S4 Dual Pulley

Cerbera9

Reaction score
Is anyone on here running Dual Pulley if so what other mods do you have?
Does anyone have an dyno results to show?

Which year car you got? The different engines respond differently to the different tunes. For example, APR's dual pulley delivers less peak power than the single pulley on the CREC based engines (mid 2014 onwards) and is only suggested when you go ultracharger.

Which year car you got? The different engines respond differently to the different tunes. For example, APR's dual pulley delivers less peak power than the single pulley on the CREC based engines (mid 2014 onwards) and is only suggested when you go ultracharger.
2010 DSG. I already have MRC stage 2 with the larger crank pulley

Mrc have some bigger power mods in the pipeline that should be out soon and I've not even managed to get mine in for a remap yet

Reactions: Lavis89
Mrc have some bigger power mods in the pipeline that should be out soon and I've not even managed to get mine in for a remap yet
That's news to me, any idea what they are? I thought they had gone as far as they were going too tuning the 3.0 supercharged engines and concentrating on developing tuning for the newer 2.9turbo engine such as that found in the new S5 etc??

Sorry, can't help on the curves as the car is too old for me, but you could check on APR's page to see relative performance for your engine. The absolute values may not be what you have, but the relative ones may give you some indication.

As to further tuning, from what I understand, air into the engine is key. That's why the ultracharger being a bigger throttle body works. I'd expect MRC to be going that way for more power, but I have no knowledge..

As an aside, the new S4/5 has a 3l single scroll turbo, the RS5 has a 2.9l twin scroll turbo. Going to be interesting what happens here - I've seen various claims all the way from "the ECU is uncrackable, so it's a new ECU to tune" to "should be more than 600hp with the turbo".... Personally, if I wanted to tune, I'd be going with the B8.5 package...

BTW, the reason for the interest in the 3l supercharged engine tuning is the A6/A7 has them in...

That's news to me, any idea what they are? I thought they had gone as far as they were going too tuning the 3.0 supercharged engines and concentrating on developing tuning for the newer 2.9turbo engine such as that found in the new S5 etc??

A 210mm crank pully to give a 'dual pully' ratio and a bigger throttle body like APR's

I have dual pulley (181mm crank revo charger pulley)
The graphs bellow show the torque gain to some extent (before & after) but the tune at the time was bleeding boost over 3,500 RPM(if you look at the dual pulley graph you can see it at around 3,750RPM).So it doesn't give the full picture.That has since been rectified,but I have not been back on the Dyno.
Mods in signature
Wbzmipu

I have dual pulley (181mm crank revo charger pulley)
The graphs bellow show the torque gain to some extent (before & after) but the tune at the time was bleeding boost over 3,500 RPM(if you look at the dual pulley graph you can see it at around 3,750RPM).So it doesn't give the full picture.That has since been rectified,but I have not been back on the Dyno.
Mods in signature
View attachment 135469
How did you resolve the boost bleed, was it just a mapping issue?

Yes, this is interesting, but I'll wait for more details. It all depends on the package, and if it is for the CREC as well as the gen 1 engine. I don't mind uprating my charge cooling but I don't want to have to go to test pipes and mess around at MOT time. I believe that MRC have worked with Milltek in the past so if they come up with some high flow cats then I could be tempted.

The traffic is so bad round here that I don't get much chance to even use my existing 475bhp. But I suppose as an enthusiast if there's a decent stage 2+/3 on offer then I guess I'll go for it anyway!

As to the B9, yes it has the latest Bosch ECU with supposedly state-of-the-art encryption. I read that its the same ECU as BMW use for their 3.0 turbo engines which so far have not been cracked. If so then the B8 might stay popular with the tuners longer than we expected?

It was just a mapping issue.No boost bleed now & the difference is very noticeable

How did you resolve the boost bleed, was it just a mapping issue?

I believe that MRC have worked with Milltek in the past so if they come up with some high flow cats then I could be tempted.
I contacted them earlier in the year and they quoted me £900 for a pair of cats and 6 hours to fit them. Think best part of £1500, but they do exist apparently. And yes, I checked they were MOT friendly.

As to the B9, yes it has the latest Bosch ECU with supposedly state-of-the-art encryption. I read that its the same ECU as BMW use for their 3.0 turbo engines which so far have not been cracked. If so then the B8 might stay popular with the tuners longer than we expected?
I work in securing electronic devices from being hacked by using encryption and signing techniques. It would be possible to make these things very, very difficult to hack. Whether they do or not is another matter.

Reactions: V6_Man
I wonder what techniques the tuners use to hack ECUs. Supercomputing tech is pretty accessible these days - as evident by the boom in crypto-currency.

Encryption is generally easier to break than code that is signed. The thing about signing code (where you calculate a checksum across an area and then digitally sign it with a private key) is virtually uncrackable if you use a long enough key. That is, you need access to the private key to change a single bit in the signed image. You might well be able to see it in all its glory, but you can stop it running if you change anything.

I have no idea what power places like the NSA have, so don't know if they are more advanced.... but then they are unlikely to be trying to hack Audis.

Dunno. But those who have a B9 can contact them if they want. Was just saying that you can tie stuff down really hard if you want to.... And as I said, encryption isn't the way to secure it.

When I had my B5 tuned by AmD (when they were in Bicester), they "chipped" the ECU. I had a quick look on their website in a section about tuning and saw this photo. Maybe they are still "chipping"?
317.jpg

Reactions: V6_Man and xpoweruk
Can anyone confirm the diamete of the MRC crank pulley, I seem to remember reading somewhere it was 189mm but I think that was unconfirmed.

Correct. Their 'middle-sized' one that most cars have is 189mm.

Yes, for their most popular tune. They have a smaller one for those who want to track, and a larger one for those who want the biggest upgrade. I don't know the sizes of those ones. The OE pulley is 162.06mm.

Yes, for their most popular tune. They have a smaller one for those who want to track, and a larger one for those who want the biggest upgrade. I don't know the sizes of those ones. The OE pulley is 162.06mm.
Gotcha.
I still have my original crank.
And the one with the stage 2 package is around 185 -189mm. And you can tell with alot more down torque.