Facelift FL RS3 has new brakes... again?

I now have my 5th set of front discs and pads in 12K miles. First three sets were wavy (all warped in <2500 mile), then I had the plain round discs fitted which lasted significantly longer but still warped (~4500 miles) and I now have FL discs. I can live with the squealing, I just hope these don't warp too as I had a right battle getting these fitted under warranty! They tried to charge me for the pads but gave in eventually!

How badly are they when they are warped? I don’t drive my car hard regularly and I get a vibration through the car when braking firmly from 80mph plus, on private roads. Normal speeds, nothing and no warping evident when coming to a near stop which is when I normally notice it on cars. My girlfriends Corsa’s steering wheel moves when you brake firmly they are that bad haha.

How badly are they when they are warped? I don’t drive my car hard regularly and I get a vibration through the car when braking firmly from 80mph plus, on private roads. Normal speeds, nothing and no warping evident when coming to a near stop which is when I normally notice it on cars. My girlfriends Corsa’s steering wheel moves when you brake firmly they are that bad haha.

You shouldn't have any vibration at all really mate - so would suggest you get these checked by your Dealer.

I also doubt it is warping as the new discs are greatly uprated from the 'wavy' discs fitted to the pre-FL cars.
I had wavy discs which did warp.
The Dealer then fitted new circular optimised discs which were noticeably thicker - so can withstand higher temperatures.
They have been fine since (squeal aside lol).

But yes I had some vibration which was warping and not a nice sensation or something you should have to tolerate on a brand new car, never mind a performance car like the RS3.

Yeah I just don’t get it ?
The Clarkson comment on The Grand Tour really throws it out there to the masses so if Audi don’t address it after that then there is no hope.

They must have a deal on pads with a really $hi7 supplier that they can’t get out of is all I can think of.

Annoys me when I drive the wife’s TT and those brakes are perfect and it’s only an S Line.

12th July 2013 and an Audi VIP invitation to the Goodwood Festival of Speed from the then MD of Audi UK, Martin Sander, and so had the opportunity to raise the issue of brake squeal on my own Audi RS3 and the then recent Sunday Times article from Mr. Clarkson complaining of low speed brake squeal on the then new Audi RS4.

And Mr. Sander's thoughts on Clarkson's article, "that's Clarkson just being Clarkson."

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I get a vibration through the car when braking firmly from 80mph plus, on private roads. .
This is what people refer to as 'warping'. It is brake pad compound building up on the disc and only gets worse. It is a new one on me if it only happens on private roads though. I would not think the brakes can differentiate private and public.

Reactions: 45bvtc and Snake Pliskin
You shouldn't have any vibration at all really mate - so would suggest you get these checked by your Dealer.

I also doubt it is warping as the new discs are greatly uprated from the 'wavy' discs fitted to the pre-FL cars.
I had wavy discs which did warp.
The Dealer then fitted new circular optimised discs which were noticeably thicker - so can withstand higher temperatures.
They have been fine since (squeal aside lol).

But yes I had some vibration which was warping and not a nice sensation or something you should have to tolerate on a brand new car, never mind a performance car like the RS3.

It’s only ever so slight, I’m being picky.

I know my dealer would say I’m driving it outside of normal operational parameters with the speed so wouldn’t do anything. God I need a friendly service department.

This is what people refer to as 'warping'. It is brake pad compound building up on the disc and only gets worse. It is a new one on me if it only happens on private roads though. I would not think the brakes can differentiate private and public.

You know us and our private roads ;) I’ve been scared off posting on here, you’d be amazed who is watching.

It’s only ever so slight, I’m being picky.

I know my dealer would say I’m driving it outside of normal operational parameters with the speed so wouldn’t do anything. God I need a friendly service department.

Let me have your car for 30-minutes, Matthew, you can use the left-hand seat, and I'll make sure you drive home without brake disc/vibration issues.

For me, as Hal quite rightly suggests (#247), "what people refer to as 'warping' is brake pad compound building up on the disc." I find this particularly so on the inside-face of the RS3 front disc. In my experience this is due mainly to not braking hard enough. I know I don't, especially with passengers and/or other cars close behind.

Back in 2014 the first words out of the mouth of an Audi professional rally/circuit driver/instructor at a Silverstone Audi Experience Day were "you people just don't brake hard enough!" And in my own view/driving style he was right! And there, for me, are ALL of the Audi RS3/TTRS "UK" brake issues.

As Snake Piliskin says, he has no issue with his wife's S-line TT! And neither do I with our S-line TT and/or our twin-charged A1. But the RS3 is/was a problem.

I had intense low-speed brake squeal in 2012 at 1250 miles on my RS3 and, with no thanks to my local Audi dealership, identified the cause and resolved it quickly - it's all here on ASN if you care to go back far enough.

12-months later, after lots of 'positive' hammering at Audi UK, a FREE 47i6 upgrade - new discs and calipers and directional pads and vibration absorbers, tsk!!! But, 1250 miles later the dreaded low-speed brake-squeal issue returned. So was that my own 'local' driving style? I concluded yes, as it was through a similar if not the same weather conditions. Again, with no thanks to my local Audi dealership or Audi UK, I quickly resolved the issue myself. I did get a couple of FREE RS3 services mind and other treats.

OK, I now use (having done the maths) EBC Redstuff front and rear (again, the history is all here on ASN), but I still need to regularly perform my own 'heavy' braking procedure when appropriate. I respectfully suggest you do the same.

Or, if only to repeat my kindest of offers, bring your car to me and allow me to give it due diligence, if you know what I mean... :racer:

Reactions: Ozmosis
Let me have your car for 30-minutes, Matthew, you can use the left-hand seat, and I'll make sure you drive home without brake disc/vibration issues.

For me, as Hal quite rightly suggests (#247), "what people refer to as 'warping' is brake pad compound building up on the disc." I find this particularly so on the inside-face of the RS3 front disc. In my experience this is due mainly to not braking hard enough. I know I don't, especially with passengers and/or other cars close behind.

Back in 2014 the first words out of the mouth of an Audi professional rally/circuit driver/instructor at a Silverstone Audi Experience Day were "you people just don't brake hard enough!" And in my own view/driving style he was right! And there, for me, are ALL of the Audi RS3/TTRS "UK" brake issues.

As Snake Piliskin says, he has no issue with his wife's S-line TT! And neither do I with our S-line TT and/or our twin-charged A1. But the RS3 is/was a problem.

I had intense low-speed brake squeal in 2012 at 1250 miles on my RS3 and, with no thanks to my local Audi dealership, identified the cause and resolved it quickly - it's all here on ASN if you care to go back far enough.

12-months later, after lots of 'positive' hammering at Audi UK, a FREE 47i6 upgrade - new discs and calipers and directional pads and vibration absorbers, tsk!!! But, 1250 miles later the dreaded low-speed brake-squeal issue returned. So was that my own 'local' driving style? I concluded yes, as it was through a similar if not the same weather conditions. Again, with no thanks to my local Audi dealership or Audi UK, I quickly resolved the issue myself. I did get a couple of FREE RS3 services mind and other treats.

OK, I now use (having done the maths) EBC Redstuff front and rear (again, the history is all here on ASN), but I still need to regularly perform my own 'heavy' braking procedure when appropriate. I respectfully suggest you do the same.

Or, if only to repeat my kindest of offers, bring your car to me and allow me to give it due diligence, if you know what I mean... :racer:

I shall have a good in-depth search tonight to try and find your old posts. Is it all in a thread of yours?

See, I try and go light on the brakes where possible thinking the heat will cause warping.... f*cking cars.

I don’t have the energy to argue with Audi anymore. Too much back and forth with my S3, ruins the look on the car with heartache. I don’t want to go down that road again, my car will spend as little time in Audi’s hands as possible. It’s annoying, my local tuner would do a job ten times better on any regular servicing than Audi would.. but it’s that valuable stamp which can’t be lost.

Reactions: T-800 and 45bvtc

It's funny to read this as I have not suffered with brake squeal on mine.

However, my Mrs drives the Scirocco and usually when I get home from work (I work offshore 4 on 4 off), she tells me the brakes are a bit squeaky. As you say, John, 30-40 minute drive down a nice quiet bit of road and a couple of heavy stops and cured. Until the next time hahahah!

All this talk of Audi in the UK telling people they are using the brakes "outside normal parameters" is poppycock... They are designed in Germany to be driven on Autobahns. Does no one need to brake there? Think not...!

Reactions: KKOG, T-800, Hal Adams and 1 other person
All this talk of Audi in the UK telling people they are using the brakes "outside normal parameters" is poppycock... They are designed in Germany to be driven on Autobahns. Does no one need to brake there? Think not...!

I just know how people are at dealers I seem to come across, find any excuse to say it’s normal.

Telling me a light cluster full of water is normal, tries to find another car like it in the car park because “they are all like it”.. couldn’t find one and still refused to admit it was a problem.

Reactions: T-800
Haven't had a single squeak from mine since week 1. Drive it like you stole it seems to be the answer.

I just know how people are at dealers I seem to come across, find any excuse to say it’s normal.

Telling me a light cluster full of water is normal, tries to find another car like it in the car park because “they are all like it”.. couldn’t find one and still refused to admit it was a problem.

As you say Matt, most trips to the dealers seem to end in dismay, more so because of the 'silly' explanations offered up, or the toeing of the official Audi line, which is pretty much not being allowed to think outside the 'box' so to speak.:stupid:

Reactions: AudiNutta
This all stacks up with the brake pad deposit explanation. On my 5th set of 'Gratis' discs and the warping comes and goes which would be an nigh on impossible if it was actual Warping. Never known warped discs to fix themselves.

However, It shouldn't be up to us owners to come up with the solution. The ineptitude of the dealerships is really astonishing!

Just been in for tracking, after a full day, when I went to collect it:
"We can't do it because your car is lowered and we dont have the correct settings".

I said the only parameter you can adjust on the front geometry is Toe, and that spec doesn't change regardless of ride height. The Camber and Castor are not adjustable so insignificant.

"We cant do it as, we dont have the settings" - Absolute MORONS!!! :stupid:

Have somebody please the part numbers doe the vented backplates tot the facelift 2018 RS3