Pirelli P Zero

Ian66

Reaction score
hi everyone

Just a wee question ........... does anyone know if you can put Pirelli p zero with rim protector on 225/40/18? I've been looking at online discount tyre companies (e.g. Camskills, my Tyres, etc) and getting nowhere

Why would you want to? Terrible tyre for the money when compared to the competition from Michelin and Conti.

Can't wait to wear mine out (granted 19s) as they are pretty awful.

Reactions: RSS-S3 and Ad72
I'm a Michelin man, err sorry fan!
Mine came with 19" P Zeros. I don't mind them as much as I thought and the rim protection is excellent.
But........... like @paradigital , I'll be changing to my faves as soon as they wear out. Although mine have 7000+ miles and have loads left even although I'm on windy back roads and not hanging about on most of my daily driving.

Reactions: Rolly12
Strange most say there gash because, there standard oem tyres for both the RS3 and TTRS well if the TTRS is optioned with 20" rims that is

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Martinbanshee
I pushed mine a bit round the damp roads this morning and they seem fine to me.

Strange most say there gash because, there standard oem tyres for both the RS3 and TTRS well if the TTRS is optioned with 20" rims that is

I find absolutely no problem with them. My Continue SC5's on the S3 were rubbish, level of grip was p*** poor and the road noise was much worse. The Pirelli are much smoother and the car is on rails in comparison, I've never felt understeer in this car without pushing it ridiculously. Foot buried into the carpet coming off roundabouts and it doesn't budge, plus the Pirelli's look great! For my brother to be laughing his head off and the car to be solid on the road, the tyres aren't exactly ruining the handling.

It's only the last few months I've really truly experienced pushing harder, gives you more grip. I always used to make the mistake of backing off too much and making the car unstable, when you put some trust into the car the grip is phenomenal. I can't wait to drive the RS3, seeing as it's supposed to be in another league.
It's easy to forget how good these cars are, using my pushbike for work is making me realise how blinking fast they are when I get back in it after a few days. Driving my girlfriends Corsa around roundabouts at normal speed and feeling as if I've overcooked it is scary, you have to drive a car other than an Audi / Quattro every now and again to appreciate what we have.

My detailer should be giving me a long term lend of his Smart Car courtesy car between when the S3 goes and the RS comes. That should help me appreciate what the RS is when I get into it.

Btw Jassy, think I've found a serious buyer for my car based in Dundee... he has offered me a price next month, which is the price Audi quoted me 2 months ago for it. He wants it for himself for 6 months or so before he moves it on because he 'fancies it', he's a small-ish trader. He has offered to pick it up, but providing he does me a good deal to cover travelling I am quite keen on venturing up to Scotland because it's not very often I will have to make a trip like that. I've only ever been in Scotland once in my life, that was travelling through after getting the ferry from Belfast.
Total cost for two people to fly from Dundee to London Stansted, then a coach to South Wales is £200 which isn't bad. Myself and the girlfriend love a good road trip, can't think of one much more exciting with a flight too ;)
Its also a distraction technique, I don't want it to be collected for me to walk back in the house and dwell on it, because I'm going to be gutted.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I find absolutely no problem with them. My Continue SC5's on the S3 were rubbish, level of grip was p*** poor and the road noise was much worse. The Pirelli are much smoother and the car is on rails in comparison, I've never felt understeer in this car without pushing it ridiculously. Foot buried into the carpet coming off roundabouts and it doesn't budge, plus the Pirelli's look great! For my brother to be laughing his head off and the car to be solid on the road, the tyres aren't exactly ruining the handling.

It's only the last few months I've really truly experienced pushing harder, gives you more grip. I always used to make the mistake of backing off too much and making the car unstable, when you put some trust into the car the grip is phenomenal. I can't wait to drive the RS3, seeing as it's supposed to be in another league.
It's easy to forget how good these cars are, using my pushbike for work is making me realise how blinking fast they are when I get back in it after a few days. Driving my girlfriends Corsa around roundabouts at normal speed and feeling as if I've overcooked it is scary, you have to drive a car other than an Audi / Quattro every now and again to appreciate what we have.

My detailer should be giving me a long term lend of his Smart Car courtesy car between when the S3 goes and the RS comes. That should help me appreciate what the RS is when I get into it.

Btw Jassy, think I've found a serious buyer for my car based in Dundee... he has offered me a price next month, which is the price Audi quoted me 2 months ago for it. He wants it for himself for 6 months or so before he moves it on because he 'fancies it', he's a small-ish trader. He has offered to pick it up, but providing he does me a good deal to cover travelling I am quite keen on venturing up to Scotland because it's not very often I will have to make a trip like that. I've only ever been in Scotland once in my life, that was travelling through after getting the ferry from Belfast.
Total cost for two people to fly from Dundee to London Stansted, then a coach to South Wales is £200 which isn't bad. Myself and the girlfriend love a good road trip, can't think of one much more exciting with a flight too ;)
Its also a distraction technique, I don't want it to be collected for me to walk back in the house and dwell on it, because I'm going to be gutted.

Thing is travelling to Scotland is he 100% for the car if....so Driving up is a no brainer mate

Reactions: batch
Thing is travelling to Scotland is he 100% for the car if....so Driving up is a no brainer mate

That's what I said to him, I'd send him close up photos of every panel and show him every stone chip because I'd need a 100% guarantee he was having it. He seems really keen on it, he wanted it now but £30k to settle the finance is too much for him which I knew it would be. He's told me if I don't have an offer better than his come October, he will have it.

I'm just looking at the route and it looks like it would be an amazing experience, it's a trip I'm not likely to make on a jolly for a long time. I'd probably ask him to place a £500 deposit or alike to pay for travelling but I'd rather drive it than have it collected, make a good trip/memory out of a bad one.

I just changed out my P zeros for a couple of reasons.....They are not recommended or guaranteed by Pirelli for temperatures under 45 F. They loose adhesion in low temperatures especially in the wet, they lack control on uneven pavement surfaces. They are a good Summer tyre, quiet and pretty grippy. I live in a climate that sees winter temperatures around 5-10 C normally and dips to -5 C and possibly lower.
I bought Pirelli P Zero 235/35/19 All Season Plus..not as grippy in the dry, but better wet adhesion, better on uneven pavement, a wee bit more noise and good for light snow. I used to put on winter tyres and alloys but have decided on this compromise and I will park the car if their is a heavy snowfall.
This is just food for thought for those that live in colder climates in the UK
Here is the warning for Pirelli and most high performance Summer tyres.

P Zero tires are Max Performance Summer tires derived from 100 years of Pirelli motorsport experience and developed for the drivers of powerful sports cars, sports coupes and high performance luxury sedans. Initially introduced as Original Equipment on the Aston Martin DB9, Audi R8, Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, Lamborghini Murcielago, Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT and Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles, the P Zero lineup also includes select replacement tire sizes. Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero, like all summer tires, is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures and through snow or on ice.

@AudiNutta be very careful with a distant offer based on you delivering the car. Most people will still want to haggle or find some minor fault to reduce the price, it is human nature. He/She has you at their mercy, you have booked travel arrangements etc. and most sellers will give in to a lower price, regardless of before agreed deal.
I would also suggest you put the resonator back on the vehicle.

Last edited:
Won't take long. Managed 8k on a set once - without even trying to wear them out....

Rubbish.
My PZero fronts lasted 9k! Driven exactly the same and the MPSS have lasted 24k and still going ...

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dan_G and batch
@AudiNutta be very careful with a distant offer based on you delivering the car. Most people will still want to haggle or find some minor fault to reduce the price, it is human nature. He/She has you at their mercy, you have booked travel arrangements etc. and most sellers will give in to a lower price, regardless of before agreed deal.
I would also suggest you put the resonator back on the vehicle.

Thanks for your advice! The resonator is going back on, it will go back on in the beginning of October and the car will be 100% standard then.

He has said he doesn't mind travelling to pick it up and will discuss logistics closer to the time. I said I'd be happy to drive it up if the deal could reflect any travelling costs. My motives for driving it up are; make a trip out of a bad time and Scotland isn't just somewhere I would travel without good reason.
It's 450 miles from me so not a getaway break either, so it's probabably one of the very few times I will ever go. I'm 20 now and have been once before driving through.

Scotland is one of those places that you just have to see / do, which is encouraging me.

@AudiNutta 450 miles....just a nice day's drive. You should take your time though and meander up through the Lake District on A591, back to the M6 then A7 to Edinburgh, M9 to Stirling, then A84 through Callander continue to Lochearnhead, then A85 to Perth, then A90 to Dundee. Just one suggestion as there are many you can choose from. I would take 5 days and then you have many more options. West Coast from Glasgow up to Ullapool , over to Inverness then through then Cairngorns ( not by the A9 ) take the A939, A93, A923 to Dundee. Now if you really want to make a meal of it, from Ullapool continue North, along the coastline to Scrabster then to Stromness, in the Orkney Islands by ferry, back to Scrabster then to Inverness and follow the suggestion from there to Dundee.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn and BarryG79
@AudiNutta 450 miles....just a nice day's drive. You should take your time and meander up through the Lake District, A7 to Edinburgh, M9 to Stirling, then A84 through Callander continue to Lochearnhead, then A85 to Perth, then A90 to Dundee. Just one suggestion as there are many you can choose from. I would take 5 days and the you have many more options. West Coast up to Ullapool , over to Inverness then through then Cairngorns ( not by the A9 ) take the A939, A93, A923 to Dundee. Now if you really want to make a meal of it, from Ullapool continue North, along the coastline to Scrabster then to Stromness, in the Orkney Islands by ferry, back to Scrabster then to Inverness and follow the suggestion from there to Dundee.

Wow really lots of options, haha. If I did it, I would be likely to make it one big 24 hour trip but I would be planning my route up to get onto some good roads as much as that will make letting the car go harder. I will certainly look though because I will have to decide whether to make it 24 hours or 2 days.

If it's 24 hours I will be leaving Wales in the early hours, be there at midday. Dundee airport only flies to London Stansted, flight is at 16:30 and then a coach back to Wales, getting me back home at 2am which is a 22 hour trip.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Wow really lots of options, haha. If I did it, I would be likely to make it one big 24 hour trip but I would be planning my route up to get onto some good roads as much as that will make letting the car go harder. I will certainly look though because I will have to decide whether to make it 24 hours or 2 days.

If it's 24 hours I will be leaving Wales in the early hours, be there at midday. Dundee airport only flies to London Stansted, flight is at 16:30 and then a coach back to Wales, getting me back home at 2am which is a 22 hour trip.

A coach? F**k that... get a train...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A coach? F**k that... get a train...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trains are ridiculous from city to city, that's why I won't get a train from Dundee to Glasgow and fly direct to Cardiff.

Coach is nice and easy, park outside the airport... £40 for two, 5 hours to sleep it off and then home haha.

What psi are you lads running on 19's p zero's, with a full load.. I've picked her up with 50psi all round, surprised I had a back left when I got home.

Reactions: batch, Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
I can't check, cars in the garage having a few tweaks done, now waiting for parts. I'll take some pressure readings when it comes back.

Reactions: Djs3saloon
Can't wait to get shot of my Conti's... horrid tyre.

What psi are you lads running on 19's p zero's, with a full load.. I've picked her up with 50psi all round, surprised I had a back left when I got home.

44 PSI on cold tyres.....50, some no brain has put in max sidewall indicated psi.

Mine was like this, I ripped into the dealer via email and he ignored me. Shows the car doesn't have a proper PDI, they are set that high to avoid flat spots.

Mine are set to 38 front, 35 rear as the sticker in the door. The Saloon I had on loan was 39 front and 36 rear.

Mine was like this, I ripped into the dealer via email and he ignored me. Shows the car doesn't have a proper PDI, they are set that high to avoid flat spots.

Mine are set to 38 front, 35 rear as the sticker in the door. The Saloon I had on loan was 39 front and 36 rear.
Cheers Matt. Helpful as always.. mine are set 42 all round now. I've just got back from 400 mile trip with a heavy load and the ride was really smooth imo

Cheers Matt. Helpful as always.. mine are set 42 all round now. I've just got back from 400 mile trip with a heavy load and the ride was really smooth imo

Don't mention it, that's what we are all here for.

I have never felt the need to deviate from stock, my primary concern is to fulfill the life of the tyres and I hope that the stock settings won't be far off but I know people do set their own pressures.

It's a pity you don't have longer. There are many many places worth visiting even if you only go as far north as the Perthshire or Angus / Tayside areas. Dundee's not the greatest although it's currently being regenerated. Unfortunately you won't be seeing the best we have to offer up here.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
It's a pity you don't have longer. There are many many places worth visiting even if you only go as far north as the Perthshire or Angus / Tayside areas. Dundee's not the greatest although it's currently being regenerated. Unfortunately you won't be seeing the best we have to offer up here.

It is a shame I won't have more time, but I'd rather drive to Scotland and experience the views from the roads than not go at all. It is so far away, you really wouldn't travel from South Wales without good reason.

It is a shame I won't have more time, but I'd rather drive to Scotland and experience the views from the roads than not go at all. It is so far away, you really wouldn't travel from South Wales without good reason.

It is a pity you are not taking longer, as the motorways are not the best way to view any country and certainly not fun driving roads. Audi Bairn's comment on Dundee was a wee bit of an understatement. Tell us your route and we might suggest another that might add a few hours but may be more scenic and test your driving skills.

Reactions: Rolly12 and Audi Bairn
It is a pity you are not taking longer, as the motorways are not the best way to view any country and certainly not fun driving roads. Audi Bairn's comment on Dundee was a wee bit of an understatement. Tell us your route and we might suggest another that might add a few hours but may be more scenic and test your driving skills.

You're tempting me more into driving up the day before now, haha. I will get in touch closer to the time once it's 100% certain I am going. His offer is very strong for a trader because he wants to use it himself, so I can't see it being beaten but it's still 5 weeks away.

jump off the M6 at J36 for 5 mins and see me, then go for a razz about the lakes....nothing better than downshift popping through bowness/windermere/ambleside main streets :whistle2:

Reactions: Rolly12, Audi Bairn, Djs3saloon and 1 other person
You're tempting me more into driving up the day before now, haha. I will get in touch closer to the time once it's 100% certain I am going. His offer is very strong for a trader because he wants to use it himself, so I can't see it being beaten but it's still 5 weeks away.

Hope you realise your getting all this expertise for nothing @AudiNutta :friends:
One of the perks of being a member on here lol
By the time we're finished you'll be taking a fortnight off, doing the North Coast 500 etc before selling your car, then you can do it all over again in the RS!

Reactions: Rolly12, BarryG79 and AudiNutta
jump off the M6 at J36 for 5 mins and see me, then go for a razz about the lakes....nothing better than downshift popping through bowness/windermere/ambleside main streets :whistle2:

The primary reason for this trip is slipping now ;) I'm supposed to be selling the car not getting even more attached (if that's even possible) :( haha

Reactions: MattSedg
Hope you realise your getting all this expertise for nothing @AudiNutta :friends:
One of the perks of being a member on here lol
By the time we're finished you'll be taking a fortnight off, doing the North Coast 500 etc before selling your car, then you can do it all over again in the RS!

I do appreciate it, all of the Scots are coming out of the woods ;)

North Coast 500? Should I feel bad for not knowing what that is? The dilemma I have, is a trip like that worth putting 1000+ miles on the car in a matter of days? :/ I do try and be sensible with mileage.

Reactions: Rolly12 and Audi Bairn
The primary reason for this trip is slipping now ;) I'm supposed to be selling the car not getting even more attached (if that's even possible) :( haha
Well...it's probably a good job you'd have your resonator back on then :tearsofjoy:

Well...it's probably a good job you'd have your resonator back on then :tearsofjoy:

I'm not looking forward to that, I feel like I need to do it after the next show in a weeks time but I will be too sad. I'm sad enough now knowing it's going, I always get attached to cars.

Back when I was 7/8 we had a BMW 528i and went to London to PX it, I cried 80% of the way there by all accounts and my parents had to buy me a Gameboy Game to try and make me happy again.

Reactions: MattSedg and Audi Bairn
I do appreciate it, all of the Scots are coming out of the woods ;)

North Coast 500? Should I feel bad for not knowing what that is? The dilemma I have, is a trip like that worth putting 1000+ miles on the car in a matter of days? :/ I do try and be sensible with mileage.

Here you go

http://www.northcoast500.com/

It's an absolutely stunning part of an already stunning country (ok I am biased!!). You don't need to do it all though.

You don't need to go that far north though. I've given @Chris43 some ideas for his Perthshire / Loch Tay trip.

Here you go

http://www.northcoast500.com/

It's an absolutely stunning part of an already stunning country (ok I am biased!!). You don't need to do it all though.

You don't need to go that far north though. I've given @Chris43 some ideas for his Perthshire / Loch Tay trip.

Trouble is, I'm 3/4 of the way south ;) I shall have a look if I feel the need to take on a big road trip.

If it was just 500 miles I'd do that to run in the car, but it's 600 miles each way travelling too :( I'd love to drive it, but I have to question is nearly 2000 miles on a car that valuable a sensible thing, damn it