S3 Genuine Lowering Springs?

AudiNutta

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just weighing up some ideas, I am very tempted by some lowering springs for the S3. It looks great, but I can't help but imagine what it will look like with that arch gap lessened. I hate 'slammed' cars, I am not into that look, more sporty and functional is what I like. Can I have some feedback on usability? Obviously I will have to be a little more wary but I want to be able to drive the car day to day and not have it scrape on any speed bumps or dropped kerbs and alike.

Now I know that the recommended seems to be H&R, I am right in thinking Audi offer Eibach springs fitted as a genuine accessory? Has anybody had this done with Audi? How much does it cost? How do you rate the Eibach springs?

I would go for H&R and then get a local independent to fit them who I trust wholeheartedly. But, I have the issue with warranty and with my record of drivetrain issues I would be tempting fate. I know the RS3 is coming up later this year and I plan on making a move, but for now I am set to work myself to the bone with upcoming overtime so some reward would be nice :p

Any pictures of your S3's lowered would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys,

Matthew.

Reactions: tuningman73
same boat as you i only had H&R springs on my R32 and the look was spot on however as you say speedhumps etc were pretty hard to get over, even dips in the road sometimes meant you would hit the screw head in the top of the arch liner. So i have said im keeping mine standard but i dont like the gap between the arches either, would look so much better dropped just a tad

Oh, you might have just talked me out of it :( haha.

Well H&R quote a drop between 25mm and 35mm. Eibach quote 20mm front and 15mm rear.

f194efd6f2717949ab10b870b000a98d.jpg
a91cd3ffe14c3ddd6d3461e3852ed980.jpg

6d79fa450f8baac401fc02290c5e3715.jpg

Mine are h&r with 19" wheels which I think yours has doesn't it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tuningman73, far2tall and Rob2k68
I think it's 25mm if I can remember only problem I have had is the bumps that are just like single ones if you know what I mean will post a pic.

I think it's 25mm if I can remember only problem I have had is the bumps that are just like single ones if you know what I mean will post a pic.

Alright thank you, just an occasional scrape or on every bump? My estate has those either side of it haha.

Looks like I will definitely end up going down to Eibach route, with a slightly less drop.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and lenny151
I'm going to fit the ED springs in a few weeks. After reading a lot of reviews these seem to hold up better in the long run vs HR, VWR etc. Also these are linear design as opposed to progressive for HR etc.

I know a few S3 owners who have installed them and are very happy with the finished drop height and drivability.

Something for you to consider perhaps ?

https://www.emmanueledesign.com/col...s3-8v-lowering-spring-kit?variant=22065145927

I'm going to fit the ED springs in a few weeks. After reading a lot of reviews these seem to hold up better in the long run vs HR, VWR etc. Also these are linear design as opposed to progressive for HR etc.

I know a few S3 owners who have installed them and are very happy with the finished drop height and drivability.

Something for you to consider perhaps ?

https://www.emmanueledesign.com/col...s3-8v-lowering-spring-kit?variant=22065145927

Thank you for the input. It does not say what the drop is supposed to be however?

Are they 100% suited to Magnetic Ride? Again doesn't mention that and I am sure you have to get Mag ride specific springs?

Just found this which says they are:
http://www.fastuningstore.com/store/p441/Audi_S3_(8V)_Quattro_Emmanuele_Design_Sport_Springs.html

It looks extremely low, I can't see you not having trouble with it?

Yep designed for Mag ride. Both cars I have seen it on have reported zero issues, no knocking or rubbing.

Drop is approx 0.75″ Front & Rear On Mag-Ride Cars

Reactions: AudiNutta
I'm in a similar situation. I want springs with minimal drop, but just enough to reduce some of the wheel gap. Based on my research, I would recommend the Emmanuele Design's springs, as the OEM-like linear rates will be better for the longevity of your shocks.

Also, according to ED's website, the drop for S3 with magnetic ride is only 0.5" (15mm).

(click on "Lowering Specs" tab)

I believe the drop for the Eibach Pro-Kit is also 15mm, but those are progressive springs.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Correction: some say the Eibach Pro-Kit drops only 10mm for the 8V S3. Not enough people have installed them to give a clear picture. A lot of people installed them on A3, so not exactly apple to apple comparison. 10mm would probably be more ideal for us, although progressive still seems to be a disadvantage compared to linear IMO.

I've got a set of H&R springs and a set of Eibach pro's sat in my garage waiting for me to decide which route to go down.
I've always had a preference for the H&R's but tbh I think I'm swaying towards the Eibachs now.
I know the pro's don't go as low as the sportlines but they do say they give a 10mm drop from standard and isn't the mag ride 5mm higher than the non mag ride S3? That would make it a 15 mm drop overall
I had H&R's on my 8P and tbh I took them off in favour of coilovers as they were a pain on speed bumps.

Reactions: AL_B
Cars with 19" wheels will sit 5mm higher as the wheel diameter is 10mm greater than the 18"'wheel but having said that I never had and issues when I had 18s and Sportlines.

For this very reason cars with 19s will appear lower because they have 5mm less gap tyre to wheel arch.

Last edited:
Reactions: AL_B and Jassyo06
S3 springs and dampers are badly matched from the factory. If I hadn't paid £1,000 for mag ride I would have gone the Billstein coil over route no question but the spring change alone is a good compromise- if you want more focused handling and less pitch whilst cornering after that upgrade the anti-roll bars.

Reactions: AL_B and Jassyo06
Coming from KW clubsports on my 8P to the mag ride on the 8V, I actually like the set up, yeah it's not perfect but it is nice to have the choice depending on your mood and in dynamic I would say it handles as well as my 8P did.
I just need it to sit a little lower

Reactions: AL_B and Rob2k68
Both @Rob2k68 and I have the Eibach Sportline kit, I think I speak for both of us when I say we're happy. He's got Magride, I haven't, which does make a difference of course. I find the drop just about perfect (including in "winter mode" on the 18s) and handling much improved.

Reactions: AL_B, Jassyo06 and Rob2k68
I'm in a similar situation. I want springs with minimal drop, but just enough to reduce some of the wheel gap. Based on my research, I would recommend the Emmanuele Design's springs, as the OEM-like linear rates will be better for the longevity of your shocks.

Also, according to ED's website, the drop for S3 with magnetic ride is only 0.5" (15mm).

(click on "Lowering Specs" tab)

I believe the drop for the Eibach Pro-Kit is also 15mm, but those are progressive springs.

Perfect thank you for the information. 0.5" would be spot on.

Reactions: Rob2k68