Most recurring problem on your 1.8T?

QuattroCalum

Reaction score
Just in from another repair on my car with the single most recurring problem I've had with my Passat 1.8t and the A4 1.8t. Injector O rings, I don't know what it is with them but they always leak.
On my Passat, I went to the extremes of replacing the injector seats as well, they are bonded into the inlet manifold from factory. So along with new O rings, after a while they leaked, apparent by the staining around the injector seat on the manifold. I've just removed the O rings and used PTFE tape round the injector, then put the O ring on top of it and then gave a few more wraps over the O ring itself, this seems to be the most effective approach.
This might sound like a bodge but if you appreciate the sealing quality and it's ability to withstand heat/pressure you'll know it's up to the task.
Before anyone asks why don't you just replace the O rings? They were already replaced earlier this year and past experience showed replacing seats and O rings didn't work either!
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/Thielios/media/bWVkaWFJZDoyNzQyNzAyMw==/?ref=

The symptoms can include, lean codes, rough idle, misfires, higher than usual mpg although this won't be apparent if you're taking it easy (they leak when the inlet is under boost pressure) normal running only sees vacuum masking the problem as vacuum helps it seal.

Looking forward to hearing your experiences/problems with your 1.8t

Reactions: Andyb5tdi
Interesting, will have to check mine. I've had to replace the DV 4 times on mine(all genuine ones) so far this last one seems to have lasted more that a year.lol

Interesting, will have to check mine. I've had to replace the DV 4 times on mine(all genuine ones) so far this last one seems to have lasted more that a year.lol

4 times? How much boost are you pushing, only ever replaced one in 11 years of 1.8t ownership!
Part number ending with 710n is from the TT and holds more pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Standard boost, not sure if it's more on the bex engine than any of the others. 3 have split bodies and one was split diaphragm. Also had to replace oil sensor in the sump 3 times.

Yeah BEX runs more boost and has two side mount intercoolers but you know that. Sounds like I've got off lightly with my leaky injectors, had to do the sump sensor on the A4, not hard and an excuse for an even earlier oil change. Can't bear the warning lights.

Reactions: Welshquattro
Yeah as soon as you see a oil warning light pop up you think the worst, then you see the word sensor under it and you breath easy again.lol

Reactions: Andyb5tdi
Mine keeps telling me that the left rear brake light is out, then it goes off again must be a dirty connection ****** annoying.

Reactions: Welshquattro
Mine at the moment is showing a airbag fault on the drivers seat again. Will reset it again until I get time to fix the loom.

I just use resistors for my seats... also have buckets so no other way I could get around this really haha.

So I finally changed the bulb, it had a poor connection (loose) I bent the contact on the bulb holder so it would have a tighter connection, job done.
Then just to mess with me, it came up for rear left fog light, which it doesn't have!

Reactions: Jonni3