Measuring strut diameter

Kieranrees1995

Reaction score
Probably been covered a million times but I cannot find a definitive answer on what size strut my car has.
It's a 1.4 tfsi s line, and it states on forums and and the internet that it has 50mm struts, but when I measured it with a digital Vernier it measured 55.12mm.
Did I measure the correct bit or is it 55mm ?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

what you mean? strut is part of suspension that got shock absorber (or on rear strut) and spring, if you mean whole length of it, surely will be around 1m, if you mean some bolt attaching to it or upper threaded part? anyway if you got original one, you need to got the part number and just google that PN and you will find the good one.

Yes I know it's part of the suspension, I'm looking for a set of coilovers and to be able to order the correct set I need to know the diameter of the strut. As said above there are 2 diameters a 50mm and 55mm

I understand what you mean - the application guide options for the front shocks on many A3s gives an option of either 50mm or 55mm diameter. I've had the same problem when looking at a Bilstein B4 replacement set. I'd also be interested where the measurement is taken. I've assumed it must be around the main body of the shock absorber?

I took the measurement underneath the spring and it said 55.12,
But like i said a number have stated that it has the 50mm struts

Rang Audi and they were no help at all
Could only give me the part number

Was some member here that you can ask about it, he will check it up for you. Ask sandra or check on sticky on top, should be thread on faq or part list (or something like that). However the PN is good start.

Hi mate
I know that all S Line cars come with 55mm struts, but that is in the 2.0tdi 2.0tfsi and S3 ranges, cant say why it wouldn't be the same with the 1.4tfsi.

Reactions: fanta
I have seen this thread, but it states that anything under a certain engine is 50mm.

Thanks Audismart

This is the part of the strut I measured to give me the 55mm is that the correct area ?
5a52d7507044baf2c50ffab1366996a1.jpg

Okay thanks
I'm looking at the buying the apex coilovers off you actually

Reactions: DPM