Brakes

bouncer117

Reaction score
Sorry for another post about brakes, I just keep confusing myself with the amount of choice there is.

Question is, what are good brake upgrade options for the front and rear?

2.8q on 18s

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Ive done the 312mm conversion on the front and fitted the FL S4 rear brakes which are 256mm vented rather than 245mm solid.
My car stops pretty well and its like night and day to the way it was before.

^^ thats the simplest conversion you can do without changing the front uprights for the B6/S4 type.

Reactions: Andyb5tdi
well that opens things up a bit.

Cheap option is the 320mm B7/Allroad type ATE caliper, they're usually on ebay for 40-50 and it takes the 320mm S4 disk.

You can go larger, but cost goes up and other than bling theres probably little point.

I'm currently looking into Q5 calipers as an alternative option, but again rare and a bit expensive.

Facelift S4 calipers are the usual option. either with the stock 256 disk or with an adaptor bracket and a 300mm disk

You can also look at b7 S4 calipers or even B7 A4 calipers and disks.

The B7's with the bigger engines run a 280x12 rear disk for instance and unlike the S4 bits should be fairly cheap.

Well the S4 ran 320 fronts with the 256 rears, so you'll shift the balance a little more rearwards than that. I suspect it wont cause huge upset though.

You could do the math i guess. Brake torque rises proportionally with the radius. The middle of the pad moves from about 103mm to 110mm which means around 6-7% more rear brake torque with the same pedal pressure.

However stock bias is something like 70:30, and if you add the 7% to the rear it ends up at something like 68:32. Not a massive difference certainly.

I'm running brembo 18z 6pots on the front with the 345mm disc, will be fitting the matching 4 pot rears with separate handbrake caliper with 300mm discs next week once I have the mounting brackets made up,

My car came with the b5 RS4 front brakes with Ebc yellow stuff pads which I found completely useless, I don't rate ebc brakes anyway, the 18z stops the car well but isnt that well balanced due to still having the stock pfl S4 rears on for now, all in including the 6 calipers/discs/pads/lines etc it's cost me around £600, the mounting brackets I'm having my machinist buddy make for me and I sold the RS4 brakes for £200 so really only cost me £400, worth every penny and they look as good as they work

Ish.

You need a spacer between the hub and carrier (circa 10mm i dont know exactly), longer bolts, and the handbrake cable fitting needs a tweak.

Probably a different brake hose as well.

Would i need to make the spacer or can i buy 1 from somewhere?

Is the cover plate behind the disc required or will it be ok without 1?

All i have ever found they do is trap stones against the disc

They do help a little in shielding the disk from water. They also protect the components behind from the heat of the brakes.