My 1.8tqs track/fast road

shedrool83

Reaction score
Bought this a couple of months ago.
Alot of the hard work was done and i have be sorting out bits and pieces to get it how i wanted it.

how i bought it
Stripped out sitting on 18" pro race 1.2 ,koni coilovers ,rs4 brakes front and back and had a rs4 exhaust made to fit

First up was to get the interior more homely as it will see more of weekend runs than the track .
So in went a carpet ,doorcards ,center console seats and harnesses

next was set about giving it a btcc theme

Parcel shelf made and a cover for the rear seating area were next

and a boost gauge

Some blue hoses

The rs4 wasnt working for me as was sitting to low and causing issues getting in and out of the garage.
So off it came and a jetex went on at the weekend

Starting to thing about engine mods but will get the summer over first and maybe do something when its off the road through the winter.I'm new to audi's after many years tinkering with bmw e30's so will no doubt be asking a lot of question and most may be stupid ones lol

Thanks for looking

Reactions: Bradderz_1988, Baka, Gazwould and 6 others
going from an E30 to an A4 seems to be getting more common... theirs a lot less welding required...

where did you get the jetex system from Jake?
Ive got a spare glovebox if you want to try and butcher it in to fill the gap in the dash?

Reactions: Andyb5tdi
Looking forward to seeing this develop

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

going from an E30 to an A4 seems to be getting more common... theirs a lot less welding required...

where did you get the jetex system from Jake?
Ive got a spare glovebox if you want to try and butcher it in to fill the gap in the dash?
I have a glovebox in the hole now mate .(butchered but in)
Jetex system came from ebay .

Reactions: jbh
Love it! Is this purely for the track or your daily too? I'd love another naughty looking daily driver, miss driving my (legalish) Starlet GT turbo on the road (white with black bits, red bits and red wheels), got so much attention compared to my plain looking A4 despite the Starlet probably not being as quick now.

Love it! Is this purely for the track or your daily too? I'd love another naughty looking daily driver, miss driving my (legalish) Starlet GT turbo on the road (white with black bits, red bits and red wheels), got so much attention compared to my plain looking A4 despite the Starlet probably not being as quick now.
Is no seen the track yet i planned on using it for weekend country lane runs and trackdays

Reactions: Browett1982
First shake down test with new exhaust today after work. Everything was going good and was happy with the exhaust and no more of it hitting the ground at ever bump in the road.

Thats were my happiness ended.
Going along a straight i changed into 4th then went for 5th and had no clutch blipped the throttle and got 5th on the engine revs.
At the point in 5 miles from home on a back road ,get to the end of the road gear stick goes into 1st but very little to no drive (just got out of junction then no drive at all).
Gear stick is going into every gear but when you lift the clutch its like its still in neutral.
Anyone had this happen to them?I thinking best case clutch worst case gearbox or can it be as simple as a drive shaft.?

Here a couple of pics from today before the smile was wiped from my face

Reactions: Bradderz_1988 and jbh
could be any of the above.

Check all the driveshafts with the car in gear and see if any are spinning.

Its probably the clutch though, given it failed on pressing the clutch pedal...

Gearbox failure without loud angry noises is unlikely.

could be any of the above.

Check all the driveshafts with the car in gear and see if any are spinning.

Its probably the clutch though, given it failed on pressing the clutch pedal...

Gearbox failure without loud angry noises is unlikely.

Thanks for the reply
If its the clutch might as well upgrade hoping its a driveshaft for an easier fix .
How hard is it to get the gearboxs out of these?

Well had a look today to see if it was a driveshaft and hayho its looking like the clutch or the box.
Had it up in the air and running in gear,wheels turning very slow and can be stopped and speedo nut going up when giving it throttle.
Might have a go at getting the box out tomorrow mood depending lol

I had a feeling you were in Dundee going by your username, literally just back from Dundee too

Anyway if you need any parts I'm braking a tqs at the moment and as said they're going cheap

I had a feeling you were in Dundee going by your username, literally just back from Dundee too

Anyway if you need any parts I'm braking a tqs at the moment and as said they're going cheap
Perfect .Can yo pm me a phone number think i'm going to need a prop shaft .

Well after 4 hours of f+ c'ing the box is out and problem found.

Here is whats left of the clutch

And here is the rest of it

Never seen a clutch do that before bear in mind i never noticed any slipping before hand.

Prop shaft would not seperate from the box and need a hammering and when it did come off it looked like this

Also the flywheel now has a nice big groove in it so thats scrap too.

Manage to snap the hose connect on the Evap CanisterPurge Valve so need one of them too.(think its called that)

Oh and the downpipe was a night mare to dissconnect from the cat and the bracket welds broke so new downpipe needed too.

Must add this is one of the worst job i have ever done on a car and i have built e30's from the ground up and done a few engine coversions .Saying that it is the first time and i'm sure it wouldn't be as bad the next time

Few question regarding parts list i need
1- clutch and fly wheel (which brand is good on audi's and can i go solid flywheel?)
2-prop shaft(i take it mines is fubarred and i need a replacement)
3-Evap CanisterPurge Valve(anyone know the part number for these?)
4-Drive shaft (noticed there were gaskets do i need to replace them or are am i ok the leave these out?)
5-downpipe to cat gasket, nuts and bolts (anyone know the part number for these?)
6-cat to manifold gasket nuts and washers(anyone know the part number for these?)
7-slave cylinder(should i replace ?)

Man this looks expensive lol

1. TTV Racing Flywheel and an RS4 clutch is your best bet.
2. The CV joint on the end of the propshaft can simply be reassembled. You'll have to fully strip it all down though to clean out all the old grease. The centre spider has remained on the end of the prop, remove the circlip and take it off, and build up the joint on the bench once everything is thoroughly cleaned.
3. Common fault, I've just glued the stub back on again in the past. 058133517 is PN.
4. Reuse the old gaskets is fine. If you've ruined them you'll need new ones. Dealer only part i suspect.
5. Gasket is 1H0253115, i would recommend buying some stainless steel nuts and bolts for it, becuase as you've found, getting at them is a nightmare and normal steel rots away.
6. Gasket is 8D0253115 for the cat to Turbo, which is what i presume you meant? I've always just reused the original nuts here (not sure there are any washers?) but they are N 90369001 if you want new ones.
7. I've never bothered, and have owned a few high mileage B5's

1. TTV Racing Flywheel and an RS4 clutch is your best bet.
2. The CV joint on the end of the propshaft can simply be reassembled. You'll have to fully strip it all down though to clean out all the old grease. The centre spider has remained on the end of the prop, remove the circlip and take it off, and build up the joint on the bench once everything is thoroughly cleaned.
3. Common fault, I've just glued the stub back on again in the past. 058133517 is PN.
4. Reuse the old gaskets is fine. If you've ruined them you'll need new ones. Dealer only part i suspect.
5. Gasket is 1H0253115, i would recommend buying some stainless steel nuts and bolts for it, becuase as you've found, getting at them is a nightmare and normal steel rots away.
6. Gasket is 8D0253115 for the cat to Turbo, which is what i presume you meant? I've always just reused the original nuts here (not sure there are any washers?) but they are N 90369001 if you want new ones.
7. I've never bothered, and have owned a few high mileage B5's
Spot on mate thanks.
I managed to sort out the prop this morning when i was cleaning out in prep for refit.

If your keeping the engine standard, then i'd probably just stick with the standard clutch, including the DMF.

The valeo kit looks tempting, but the clutch it comes with is incompatible with normal 1.8T clutch kits, so its a bit of a dead end.

If your keeping the engine standard, then i'd probably just stick with the standard clutch, including the DMF.

The valeo kit looks tempting, but the clutch it comes with is incompatible with normal 1.8T clutch kits, so its a bit of a dead end.
They have it listed as a smf kit to fit ajl too. So do you not recommend going down the smf route and sourcing a new dmf if stay standard engine wise?
Thanks for your help btw.

What i meant was, if in future that Valeo clutch wears out, you cant just fit a standard 1.8T clutch. The clutch that comes with the SMF kit is specific to the SMF kit. They may or may not sell it on its own, i dont know.

If your keeping the engine stock or near stock, i dont really see any point in changing from the stock parts, they work perfectly well, and if it aint broke it doesnt need fixed!

Right after thinking about this today and emailing ttv re the flywheel and price plus what aragorn has said i think my mind is made up.

Going to go for the ttv flywheel and a b5 rs4 luk clutch kit
http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/clutch-kit
Going down the standard route would save me a bit of money but not enough not to upgrade.

Cheers again aragorn
Just need to explain to the wife why a racing flywheel and rs4 clutch is a good thing :whistle2:

theres a couple of different bolt lengths for the flywheel bolts, i dont recall which you need, but i think its the shorter ones. Worth confirming with TTV.

I ran into the same issue when fitting a new DMF to my dads car. The old flywheel used the long bolts and the new one used shorter bolts (or vice versa, i cant remember) I had to order new bolts from the dealer.

theres a couple of different bolt lengths for the flywheel bolts, i dont recall which you need, but i think its the shorter ones. Worth confirming with TTV.

I ran into the same issue when fitting a new DMF to my dads car. The old flywheel used the long bolts and the new one used shorter bolts (or vice versa, i cant remember) I had to order new bolts from the dealer.
I emailed ttv earlier asking if it came with the flywheel bolts or if the old ones were ok,so i guess they will tell me what bolts i need if they don't supply them.

Clutch and ttv flywheel on.
After 3 attempts at getting the box back in i gave up for tonight (arms aching lol)
Need to get an alignment tool before i try again as diy on wasn't cutting it.

Reactions: AlexA4Avant
Good effort for doing it alone

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

Jake if your down my way Ive got a shaft out of a tdi box if its the same splines.
Im away on holiday but I can get my mate to look it out and give you it.
I'll get one mate but thanks for the offer.

After buying a clutch alignment tool for machinemart it's all back together .
Only gave it a 2 feet forward and a 2 feet backwards test in the garage but i must say thats one of the worst job i have ever done on a car .
Just hope the timing belt swap in the winter doesn't put me off audi's for good lol

After buying a clutch alignment tool for machinemart it's all back together .
Only gave it a 2 feet forward and a 2 feet backwards test in the garage but i must say thats one of the worst job i have ever done on a car .
Just hope the timing belt swap in the winter doesn't put me off audi's for good lol
Ive done a few timing belts on the 1.9tdi's Jake and once you strip the front end off you have plenty of space.
not sure what the process is doing it on the 1.8T engine but if its anything like mine it should be pretty straight forward.

Theres a reason i pulled the whole engine out every time i've done a clutch on a b5 :p

Timing belt is pretty streight forwards. Just make sure you get the full kit with all the bits including tensioner.

Theres a reason i pulled the whole engine out every time i've done a clutch on a b5 :p

Timing belt is pretty streight forwards. Just make sure you get the full kit with all the bits including tensioner.
Whats the best brand of kit to get?I'll start looking now so i have everything in stock ready to go.
Sods law a flywheel and clutch went on ebay yesterday for £300 :gun2: