Scrappage scheme announced!

deanshaw24

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Audi have just announced a scrappage scheme which starts today! Up to £6000 off a new Audi!! Rs models exempt obviously. But whoaa

Audi have just announced a scrappage scheme which starts today! Up to £6000 off a new Audi!! Rs models exempt obviously. But whoaa
Yeah but it's not going to be on top of the likes of carwow prices! and it says up to!!!

EDIT* Here you go :)

Scrap

The offer cannot be combined with any specific supported Audi Finance promotional rate.

Last edited:
Yeah but it's not going to be on top of the likes of carwow prices! and it says up to!!!

EDIT* Here you go :)

View attachment 135056

The offer cannot be combined with any specific supported Audi Finance promotional rate.
Yeah the specific discount meaning U.K. Contributing. You can still get the 10 odd % dealer discount

Thick question say I have an old Diesel worth £5k - is the scrappage allowance on top of that?

Or is it literally my old Diesel is worth £1k but they'll give me £4k off the Q5 instead etc?

Last edited:
Yeah the specific discount meaning U.K. Contributing. You can still get the 10 odd % dealer discount
I'd be very surprised if they did, ...it would kill the second hand sales and GFV. I recently got just under 8k off an A5 coupe, (2.5k being from Audi) so change their £2.5k to the advertised 6k and it would have been £11.5k off the A5, which brings it just over £25k with the options I went for. They wouldn't be selling any of their used A5's!

It's like the APR %, a lot of the time it comes lower but so does the Audi contribution. It goes up and so does the Audi contribution....swings and roundabouts.

Thick question say I have an old Diesel worth £5k - is the scrappage allowance on top of that?
No, they will give you the scrappage allowance relevant for your car depending on what you buy...not on top of it. My nephew had a Corsa worth about £800, Vauxhall £2k scrappage scheme were giving him £2k for it not £2,800.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kuku
Hang on! So I give them my car and they give me £4K discount. But! Normally they give around 10% discount, so on a £30k A3 that's £3k, so they essentially are giving a £1k inventive to use the scrapage scheme. Audi trade in values are reported as much less than market value right? So prob not worth doing as you will get more than Audis trade in value and still get 10% discount

Time to buy a banger!

Time to buy a banger!

Yes and no....sure I read in small print car needs to be ordered by end Dec 17 and I may have read this on Audi or another manufacture not sure now but you need to have owned the car for at least 6 months

Reactions: deanshaw24
The above is correct, but I don't know wether you need to have owned the car 6 months when you order it or when you take delivery!!

Reactions: Kuku
I know someone in the trade at a Ford dealership and they are doing a similar thing...

The amount given on each model varies and it is in lieu of any other manufacture support.

The p/x to be scrapped and you can't use the value of your car and the scrappage. In effect the value of your p/x is shown as zero

You must have owned the car for 6 months, so no point going out to buy a banger. It's based on the order date not delivery.

Also manufactures support is different to dealer discount, so keep pushing the dealer for further discount.. However the deposit contribution may be affected, will find out next week what the deal is with that.

I'm going to use the scheme and scrap my A6, it's not worth £4000 due to age, body work condition & mileage. But I was going to break the car, but not going to bother now. However they don't say what condition of the car must be handed over in! So all the MMI system will be ripped out the (I retrofited 3GP), the new PS4's I've just fitted will be replace with barely legal limit tyres, and if people what to swap parts off my car + cash my way then I'll do it. After all these cars are going to be crushed so no scene in good parts going in the crusher.

Reactions: deanshaw24
You must have owned the car for 6 months, so no point going out to buy a banger. It's based on the order date not delivery.

Also manufactures support is different to dealer discount, so keep pushing the dealer for further discount.. However the deposit contribution may be affected, will find out next week what the deal is with that.

I'm going to use the scheme and scrap my A6, it's not worth £4000 due to age, body work condition & mileage. But I was going to break the car, but not going to bother now. However they don't say what condition of the car must be handed over in! So all the MMI system will be ripped out the (I retrofited 3GP), the new PS4's I've just fitted will be replace with barely legal limit tyres, and if people what to swap parts off my car + cash my way then I'll do it. After all these cars are going to be crushed so no scene in good parts going in the crusher.
There will be no deposit contribution when using the scrappage scheme. Only dealer discount will be available. I have a 2002 golf 150 tdi which is only worth £1000 but it's such a good car I don't want it to be scrapped. But if someone is offering me £6k for it towards an s5..... ahhhh

From what I understand s & rs models are not part of the scheme, along with the a8 and q7 tdi models

There will be no deposit contribution when using the scrappage scheme. Only dealer discount will be available. I have a 2002 golf 150 tdi which is only worth £1000 but it's such a good car I don't want it to be scrapped. But if someone is offering me £6k for it towards an s5..... ahhhh

But if your Golf is worth a grand and an S5 is how much? £50k? 10% discount is 5k off? so your deal is exactly the same if you use the scheme or not? Im basing the normal deposit contribution & discount being around 10% which is normal right? am i missing something or am i the only one that thinks the whole scheme is a rip-off/con? unless you have an old fiesta diesel worth £100 that you can trade in.

BTW, no schemes over here in Portugal or France in my dads region. Could this be a Brexit ploy to keep the industry moving? Create a bad/evil public image of diesel (not that it isn't! i agree old diesels should be banned) and offer scrapage schemes to keep the car industry afloat and EU bosses willing to invest & keep business in the UK?

am i missing something or am i the only one that thinks the whole scheme is a rip-off/con? unless you have an old fiesta diesel worth £100 that you can trade in.

That's the whole point - to allow people to 'scrap' older, dirtier diesel cars, not as a general discount scheme for people buying an S5. Yes of course you're not going to get the discounts you would have without the scheme so the overall saving isn't going to be what's advertised but that's par for the course with such things.

Been told by the dealers today that you will lose the "Centre deposit contribution" however this does not make sense.

For example on the A7 the there is a £10,000.00 "Centre deposit contribution" yet the scrappage is only £7,000.00!

Why would you scrap a car to get less money than the basic discount off the car.....

I've email the dealer to make sure this is 100% correct.

Reactions: Ormesome
Been told by the dealers today that you will lose the "Centre deposit contribution" however this does not make sense.

For example on the A7 the there is a £10,000.00 "Centre deposit contribution" yet the scrappage is only £7,000.00!

Why would you scrap a car to get less money than the basic discount off the car.....

I've email the dealer to make sure this is 100% correct.

This was my point in my post above! makes no sense! Seems like a scheme that will just appeal to those of us that are uninformed...Without the use of this forum i wouldn't have known that the average discount/contribution is 10% so perhaps the average buyer will assume its a good deal as discounts aren't widely published.

Am i right in saying that during the last scrapage scheme the government offered a contribution towards the scrapping of a vehicle? So at that point the dealer could still offer discounts & contributions as the government propped up the scheme? This scrapage scheme has no government backing & is basically marketing and piggy backing on to the back of the "lets kill diesel" attitude of late!

Last edited:
Well I've still got my dealer discount of 13% but lose the £850 (to be confirmed), and now may get the trade-in price on my A6 as well(to be confirmed)

My A6 due to the body work condition and mileage is not worth £3,250 let alone £4,000 so I'm up regardless. I did get a trade-in price and it was just over £1,000. Also the gearbox is starting to act up so this scheme has just come in time for me. Have to say with the offers as it stands it not going to help many people!

Be wary thinking it's a great deal - I've got an S3 on order at the moment (just built and waiting at the port in Germany from what I can tell), and my Euro-IV diesel is worth around £2k, so I could potentially benefit form the £4k on offer for the scrappage scheme...

... however...

If you're going for PCP and you go for scrappage, you lose the £850 centre contribution (as already commented), but my dealer today has said I'll also lose the "supported" rate of 4.5% (how "supported" a rate of 4.5% needs to be when the base rate is currently 0.5% is another question!) - and I'll get a rate of 6%. So effectively that additional £2k for the trade-in gets entirely eaten up in extra borrowing costs.

In other words, it's costing Audi nothing, and worse than that - what's trumped as being a great offer with VW/Audi putting their hands in their pockets to help the environment (and make them some positive PR after dieselgate etc.) could actually give them an additional return from people who do take it up.

Don't get me wrong - I was happy with the deal I was getting when I ordered the car and still am now - the scrappage would just have been a nice bonus! The discount I'd negotiated with the dealer would still have applied with the scrappage scheme.

Is there anywhere stating that the cars traded in will be scrapped? Last scrapage scheme was government supported/propped up and one of the stipulations was that all traded in vehicles were crushed. However this isn't supported by the government and has no set rules. Each manufacturer to their own. Reckon they will try to make extra cash by selling the vehicles at auction?