Central Electrics upgrade

marci4

A3 2.0FSI SPORT
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was looking to upgrade my Central Electrics module from the very very basic 8P0907279 (no letter on the end) and not sure whether to put a K or an N in. It is a 2004 1.6 petrol so that's from the start of production and pretty basic model as well.
I know that the K version will work but looking at ebay it is pretty expensive, however N seems to be much cheaper the question is only will it work in a 2004 A3?
Want to go for a 30byte Highend model as I never know what else I will want to add lol.

Reactions: grainqey
Yeah I did recall seeing somewhere that N is intended for >MY2008 but just wanted a confirmation. I've seen that thread where people had all lights flashing like it's christmas all the time but that was sorted by setting some values. I'd like some more opinions though please as the price difference is quite big - £79 for K and £49 for N on eBay so that's a £30 saving which could be used to buy some more parts for the car :footy:
I'm hoping to do a MFSW and Cruise Control in the very near future :blackrs4:

then for mfsw and cruise you will need to upgrade your control module in steering wheel (as said your car is basic) to the one ending in F. And probably add the cable for cruise.

Marek, yes I'm on a hunt for the steering wheel control unit (F), slipring (D) and obvs the wheel but that might the the hardest to find as unsure which one will work properly and also will my airbag fit. I've got the leather 3 spoke steering wheel and as the car is 2004 it will have a 1 stage airbag. I'll probably have to take the airbag off and find the PN, then x-reference that with some wheels of ebay. Was thinking about 8P0419091BL as it seems to have the same shape of airbag.

Fredrik, thanks for the link. I think that cleared up a lot of things and most likely N will not work in my car :disappointed: So I guess I'll need to keep hunting for K or just go a bit lower with F.

Thanks for help guys

Marek, yes I'm on a hunt for the steering wheel control unit (F), slipring (D) and obvs the wheel but that might the the hardest to find as unsure which one will work properly and also will my airbag fit. I've got the leather 3 spoke steering wheel and as the car is 2004 it will have a 1 stage airbag. I'll probably have to take the airbag off and find the PN, then x-reference that with some wheels of ebay. Was thinking about 8P0419091BL as it seems to have the same shape of airbag.

Fredrik, thanks for the link. I think that cleared up a lot of things and most likely N will not work in my car :disappointed: So I guess I'll need to keep hunting for K or just go a bit lower with F.

Thanks for help guys

Sorry for hi-jacking but I've got a rev D slipring if you want it? P/N is 1K959653D - no idea what theyre going for on ebay but I don't need it

So I decided to go for the K Bord and at the same time I ordered the F steering wheel control unit :smilingimp:. I guess what I will need now is a new steering wheel (I need to take the airbag off of mine to check the PN to see if it will fit the wheel I have found on ebay) and a different airbag cable that will have the plug for buttons.
I looked through the thread that Marek has linked to but ideally not to spend too much money I'd prefer to keep my current airbag rather than buying a new one as they're quite expensive. Also steering wheel with the lowline buttons for 8V seems to be hard to find, but I only had a quick look though. I'll do a deeper search.
And yeah, would totally be interested in the slipring, grainqey. Will drop you a PM about this :mailclosedflaglower:

More look in 8v section for mfsw or in cars for parts (scrap) rather than just steering wheel itself (should be easier to find).

Yep, I'll need to pay all Bristol scrapyards a visit in a hunt for suitable steering wheel and airbag. Otherwise I'll have to stick to eBay but some of the prices on there look terrifying the least! :fearscream:

Quick update...
New toys (K central elec. and F steering wheel unit) arrived in post a couple of days ago but had no time to fit them due to combination of bad weather/work and uni :grimacing: Soon all exams will be over though which means I'll have a bit more time to play around with the :blackrs4:.
I've also managed to get the central electrics with all plugs and pieces of cut wires sticking out of them which will surely be very useful when retrofitting different things :smiley:

When you say you upgraded the central electrics... do you mean the can gateway or the big board under the steering wheel?

I mean the big board under steering wheel (09-Bordnetz-the-really-long-German-word :) ). I haven't changed it out yet though but will do once I'll get some time.
I don't think there is any point in changing the gateway (which I found is behind the glovebox when I was fixing my glovebox hinge) as it only connects all CAN lines together, K-lines and couple of other things and I don't think there're any upgrades possible.

Marcin

The can gateway is needed for the head-unit battery drain and also the gearbox if you swap to an MQB gearbox (RS3 or new 6 speed)

also such as the latest steering rack and electric handbrake, auto park, start stop etc will most likely need it as I've seen the coding for that lot on my new gateway - think it has the other stuff on for battery regulation like with braking energy re-coup and hybrid stuff but not sure without looking for those last two

It's possible you could use the later steering wheels and modules with that too - there's lin 1.3? and lin 2.0

Alex

Interesting... I don't think I'll be doing any of the above mods to my A3 though so I should be good with the stock gateway. But I'll go through the current flow diagrams out of interest anyway to see how it all connects in some free time :)