Damn you birds

DaytonaS3

Reaction score
Hi
Well the inevitable has happened and some avian enemy has dropped his load on my week old bonnet. I was in work at the time and it's been hot so caked to it. I've got it off ok but it's marked the car and 'stained/burnt' the clear coat. Tried to take a photo and it's one of those irritating ones and something I and other people will spot. It's just on the edge of the tree reflection middle of photo

The work carpark is a real nightmare for it, but we're thankfully moving in three weeks to a multi storey where at least I'll get some protection.

I'm not going to attempt to do anything myself so do I have to go down the detailer route? Presumably it's recoverable pretty easily? I might leave it until we move in case they strike again and then I can get it sorted all at once.

Any costing ideas? Things to watch out for etc. I suspect I can't get the same spot repaired too often?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2713.JPG
    IMG_2713.JPG
    525.2 KB · Views: 270
Reactions: Audi Bairn
I decided to just leave my accident damage to my car alone - the scractches are so small and the dents not obvious I though why bother.

And if I get that RS3 grill via Larmel then it will be even less obvious - so I would say just try and forget about it.

I know we can baby our new cars too much - but it makes much more sense to get that kind of work done when you have several dents/scratches/bird attacks to make it more cost efficient.

It is hard to tell how deep the etching is even when seeing the car close up but I would assume that it is superficial after just one day. I would clean it thoroughly of wax and zap it for a few minutes under a hot hair dryer as the lightest option. That won't remove it 100% but it can make it close to invisible.

If that fails I would try to very gently polish it out. Megs ultimate compound with soft foam by hand and then if that fails its up to you how confident you are to wet sand it vs hand it over to a detailer. I have a couple that were there when I bought my car used and even after a couple of attempts wet sanding then polishing they are still there. They are completely smooth but still look hazy. I have an idea, over the winter, to give them a spritz of fade out spray but I have no idea if it will work. I hope yours come out easily.

Thanks very much guys. I'm a bit worried about doing it myself, with anything other than a good wash.

I found a local detailer who reckons it'll buff out for £25/£30 which I'll give a go to. If only I'd parked about two foot forward it would have hit the windscreen!!!!

Megs ultimate compound

Thanks very much guys. I'm a bit worried about doing it myself, with anything other than a good wash.

As above, Megs ultimate compound. http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/shampoo-polish-wax/meguiars-ultimate-compound-450ml

I tried everything on my car to remove the clear scab bird poo/stain/burn and nothing worked, then got some of the Megs on a soft microfibre cloth and it came out easily, it's clear coat safe so don't worry! I also used it a few weeks back on a mates van, he'd brushed the side of it on a bush and scratched it top to bottom the full length of his van...they all came out :)

I used it a few months back with my DA to remove all the winter damage:

BEFORE:
1-jpg.121972

AFTER:
2-jpg.121973

Just found this so you can see how easy it it to use, watch the first part with the scratch:

Reactions: DaytonaS3, SteveMcB and Audi Bairn

I found a local detailer who reckons it'll buff out for £25/£30 which I'll give a go to. If only I'd parked about two foot forward it would have hit the windscreen!!!!

If it's seagull poo it's got a high uric acid content. But the devious b******s aim for the paint and would've adjusted their trajectory even if you'd have parked further forward :sob:

Reactions: DaytonaS3 and Tom.H
I think that being so bothered about bird poo in this country is just pointless.

I wouldn't get it detailed. Like they said maybe buy some polish and use a cloth but honestly just leave it alone. You can't go get it detailed every time!

I had a bit of bird poo cake onto my bonnet, cleaned it off but it left a faint white mark on the clear coat. A couple passes with my DA and a drop of ultimate compound got rid of it instantly.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Reactions: KenL
I've got some minor clear coat damage on the roof and boot spoiler of my new car. I'm thinking of giving this stuff a go, don't have a DA though, is it still worth it using only elbow grease?

The work carpark is a real nightmare for it, but we're thankfully moving in three weeks to a multi storey where at least I'll get some protection.

Be careful of multi-story car parks. My car was parked in one for 2 weeks whilst I was on holiday and rain seeped through the cement/concrete and left a deposit on my paintwork rather like a limestone stalactite! It came off with careful polishing but don't think that the new car park will necessarily solve all your problems!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I've got some minor clear coat damage on the roof and boot spoiler of my new car. I'm thinking of giving this stuff a go, don't have a DA though, is it still worth it using only elbow grease?

Yes, it works by hand and you can give it a fair old whack before worrying about breaking through. That said, personally if the soft foam applicator doesn't work, I prefer to go straight to sandpaper than go to more aggressive applicators or the DA. You have to go with what feels right for you but my experience is that, for small areas, lubricated 3000 grit on a rubber sanding block is much easier to control, more predictable, than more aggressive liquid polishing techniques. I find you can flat the area down with so little pressure and I am convinced it will remove less clearcoat but ymmv and I know others feel quite differently.

Reactions: SteveMcB
Be careful of multi-story car parks. My car was parked in one for 2 weeks whilst I was on holiday and rain seeped through the cement/concrete and left a deposit on my paintwork rather like a limestone stalactite! It came off with careful polishing but don't think that the new car park will necessarily solve all your problems!

Good point. I always look up at the ceiling for tell tale marks. Many concrete multi-storeys drip limestone.

Yes, it works by hand and you can give it a fair old whack before worrying about breaking through. That said, personally if the soft foam applicator doesn't work, I prefer to go straight to sandpaper than go to more aggressive applicators or the DA. You have to go with what feels right for you but my experience is that, for small areas, lubricated 3000 grit on a rubber sanding block is much easier to control, more predictable, than more aggressive liquid polishing techniques. I find you can flat the area down with so little pressure and I am convinced it will remove less clearcoat but ymmv and I know others feel quite differently.

Thanks for that, I don't have the confidence to use sandpaper so I'll try it with the foam pad and then decide if it needs professional attention.

Good shout.
You've reminded me of the time my wifes car a few years ago was parked in a mutli storey in Glasgow, only for the day, and ended up with an etched windscreen with exactly the same deposits you refer to. It cleaned to a degree but was never 100% tbh.

Hi
Well the inevitable has happened and some avian enemy has dropped his load on my week old bonnet. I was in work at the time and it's been hot so caked to it. I've got it off ok but it's marked the car and 'stained/burnt' the clear coat. Tried to take a photo and it's one of those irritating ones and something I and other people will spot. It's just on the edge of the tree reflection middle of photo

I'm not going to attempt to do anything myself so do I have to go down the detailer route? Presumably it's recoverable pretty easily? I might leave it until we move in case they strike again and then I can get it sorted all at once.

Any costing ideas? Things to watch out for etc. I suspect I can't get the same spot repaired too often?

Cheers
Easily rectified by a professional detail and a ceramic coat, should only cost around £450 and be bird poo proof for years if washed correctly...

As above, Megs ultimate compound. http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/shampoo-polish-wax/meguiars-ultimate-compound-450ml

I tried everything on my car to remove the clear scab bird poo/stain/burn and nothing worked, then got some of the Megs on a soft microfibre cloth and it came out easily, it's clear coat safe so don't worry! I also used it a few weeks back on a mates van, he'd brushed the side of it on a bush and scratched it top to bottom the full length of his van...they all came out :)

I used it a few months back with my DA to remove all the winter damage

Thanks for the link, also got polish, wax, claybar kit and applicators, curse these 3 for 2 deals!!!! ended up spending over 60 bucks. Now just need the weather and motivation to give it a go!!

Reactions: S32B