Fog lights and sat nav

Lawrence Ellul

Reaction score
Hi to all

I have 2 queries on the new A3 (2017 model)

1) Why is it that when i'm looking at the A3 S line model i can never find a car with a front fog light installed?

2) With respect to the satnav which is powered by google maps. Are the maps offline or online? If I want to update the maps how do you do it?

Lawrence

1) Why is it that when i'm looking at the A3 S line model i can never find a car with a front fog light installed?

They don't have separate fog lights any more, a facelift S Line will come with LED headlights as standard, which have an "all weather" function (essentially another segment of the headlight that illuminates with a short, wide, low throw.

2) With respect to the satnav which is powered by google maps. Are the maps offline or online? If I want to update the maps how do you do it?

The maps are offline, the google earth/maps overlay is online but cached when possible. Updating the maps is possible from the MMI menu itself, or via the myAudi login portal where you can download the update files and transfer them to SD card.

Reactions: Schizophonic, Audi Bairn and richinsoton
The all weather lights look horrible when they are switched on by the way. They are inside the headlight housing, just between xenon and turn signal (for cars with bi-xenons) and glow yellow.

And for LED headlights? would these still be yellow?

As Jassy says, with the LED's they're the same colour. With the tech pack advanced (not sure if it's the same non tech pack) it seems to be linked to the maps in that if I come up to a junction they'll come on in anticipation.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Thanks to all for your help. Now since the fog light is in the new headlight design is there a way how to spice up the area where normally the fog lights would be?

Reactions: Jassyo06
I much prefer it in the headlight cluster. Looks a lot neater.

Can't stand these idiots who drive around with their front fog lights on all the time, dazzling everyone else.

Reactions: alistairm1, h5djr and paradigital
Thanks to all for your help. Now since the fog light is in the new headlight design is there a way how to spice up the area where normally the fog lights would be?

Why would you assume a clear plastic box with a bulb in it is somehow "spicing up" the bottom of the bumper? I'd rather more airflow into the engine bay than superfluous tinsel that's been replaced with a more elegant in-built solution!

Can't stand these idiots who drive around with their front fog lights on all the time, dazzling everyone else.

Can deal with front fog idiots far easier than not so impressive matrix lights, in my experience Audi matrix lights are particularly bad at high speed coming towards you.

You'll get a replacement 5/6k colour temp cornering bulb from the likes of autobulbsdirect.co.uk or from hids4u.co.uk,they sell them in pairs....just type in make/model/year of your car on there site,but check your car manual it will tell you the designation/type of bulb that's used,your existing bulb has a colour tempreture of between 3300 kelvins to 3500 kelvins and xenon bulb in your car is around 5000k hence the vast difference in colour

Can deal with front fog idiots far easier than not so impressive matrix lights, in my experience Audi matrix lights are particularly bad at high speed coming towards you.

Never noticed it myself, so must work pretty well! Most of the time when I see headlight glare it's from badly adjusted xenons, don't ever remember seeing it from LED lights.