S3 Tracker

ollie2013uk

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Bit the bullet and had ordered a Trackstar TM470 more for piece of mind than anything else. Has anyone else gone done the tracker route?

I have a tracker locate.
I think trackers do divide opinion tbh, but I work hard for my car and if it did get stolen, I would definitely want it back. Mainly because it took me a long time to find one with the spec it has and also I don't see why some scroat should profit from taking what doesn't belong to them.

Reactions: computeratelier
Not collected my car yet, collect it 2nd of September at 9AM(I have to work on the 1st), Got it booked in at 12:00 for a Cobra tracker to be fitted, considering booking it in for a Res Delete at 11AM on my way to the tracker garage :)

Bought an eBay tracker and reprogrammed it to send data to my own server where it gets parsed and transmitted on demand to my phone / computer.

Since it is completely custom I can write all kinds of rules for it (speed limit, giong offroad, moving when car should be stationary, leaving certain area, etc) and get notifications. Cost me only about 15 USD or so for the tracker and a few hours of coding, pretty happy with it.

How much do they cost ? My S3 is due on 1st Sept. and I'm thinking of getting a tracker fitted . But have no idea of how much they cost

How much do they cost ? My S3 is due on 1st Sept. and I'm thinking of getting a tracker fitted . But have no idea of how much they cost

I paid £1045 for my Vodafone CobraTrak 5 in the S3. Then it's a £215 a year subscription. On reflection, I think next time for the RS I might pay the same money and get a better alarm system overall... not sure how that stands up with warranty though.

I paid £1045 for my Vodafone CobraTrak 5 in the S3. Then it's a £215 a year subscription. On reflection, I think next time for the RS I might pay the same money and get a better alarm system overall... not sure how that stands up with warranty though.
Thanks for the info. That's more than I was expecting . I'm pushing it money wise just to able to buy the car. Will def get Gap insurance and hope for the best !

Thanks for the info. That's more than I was expecting . I'm pushing it money wise just to able to buy the car. Will def get Gap insurance and hope for the best !

Yep it really isn't cheap, tracker has such mixed reviews because there is no guarantee you can have it back and it's whether you want it back after it's had the living daylights driven out of it to get away (chances are). I don't know about you but my car that doesn't go over 3000rpm till the oil is at 80 degrees, I'd struggle to get over it so sometimes question why I had a tracker.

The Cobra 5 is a good thing because they notify you when it's gone, other trackers and alarm systems require you to notice it's gone and then you can subsequently track it. I've spoken to Vodafone and they are good. They said in the event it's taken, they won't tell me where it is because they don't want us risking our safety going after it. But they will liaise with the Police force local to it and direct them to the car, so I am never in any danger. All works by whether the additional identification fob is active in the car at the time or not. Also if they notice that the car starts driving off without it (you've been thrown out on your ear), they call to check all is ok. My car normally has to move about a mile before it flags up. You get a text much earlier than that, then a call within 2 minutes from an operator.

I am in the "whats the point" camp when it comes to trackers especially at that price. Over 4 years of ownership that's an outlay of £2k to possibly increase the chance of getting back a stolen car that's been totally shagged. IMHO do whatever you feel is enough to reduce the risk of it being taken in the first place (Home alarm, good locks at home, CCTV, dashcam) Then if you have GAP (£150- 200 over the same period) if its gone its gone and go buy a new one.

£1750 saved is the same as a pretty decent weeks holiday, or an extra weekend away every year, for you and your Mrs/partner /other half...no brainer for me

Reactions: Djs3saloon
Understand both sides to this.
For me if a tracker returned my car then the thieves will likely see it again at my house and perhaps try harder next time - if somebody takes my car the last thing I want to see is it sitting on my drive again (caveated by the car being a mass produced german hatchback). If my current car was taken I would be hesitant about buying another of the same brand/model as it obviously attracted a thief before.
Trackers were originally designed for the insurance industry to reduce their potential liability, not to help the punter get their machine back but obviously a nice consequence and ironically it is the punter who has to pay for it all!

p.s. loads of people will have already 'driven' your car from the testers at the factory, boat, train, dealer etc so wouldn't worry so much about that.........just think of them warming the oil up a bit quicker than you would (like the thousands of hire cars littered around the UK) :)

I'm getting a Cobra tracker fitted on the 2/9/17 the day I collect my S3. I cant tell you what deal I'm getting because it's through a friend but he retails them at £850inc, fitted, with a lifetime subscription. or £600ish with a years subscription.

For me it's worth having because I've lost my NCB and insurance is already so expensive for me. If I had to make a theft claim then I would really struggle to pay the insurance, or at least it would not be worth paying the price for it.

It's a discrete colour, 3 door, and a hidden away driveway. But the peace of mind is there.

I'm getting a Cobra tracker fitted on the 2/9/17 the day I collect my S3. I cant tell you what deal I'm getting because it's through a friend but he retails them at £850inc, fitted, with a lifetime subscription. or £600ish with a years subscription.

For me it's worth having because I've lost my NCB and insurance is already so expensive for me. If I had to make a theft claim then I would really struggle to pay the insurance, or at least it would not be worth paying the price for it.

It's a discrete colour, 3 door, and a hidden away driveway. But the peace of mind is there.

That's probably the cheaper one, or is it the CobraTrak 5 too?

I am in the "whats the point" camp when it comes to trackers especially at that price. Over 4 years of ownership that's an outlay of £2k to possibly increase the chance of getting back a stolen car that's been totally shagged. IMHO do whatever you feel is enough to reduce the risk of it being taken in the first place (Home alarm, good locks at home, CCTV, dashcam) Then if you have GAP (£150- 200 over the same period) if its gone its gone and go buy a new one.

£1750 saved is the same as a pretty decent weeks holiday, or an extra weekend away every year, for you and your Mrs/partner /other half...no brainer for me

That is a fair point and on reflection the S3, didn't need it. But the RS3, if that got stolen in a year I wouldn't be able to replace it.. that's the problem. If it goes then you will never find another, not the same anyway whereas the S3 could just be ordered again new.

Reactions: Daveotto