FAST ANSWERS PLEASE, fuel flap stuck - no fuel

KieranJ22

Reaction score
So I had audi check my car out a few weeks ago under warranty, on the health check they said there was a problem with the fuel
Flap not locking properly. They said it was under warranty and needed to order a whole
New panel and fuel tank parts and paint etc..

(Baring in mind I've owned this for almost a year and not had a problem with it once)

it's due in on Saturday and I have just gone to the garage to fill up for the first time since i got it back and the fuel door won't open. I can't access to fill up the car and I tried to pull the red tag at the back but no use. What do I do? I have 20 miles left on the range!

If the car is under audi warranty you also should have the breakdown cover. Call them out to resolve or tow you home

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

Cycle the central locking a few times then try again with the red manual release chord.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I had this problem on an 8p, but in that car there is manual release. You have to pull a cord behind the boot trim. Check the manual.

If the car is under audi warranty you also should have the breakdown cover. Call them out to resolve or tow you home

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk
I've tried calling Audi assist but no luck, il have to keep trying

Also I presume you've unclipped it from the edge of the boot trim and are giving it a good tug ?

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Yes I pulled it but snapped and didn't open it?
Work out what the cord pulls. The flap is locked by a small metal bar. You need to do what the cord was trying to do before it snapped. It should be simple. Good luck

If you can get to the remaining part of the chord press the flip in before pulling.

I've managed to get through to them who are coming out in the morning as I said I think Il have enough to get home, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the fast replies everyone, really appreciated, great forum!

Reactions: Mark_86, Audi Bairn, Tom.H and 1 other person
I'd of ripped the flap off by now !

Reactions: Rob2k68, KieranJ22 and Tom.H
the manual release chord is as uselesss as BMW's indicators

Attachments

• IMG_7286.PNG
    IMG_7286.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,761
Reactions: Rob2k68 and Audi Bairn
Audi Assist is AA. They should answer quickly and come out straight away. What was the problem?

Yeah agree with this. Just added 2 extra yrs to my Audi Assist policy based on them being with the AA and should have same service which from experience is excellent. If they tell you they are coming in the morning and don't answer then the service is seriously lacking. Could be because the OP had fuel and just needed to go home but could do the journey? still if you have work in the morning and have t take time off to sort this out then isn't really on.

I think the fuel locking mechanism is a temperamental thing anyway. Loads on this site about getting them replaced. Mine has been acting weird and different to most from what i read. If you haven't yet fixed it then try, when you out of the car, unlocking a few times. Mine always takes 2 unlocking presses of the fob to open the flap,evn if the whole car is unlocked. Also, if you left the key in the ignition, i don't think it opens.Mine doesn't. The unlocking on the drivers door also doesn't unlock the flap i don't think.

Last edited:
Reactions: slipped_disc
Yeah agree with this. Just added 2 extra yrs to my Audi Assist policy based on them being with the AA and should have same service which from experience is excellent.
I had a flat tyre and called them out as I didn't fancy using the flimsy jack in the boot, less than an hour later they were at my house, car jacked up, wheel off, spare on, back on the ground and they had left! Very impressed :)

Reactions: Ormesome
I had a flat tyre and called them out as I didn't fancy using the flimsy jack in the boot, less than an hour later they were at my house, car jacked up, wheel off, spare on, back on the ground and they had left! Very impressed :)
They ok about changing a flat either at home or out and about..as handy to know if wife gets a flat

Reactions: Ormesome

Good to know. Always had great service from AA when used in the past. The extra Audi Assist offer for yrs 4 & 5 was a great package (half the price of going direct to AA) so I'm happy its still good service too. The OP must have made arrangements to meet in the morning as iv not heard of any breakdown service saying they could only come 12hrs later!

They offered to come out last night or in the morning but I thought I'd have enough to get home and get it done in the morning on my day off, rather than sitting in a petrol garage for god knows how long.

They turned up this morning on time and after saying about how flimsy the emergency cord was, he just used light force to pop the flap off. He said it was the solenoid and probably due to water getting behind (recommended not to jet wash this area).

This was already due to be booked in with Audi for tomorrow to be replaced, He had been and gone within 10 minutes and the fuel flap is now open and can't be locked. Hopefully should all be done within a few hours tomorrow with a new pull cord fitted in the back.

Reactions: Tom.H and Ormesome
They ok about changing a flat either at home or out and about..as handy to know if wife gets a flat
Yes mate, I asked if it was OK and they said it was fine :) I keep a compressor in the boot as well, funnily enough I used it last night when I picked my wife up from work, a woman she works with had 2 flats on the NS, rear was 100% down and the front about 50%. Pumped them up enough to get her home.

Reactions: Tom.H and Ormesome
Yes mate, I asked if it was OK and they said it was fine :) I keep a compressor in the boot as well, funnily enough I used it last night when I picked my wife up from work, a woman she works with had 2 flats on the NS, rear was 100% down and the front about 50%. Pumped them up enough to get her home.

The package includes Home Assist so will cover you anywhere in the UK for anything including your home. very comprehensive package. Cover is based on the car so you don't have to be present if something happens, so if your wife is driving then you don't have to provide your ID or anything like that. Handy if your not there.

@Kieran Johnson glad you got it sorted and hope Audi fix it properly tomorrow. :grinning:

Reactions: KieranJ22
Replaced all the housing and the solenoid/actuator and all working fine now. Even got a free Easter egg when I picked it up an hour later..

Reactions: Rob2k68 and azibux1
Replaced all the housing and the solenoid/actuator and all working fine now. Even got a free Easter egg when I picked it up an hour later..

Nice one! The Easter Egg is a nice touch.

Reactions: KieranJ22, Rob2k68 and azibux1