Eating tyres

jay1601

Reaction score
question for people with lowered cars,

Is it just mine or does your lowered car eat tyres ?

Mine on coilovers pretty low, from the front looks like has a fair amount of camber I'm doing a pair of front tyres in around 6K miles getting pretty expansive doing 3/4 pairs a year

If your was how did you correct it? Don't want to go back to standard ride hight but will have too if needs must.

Have you got pics of the wear on tyres? Is it even wear right across the tread or just on the edge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

had my old bus checked on Friday , front toe was out a small amount on offside but no real excessive wear, the front camber cant be adjusted with the oem top control arms either, depend on how low you are compared to standard settings.
I'm on H&R 45 drop and my camber is out compared to factory specs but no real noticible wear over the course of the last 12 months , maybe something else is happening with your front end.
the camber will be out and have a wear effect though the lower you go, the tread will wear down more towards the inside edge .

when I do my swap over to coilover next month I am changing the oem top arms to adjustable camber ones , that way I can enjoy the drop etc with the camber still being factory setting etc, they aren't cheap the top arms but compared to eating that many tyres you'll be saving a shed load and still get the drop you want..win , win situation.

Is yours FWD jay? I've always done a pretty good job of eating the driven tyres on every powerful car I've owned, 10k is doing well.

6k is hardcore though! Perhaps get a Hunter alignment to see exactly where your geometry is at?

Yeah it's FWD
The arch sits over the tyres all round, tempted to go lower springs go H&R what's the arch gap like on 18's ?

Attachments

• IMG_5364.JPG
    IMG_5364.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5363.JPG
    IMG_5363.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
That's lower than mine chap on the fronts, maybe get the alignment checked to see what's happening, then go from there.

Getting a geometry check done should be first on the list. Some people forget this important step when altering the ride height but you're changing the angle of the rack arms which will in turn throw out the toe which can finish off your tyres in no time. However if you are considering changing springs and maybe adding adjustable arms you may as well get these done first so it can all be set up at once.

f2e515b991d788dea68fccbb961a8369.jpg

Mine looks lower than yours and I get about 7k out of my Michelin Pilot Sport 3's. Wear is even across the tyre and the geometry is spot on. But I do take corners hard and I'm a spirited driver. I also get the oil changed every 5000 miles .

It's not the worst I've had. Once I got 2k from some b compound Yokohamas on a Cavalier GSI with Cavalier touring car suspension on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk