Starting Issues

Shaun2017

Reaction score
Lately my car has been a pig to start from cold, so i got to diagnosing the issue. So far i have checked glow plugs were getting voltage which they werent so 60amp fuse swapped all good or so i thought, next i swap out the coolant temp sensor...still no luck. Then i decided to snap 4 glow plugs.....2 days of obsanitys later i have removed and replaced all 6 glow plugs. Still no luck so i put in a non return valve in the fuel line both sides of the fuel filter.
Im still none the wiser or better off. Even if i let the plugs warm over and over the car still struggles to start and when it does its blows smoke out the back end....excess fuel im thinking.

Can anyone point out that im missing something obvious, because this is driving me nuts.

The car is a 1999 A4 B5 2.5tdi V6

The fuel filter was swapped out about a month ago, the smoke is just slightly black, which to me says rich fuel mixture. But i could be wrong, i havent swapped out the fuel pump yet, i was thinking about adding a third valve in to see if that works as that would indicate a dodgy pump.