Facelift Looong first trip with brand new car

Kalorina

Reaction score
Hi, I'm taking delivery of an A3 2.0 TFSI Sportback in 3-4 weeks to replace my 15 year old Toyota wreck.

The thing is, sometime during August, we're planning quite a long road trip to northern Norway (North Cape) from where we live in Stockholm, Sweden. Return, the trip is 2100 miles.

I guess the mileage of the car won't be more than 100-200 miles when we do go. Is this a bad idea with such a new car? I guess any looming issues won't have been discovered by us then.

Anything in particular I should think of other than bringing some extra oil?

Good way to run it in, oil and coolant is all I'd take. Oh and check tyre pressures before you go, mine were too high when I collected the car!

Over inflated and you wear the centre down, under inflated and you wear the outside edges down:

tyre_pressures_explained.jpg

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Kalorina
Vary the revs and gears as much as you can - avoid spending too long in one gear until you're run in.

Reactions: Kalorina
Audi told me that as long as it's up to oil and water temp, do what you like.

Mine went on a rolling road with ~30 miles on it.

Reactions: Kalorina, MattSedg, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Hi, I'm taking delivery of an A3 2.0 TFSI Sportback in 3-4 weeks to replace my 15 year old Toyota wreck.

The thing is, sometime during August, we're planning quite a long road trip to northern Norway (North Cape) from where we live in Stockholm, Sweden. Return, the trip is 2100 miles.

I guess the mileage of the car won't be more than 100-200 miles when we do go. Is this a bad idea with such a new car? I guess any looming issues won't have been discovered by us then.

Anything in particular I should think of other than bringing some extra oil?

Welcome!
That sounds like an amazing road trip. You should have some cool pics of the journey and new car.

Reactions: Kalorina
Vary the revs and gears as much as you can - avoid spending too long in one gear until you're run in.
The first long stretch is lots of motorway, but we're planning to use older and less travelled country roads for the first 500 km at least.

Good and solid advice, I bet it will be a nice trip :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I got my S3 mid july 2014, didn't much use it then did 900miles on european motorways pretty much non stop at the end of july.
For the first couple of hundred miles sat at 3k rpm then increased gradually over the rest of the trip, by the end was nudging the limited top speed. Now got 23k miles and never used a drop of oil and nowt gone wrong with it.
Just be sensible with it but it is a car and engines prefer to be used than sat still, get the oil up to temp and enjoy your trip.

Earlier this year I collected my new A3 on 2 March and then went on holiday to Germany on 5 March. The drive to Germany was 130 miles to the Channel Tunnel and then 350 miles to Germany. Spent a week driving around in Germany and then the same journey home. A great way to get used to the car, although being my 10th A3 I did know most about the car. No problems at all with the car.