 36 months. I’ve tried the deactivating/reactivating the data module, leaving for 20 mins etc several times without joy :(

Anyone else not managed to get theirs working after following the fix?

I picked up my RS3 on Friday and totally love it. I had the first generation back in 2012 and Merc AMGs ever since. I’m genuinely surprised how far they’ve come on since the first generation in terms of refinement and overall interior quality - beats the Mercs in my view.

Same issue here with the in-built sim. Google maps etc should work free of charge for 36 months. I’ve tried the deactivating/reactivating the data module, leaving for 20 mins etc several times without joy :(

Anyone else not managed to get theirs working after following the fix?

I had to reset the MMI first before following the procedure that seemed to work, I can't remember the exact menu, but basically erases all user settings. If you can't find it let me know and I'll go and have a look.

I better do this when I collect mine next week

I better do this when I collect mine next week
I would just make sure that it's working before you leave the dealer, will save you the hassle, enjoy your collection, you won't be disappointed :smiley:

Cheers for the tips. I did a reset of the MMI but still no luck. It’s not the end of the world but I would like to get it working - looks like a trip back to the dealer

Cheers for the tips. I did a reset of the MMI but still no luck. It’s not the end of the world but I would like to get it working - looks like a trip back to the dealer

Think of the perks of that, you have an excuse to drive the car!! If I can’t get mine to work, I will have no quibbles on driving the 160 mile round trip on country roads :D

Reactions: g5und

Did you read my post above about connecting to the car hotspot and opening a google page?

Did you read my post above about connecting to the car hotspot and opening a google page?

I tried that. When connecting my iPhone to the car WiFi, it shows ‘no internet connection available’. Opening a web page just used the phones cell connection.

Can you remember the site you were directed to by any chance? Cheers.

I tried that. When connecting my iPhone to the car WiFi, it shows ‘no internet connection available’. Opening a web page just used the phones cell connection.

Can you remember the site you were directed to by any chance? Cheers.

What he did isn’t correct - you don’t need to register the SIM unless you want to pay for the hotspot.

You should however register for audi connect at http://my.audi.com (which may be what he did).

However the data connection SIM on some cars (like mine) didn’t work until I had turned off the data and turned it back on just like described above.

I got mine working by following the advice above in the connection manager. Turn off the data module and then turn it back on, this then activated my in-built sim. Then log into my audi using the log in details or pin from the phone app, you have access to all audi connect features free of charge for 3 years, including google earth. The only feature you need a plan for is wifi hot spot, you can buy data packages from inside the car or from my audi.
I have also been told from my dealer you can get a 4th year free, simply by phoning audi when your subscription is up :)

I got mine working by following the advice above in the connection manager. Turn off the data module and then turn it back on, this then activated my in-built sim. Then log into my audi using the log in details or pin from the phone app, you have access to all audi connect features free of charge for 3 years, including google earth. The only feature you need a plan for is wifi hot spot, you can buy data packages from inside the car or from my audi.
I have also been told from my dealer you can get a 4th year free, simply by phoning audi when your subscription is up :)

Thanks, very helpful. Screenshotted this and will keep it safe for when mine gets here in a months time :D

Thanks, very helpful. Screenshotted this and will keep it safe for when mine gets here in a months time :D
No problem mate, if you have any issues give me a shout and i'll go see the exact sequence I did :)

Reactions: AudiNutta
I've followed all of this, several times and its not playing ball at all. Wondering if I have a faulty data module. Audi appear to be as equally perplexed :(

Well I’m sat at the dealer now as Audi connect isn’t working. They are saying they have to do a hard reset ....... can’t wait to drive it

They say they have done it. I have to wait 20 mins now

Well I’m sat at the dealer now as Audi connect isn’t working. They are saying they have to do a hard reset ....... can’t wait to drive it
Says a lot for there PDI inspection? and also Audi quality checking, hmm :hopelessness:
Hope its sorted now and your on your way. :racer:

Are you picking up your new car now?

I've done a hard reset also - didn't help. I need to get mine booked in.
yep got it and back home now... great drive... still trying to set things up... lol

they did the reset using their own laptop..... not sure what system they used but worked a treat .... navigation using google maps is a revelation!!!!!... its like your watching a TV....LOL

yep got it and back home now... great drive... still trying to set things up... lol

they did the reset using their own laptop..... not sure what system they used but worked a treat .... navigation using google maps is a revelation!!!!!... its like your watching a TV....LOL
Pics?

No idea how to upload the pics on this forum

[photo=medium]8903[/photo][photo=medium]8903[/photo][photo=medium]8902[/photo][photo=medium]8901[/photo][photo=medium]8900[/photo]

Reactions: Splathead, g5und and phantom_s3
[photo=medium]8904[/photo]

It is mate.... my mate is the sales manager there

Cool! We picked a car up from there back last February, I recognise handover bays anywhere haha.

My S3 isn’t far from there, 45 minutes closer to the M4.