Which TTRS / RS3 Brake Pads?

mechanic69

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Fitting the TTRS brake calipers to my S3 8P.

What pads are good for fast road. Im looking at Mintex 1144s or Tarox Strada?????

Any thoughts welcomed.

If you can find the right size ,Mintex 1155 are excellent.

Good initial bite from cold plus a good temperature coefficient and won't give up on a track day.

Reactions: HHS3
Are they much better than the 1144s as I won't be doing track days?

I couldn't honestly say...
I had these all round on the last set of brakes.

Now got AP pads on the fronts ( which I think are Mintex sourced) and pleasantly surprised by EBC Yellows on the rear Forge brake kit.

I went with EBC Redstuff in mine. Couldn't fault them. No brake noise either

Reactions: Arkious, millsy4002, 45bvtc and 2 others
I'm using Mintex 1155s on the front now - used them out on a couple of fast runs and I am pretty impressed with them so far. A bit noisy at low speed, but couldn't get them to a point where I felt them fading. A longer run is needed, but no regrets in buying these so far.

I had EBC Redstuff on stock brakes and they were ok, but on one long run in Wales a couple of years back, I did get them to fade and when they did it was with little warning... A bit of poo may have come out.

Reactions: mechanic69, HHS3 and S3Alex
To what Celsius do the 1155's work ?

The following is taken from: https://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tun...-a3-8p-mintex-race-brake-pads-s3-quattro.html

The Mintex M1155 Compound has been designed for the track. The M1155 has a medium friction level of just over 0.4 which is available at temperatures from 200-500°C. With a flat friction curve, the braking performance remains stable at any temperature, giving the driver confidence at any point of a race or stage. With positive brake pressure modulation and a high fade resistance up to 600°C, the M1155 compound is ideal for Group A and Group N Rally cars. The M1155 lacks feel when cold so ideally is suited to a race environment where the brakes are worked hard. We find this needs a few braking attempts to be at its best so is not suited for the road. Key Points: • Friction Coefficient of 0.4 up to 600°C • Stable Performance at Any Temperature • High Fade Resistance • Positive Pressure Modulation

You know, I've read that when buying and thought that M1155s would be bad when cold, but having used that car for a bit, I haven't noticed much in terms of bad cold performance - I don't rag the car when it's not up to temp and that lets the pads warm up too, so it's not been an issue.

Like I said though, other than a bit of low speed noise, they have been very good so far.

You know, I've read that when buying and thought that M1155s would be bad when cold, but having used that car for a bit, I haven't noticed much in terms of bad cold performance - I don't rag the car when it's not up to temp and that lets the pads warm up too, so it's not been an issue.

Like I said though, other than a bit of low speed noise, they have been very good so far.

That's good to know both you and Alex recommend them, I currently have them on my list of parts to get for stage 2+ as a BBK won't be happening for quite some time due to funds. I also don't rag it until it's up to temperature so can't see it being an issue for me either.

Reactions: S3Alex and leshkin
That's good to know both you and Alex recommend them, I currently have them on my list of parts to get for stage 2+ as a BBK won't be happening for quite some time due to funds. I also don't rag it until it's up to temperature so can't see it being an issue for me either.

BBK is obvisouly on another level, but between good pads and a full braided line setup, it will be a worthwhile upgrade even on stock disks.

Reactions: HHS3 and S3Alex
0.4 is quite a low friction coefficient. I'm surprised its that low.

Bit of googling shows much higher coefficients at higher temperatures with other pads such as Ferrodo DS2.11 and DS3000, Hawk and Carbotech

For what its worth I have been through a set of Pagid RS4-2's and now on the second. Exceptional bite when warm, easy to modulate pedal and brutal stopping power. Slightly noisy when stone cold or with light pedal pressure and have a tendency to feel a bit wooden when not up to temp.

RS4-2 have a cold coefficient of 0.4 and when warmed up (450 to 600 deg ) a coefficient of 0.45. To get them into that temperature window they do need a fair bit of work. Normal driving wont get them anywhere near. Need a 5 or 6 hard stops from motorway speeds to get them up to temp properly. They are also fair bit more expensive than the Mintex pads.

Word of warning though. Be careful using pads designed to operate at higher temperatures with the stock TTRS discs. They cannot cope properly as they are not full floating or directional. With more road oriented pads the pad will fade before the disc overheats. With some of the pads mentioned here you may end up with one disc on the non-directional side overheating and pad deposits going down resulting in vibration. This happened to me on a track day and since changing the discs to a floating design from AP they perform much better. So much so that it actually takes longer to get the pads up to temperature because the discs are well ventilated.

Reactions: S3Alex
I went with EBC Redstuff in mine. Couldn't fault them. No brake noise either

I'm with Goodbuzzman1, I fitted EBC Redstuff to the front and rear of my RS3 2 weeks ago and haven't looked back. I took them for a high speed run in and they are working perfectly. Very little dust too. If your using Audi discs, they have a tendency to warp if the holes get blocked so use a low dust pad imo. I was lucky Audi changed front discs under warranty, I was none of the wiser but the Audi pads are shocking for dust!

Reactions: millsy4002
0.4 is quite a low friction coefficient. I'm surprised its that low.

Bit of googling shows much higher coefficients at higher temperatures with other pads such as Ferrodo DS2.11 and DS3000, Hawk and Carbotech

I think we need to consider how consistent the friction coefficient is across the whole temperature range. I've taken this form Demon Tweeks site:

M1155

Produced for the track, the M1155 Compound has a medium friction level of just over 0.4 which is available at temperatures of up to 700°C. With a flat friction curve, the braking performance remains stable at any temperature, giving the driver confidence at any point of a race or stage. With positive brake pressure modulation and a high fade resistance up to 600°C, the M1155 compound is ideal for Group A and Group N Rally cars, Dirt track and Circuit use.

Key Points:
• Friction Coefficient of 0.4 up to 700°C
• Stable Performance at Any Temperature
• High Fade Resistance
• Positive Pressure Modulation

Looks like the info we have on pads is a bit inconsistent, so not sure what to trust anymore :(

Reactions: S3Alex
Either way, I'm happy with M1155s for now - big improvement over the non-branded set I had previously from the driving I did so far... A good test would be a track day or a longer hoon this summer :)

Where did you source your Mintex M1155's from bud? KAM Racing is the only supplier for the S3 8P I've found.

Where did you source your Mintex M1155's from bud? KAM Racing is the only supplier for the S3 8P I've found.
That is from Demon Tweeks website. I used KAM racing to buy these pads for my BBK though. Not sure, but all these descriptions are from manufacturer catalogues and it sounds like it may be a copy/paste error by whoever filled out the part database for relevant supplier.

I spoke with a tech at Mintex, who were very easy to get hold of on the phone, so it might be a case of phoning around the different manufacturers and compiling a standardised list of pad properties for each one. Maybe an updated one to this: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...s-thread-with-part-numbers-and-prices.216207/

TTRS caliper pad fitment as Aston martin 4 port rear and Subaru STI brembo fronts - if that helps with the search.

For stock s3 front caliper you want mintex part number: MDB2677M1155

Check out Mintex website for correct fitment to stock callipers.

Dose this look the right way to fit pads?
4b3e94d30f2f8f68c623ee21b7534d58.jpg

And I'm assuming the pads are fitted with the Caliper on the car? Unlike the s3 calipers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep looks good to me. Much easier changing pads on the TTRS caliper for sure.

Reactions: mechanic69
I used a bit of wood to protect them and gentle lever then with a spanner - use a rag to protect the paint on the caliper. Also take the cap off the brake reservoir and keep a close eye on the level as it will over flow if you swap worn pads for brand new and have to push all the pistons back in.

You dont need a tool as per the rear caliper as they are not threaded.

You can also use the old brake pads as a platform to push against if you arent going to use them again.