Sat Nav and traffic

rookuk

Reaction score
Website
www.victoriacourt.co.uk
How does the sat nav know that there is a traffic jam ahead. I have Audi SDsat nav only. Not Audi connect. Took me by surprise the other day and proptly ignored it to my cost.

It uses traffic alerts which are broadcast over FM radio using the Traffic Message Channel (TMC), this is a hidden data stream that isn't audible. The radio in the car decodes this information and feeds it to the Sat Nav. It's a basic system but if there are delays on major roads then it can work very well.

It uses traffic alerts which are broadcast over FM radio using the Traffic Message Channel (TMC), this is a hidden data stream that isn't audible. The radio in the car decodes this information and feeds it to the Sat Nav. It's a basic system but if there are delays on major roads then it can work very well.
They do have faults, the other weekend on the local radio traffic news stated the A47 was closed, this also showed on the traffic and map data on my Golf, was travelling to Kings Lynn and stayed on the A47, was going to turn off at the Road Closed ahead signs - None displayed on the road, continued to Kings Lynn and NO the road was not closed or Blocked in anyway?? Was still being told this on return journey 4 hours later.
Computer systems are only as good as the data input!!