Bigger turbos on the 1.8 T.....

A3_Turbo

Swaying towards IHI....
Reaction score
Hi there i was just wondering you see it ofen on UKMKIVS with the golfs that people with the 1.8T Have upgraded the turbo on it Etc.

You dont see it much on here maybe more commonly with S3 eg (chris S3) etc But what about the A3 (Rich A3 turbo) is an exception but i dont see it that often.

Im asking because im trying to weigh up the costs of getting something like that done, Seeing if its worth doing the IHI is out of the question at 5-6 K.
But what do the other conversions cost? Are they really worth doing?

Or is it just better to get a remap and leave it?

Thanks

Jason

Skies the limit TBH. Do you have a budget? Obviously you do as £5/6k is too much...

What power are you aiming for?

Will a garage have to do all the work, or are you able to do some yourself?

Options are:

K03s ~ 230bhp
Hybrid K03/4 ~ 260bhp
K04 ~ 270bhp
Hybrid K04 ~ 280bhp
GT2X (or whatever it's called) ~ 300bhp
IHI ~ 320bhp

Hmmm yeah well 5-6K Is way too much thats what i payed for the car!

Ideally 2-3 k but would have do be done by a garage AMD i guess or similar?

what sort of options would that give me?

Jason

I posted this a while ago in another thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=31735 :whistle2:

Tallpaul said:
and to see a genuine 230bhp from a K03s you're gonna need a FMIC too.

Rough Costs:

2nd Hand K03s £250
Fitting Kit £50
Forge TIP £120
4bar FPR £30
N75(F i think) £40
FMIC £250 - 750 (depending on the quality of core you choose)
Labour to fit above 4 - 5 hours @ £45/hour (not inc fitting the FMIC, that's a DIY or it'll cost another few hours labour).
High Flow DP and Race CAT £400
Remap £500

Total: about £2000 for a genuine 230bhp/250lb_ft

But, IMO the stock brakes and suspension will be dangerous at that power so budget another £750 to sort them. None of this is worth it if you've scrimped on tyres but i'd hope nobody is that tight ;)

I think you could do it cheaper than £2k if you were smart and could do some work yourself.

Someone on SeatCupra.net recently had a hybrid K03/4 fitted to a 1.8T ibiza for your sort of budget: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=102032&highlight=am04

Someone else managed to go K04 that money, but i think he was able to fabricate some parts himself and he did a lot of the work himself too.

If you want to just hand your car to AMD and have it back without lifting a finger then i don't think £2-3k will get you very far, if you can source parts cheap and do some of the work yourself then £3k will possibly get you all the way to 270bhp. Like i said before though, power is nothing without control, so you'll need the brakes and suspension (which you may already have?).

Oh and one last thing... Past K03s power you'll really need a new clutch... A G60 one should be OK for 300lb/ft and would probably be £500 - 600 fitted...

Thanks for getting back to me mate,

Just trying to weigh things up Stage 2 Remap with FMIC maybe i dont know?

At the moment just got a full miltek on it, going for the H&R Sport suspension kit this month, and will be going for the Brembo GT kit for the brakes.

Just trying to work out if its really worth it, ive spent alot on my 1.8 t servicing, clutch etc so dont wantto get rid of it just yet.

The K03 S does that have noticablly more grunt? or is it not that noticable?

Jason

Jason_letts said:
Thanks for getting back to me mate,

Just trying to weigh things up Stage 2 Remap with FMIC maybe i dont know?

At the moment just got a full miltek on it, going for the H&R Sport suspension kit this month, and will be going for the Brembo GT kit for the brakes.

Just trying to work out if its really worth it, ive spent alot on my 1.8 t servicing, clutch etc so dont wantto get rid of it just yet.

The K03 S does that have noticablly more grunt? or is it not that noticable?

Jason

Is your car an AGU (throttle cable engine)? Who did your Stage 1 mapping?

FMIC is definately a good thing to get.

Brembo GT kit is a lot of braking, more than you need IMO. GT kit is like £1k??

Stage 1 your car is proably 190bhp? K03s with exhaust and FMIC will be 230bhp, you'll defo feel another 40bhp ;)

I thought the GT kit was around £700? the same kit as on the LCR?

I havnt got round to doing the remap yet had to pay out for other things which were more important.

So basically anything bigger than KO03 S/ K04 is goign to be big £££?

Jason

if your after the brembo GT kits off the LCR, look no further than ebay.

some guy not long back was selling the kit (taken off an LCR) for around £150, shouldnt set u back anymore than £300 all in fitted.

as for the turbo upgrade, if your planning to spend like £2-3k, maybe its worth considering ditching the 1.8T and investing it into an S3 remapped?

Your looking at 260bhp+ then and the car is already "modified" in some ways as standard to suit.

just my 2p

Cheers for that id love to get an S3 but its just insurance if i was to get an S3 id be paying 3K again im thinking!

Im only 17 at the moment... 18 in 3 weeks.

Jason

Jason_letts said:
Cheers for that id love to get an S3 but its just insurance if i was to get an S3 id be paying 3K again im thinking!

Im only 17 at the moment... 18 in 3 weeks.

Jason

What's your insurance on a modified A3 1.8T?

Have you tried a quote on an S3? If you're getting a 'sensible' premium for yours i can't imagine a stock S3 would be more to insure.

Here we go, i got a quote just for an S3 225bhp:

Im 21 and ive got 0 no claims, driving 4 years.

Direct Line insurance - Audi A3 1.8T Sport £1254 fully comp
Direct Line insurance - Audi S3 225 £1258 fully comp

why oh why didnt i just buy an S3!

I really am stuck here guys I just don’t know what to do! I know I’m young and that but it’s me paying for it so that’s not an issue.

Ideally yes id like an S3 id be happy with it as it is for a while me thinks, were talking 9k for an S3 on the trader from a dealer.

I don’t know what mine would be worth to trade in 4.5k if I’m lucky Full Audi Service History. Last service done by Quattronics including cam-belt etc though.

The S3 is the more capable car with traction etc. But ive spent a lot of money on my 1.8T clutch servicing full miltek etc which is why I thought about the bigger turbo route.

So I really am stuck now I definitely want some more speed be nice to go up to the Gti Inters this year with something with power.

So im back to this again Mod my 1.8 T or PX it for an S3……

Decisions Decisions

Jason

What year is your 1.8T?

How many of the stock parts do you still have?

How much of your car/mods are bought with loans?

If it was practical for me to swap to an S3, i wouldn't think twice TBH.

BUT, you are only 17/18. When i was your age i had Citroen AX GT :)

Personnaly i think you should be made to drive a 1.1 Metro or something ;)

Well stock parts i can say nothing left, Ive got 4 Somethign left on my car thats the only loan i have on it, i was just going to upgrade the finance for an S3 and concentrate paying that off.

Get a pay rise when i turn 18 so shouldnt be a problem.

I just dont know what to do i would love to mod the 1.8T and see 230 bhp from it but i may as well have get the S3!

i tried gettin my mums advice but you know women!

So please help!

Jason! :laugh:

EDIT: My 1.8 T is a 98 on an S Plate

Erm;

17 i had a Mk2 fiesta 948cc - bag of **** :D
18 i had a peugeot 206 1.4LX - bag of **** :D
19 focus 1.6 16v - bag of **** :D
21 a3 t sport - satsified but wishing id bought an S3 now :(

ok mate let me put this into perspective.

2001 plate S3's are fetching still near 10k

2001 plate A3s are fetching around 4.5k

In 5 years time the S3 is gonna keep it value a lot better than the A3 will purely because of its stance and desirability.

Performance? S3 is second to none for drivability and stability ( all thes 'ilitys are making me nautious haha).

For the sake of going an extra 5k on your finance? thats a decision only you can make, im in the same boat thinking the same things, but the way i look at it is, i could spend the next 3 years paying off 4k and end up with a 2k car, or spend the next 3 years paying off 9k and end up with a 6k car?

ok.

first of all which S3 are you planning to go for? the 210 or 225bhp?

Whichever it may be go and test drive one, standard preferably.

If you like it more than ur A3, GET ONE! you only live once and what else would u do with ur money? most people **** it up the wall, better to get something that u enjoy with it!

Jason: Hi Mr Audi Salesman, i'd like to test drive an S3.

Salesman: Certainly Sir, can i see some proof that you are over 25?

Jason: Actually, i'm 17...:jester:

Independant garage might be OK, but both Honda (with the Type R) and Audi (TT225) wanted me to be over 25 for a test drive...

lol really?

i test drove a 225 TT at Audi Streetly when i was 18 :D with a damn sexy receptionist in the passenger seat (only person available at the time <<) :D

its worth noting that the 210 is group 17 and the 225 is group 18 might play a big part with the insurance company, im pretty sure it effect mine, but then i couldnt justify spending another 2k to get a 225 when theres not much between the 2 and ****** all after a remap. i was looking at 1.8t at first then decided that it would be worth spending another year paying for an S3 so glad i've got one.

Thanks for all the replies lads id probably go with the 210 verison (if i do get one) and paul is right audi would laugh at me!

Jason

Tallpaul said:
Jason: Hi Mr Audi Salesman, i'd like to test drive an S3.

Salesman: Certainly Sir, can i see some proof that you are over 25?

Jason: Actually, i'm 17...:jester:

Independant garage might be OK, but both Honda (with the Type R) and Audi (TT225) wanted me to be over 25 for a test drive...

I test drove a S3 at the weekend and im only 21.
Really wished i hadnt though because i crave one so much now:crying:
Insurance aint so bad either but rather save some money up so i dont put myself massively in debt.
And the other facter is they only offered me £2000 for my car part-ex.:aggressive:

Jason_letts said:
Thanks for all the replies lads id probably go with the 210 verison (if i do get one) and paul is right audi would laugh at me!

Jason

Ignore me, i'm just bitter that a teenager has a nicer car than me :)

I must admit Jason, that the 5-6k it'd cost for an IHI conversion, especially with the value of your car seems ridiculous. But after having a go in RichA3Turbo's IHI A3, I've got to say it's worth every penny! OK, there's like a milli second more lag than my S3 on spoolup, and you can't get the traction if the road isn't bone dry, but once the power comes in.... :racer:.... byebye

Yeah i can imagine the IHI'D A3 of Rich's must be mental but its just empty money surely?

Unless when it comes to sell up time you sell it to some-one on here for example othersie you'd never see anything back from it.

On the other hand 320 bhp in an A3 is just mad!

Still back to square 1 though, Mod the A3 or get an S3 hmm....

Some people are saying keep the A3 as its been good to spent a fair bit on it servicing the £800 Miltek etc So i just dont know!

Arghhh! Descions Descions!

Jason

What do you guys think of AMD'S stage 4 on there site?

in my price region but only saying a 80bhp increase?

Jason

Jason_letts said:
What do you guys think of AMD'S stage 4 on there site?

in my price region but only saying a 80bhp increase?

Jason

i'd want to know what turbo it was, +80bhp only sounds like a K03s to me..

Certainly doesn't mention the need for bigger injectors, TIP, MAF etc so it must be K03x based.

You already have the exhaust so that should be £700 off the price.

I'd speak to Jabba about the cost of their K03s conversions. IMO you'll need a FMIC too...

Jason_letts said:
Yeah i can imagine the IHI'D A3 of Rich's must be mental but its just empty money surely?

Any mods you do will not give you a return. The more you mod the more you lose regardless of the car it goes on. I've spent more then the car's worth on mods, but it's probably made my car worth less than a standard model of the same year/miles. A lot harder to sell anyway. Modding should be a personal choice to get what you want out of your car.

Jason_letts said:
Some people are saying keep the A3 as its been good to spent a fair bit on it servicing the £800 Miltek etc So i just dont know!

You've spent a fair bit servicing your Miltek?

Ooops sorry chris didnt type that right ive spent a fair bit on it already meaning,

The miltek
Cambelt service
Clutch
window prob that cost me 500 to fix ****** stealers!

As i said 5-6 is a bit much for me but around 3 i could deal with.

Suppose it would be nice having a moded A3 with some power behind it you dont see many about which are modded.

Once again thanks for your input guys!

Jason

Have you budgeted for brakes and suspension? Worth looking at if you're car's going to be more powerful. Infact, that's where I'd start. Then a remap, then ask yourself if you really think a BT conversion is necessary.

Yes extras will be the Brembo GT kit and suspension is being done end of Jan.

Miltek was 7 something fitted at AMD i think needed a Cat as mine didnt have one was that over priced then?

Chris im jsut trying to price things up thats all if i get the brakes remap etc then decide to get an S3 thats wasted money really?

Im thinking it will be more fun modding what i have though :hubbahubba:

Jason

Based on my experience, If you are thinking modifying your car now, you'll probably end modifying a S3 also, here in my country cars are much more expensive than in most parts of the world, first i had a toyota Yaris(90 bhp) and start modifying it, the i said, ok i want to reach like 140 bhp so i'll change to a toyota Corolla, then i start modifying in, then i said, it would be nice to reach around 215 bhp, then i'm getting my A3 delivered tomorrow, and will start modifying it ASAP, and probably in a couple of years i'll change to a more powerfull model, and so, you'll be always looking for mods to improve the performance no matter what car you are in

Im really swaying towards modding what i have at the moment.

Even if i find a decent S3 for 9k im thinking dealers would give me 3k for mine?

Thats an extra 6K For an S3... But just imagine what sort of animal mine could be turned into with 6k!

I'll have to start calling around, Jabba AMD etc.

J!

Right just thought id let you guys know the A3 is staying now i had a look at a Black S3 60k on the clock was lovely but couldnt justify losing 3 grand on mine when ive only had it 6 months.

So i'll be spending a bit of cash on the A3 Shocks are being done end of month Going for a H&R Kit didnt see the need for coilovers, Then the Brembo GT brake kit.

And im still undecided on what sort of power i want from it, Will most likely go the Garatt turbo route.

Will keep every-one updated with pics etc as soon as.

Cheers

Jason