Gloss black grille paint peeling off.

Jonny Cooper

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I noticed yesterday that the gloss black paint on the front grille is peeling off around one of the parking sensors on my 2015 (65) A4 B8 Black Edition plus.

I have typed it into the usual places & several owners (mainly in the states) have had this problem which has been sorted by dealers, usually without charge but sometimes not.

It isn't particularly bad just now but as the plastic underneath appears to be very smooth & not originally keyed to take the paint, I imagine that it is only going to get worse.

My Brilliant red 2003 B6 has lost all of the laquer from the boot lid recently & is failing in other areas too which I understand is a common problem but with this other car being only 18 months old, I expected better. It hasn't peeled where a stone has hit or anything, it is totally unmarked except for the peeling paint & I'm not heavy handed when washing the car so that isn't the cause.

Forgive my innocence here but as this is the newest car I have ever owned (I bought it from a main Audi dealer in March this year), who quickly lost interest as the fourth digit of my pin was entered into the card machine, can I take this to my nearest or, any Audi dealer, to look at & sort for me.

I haven't any experience of warranty claims as previous cars have either been too old when I bought them or have gone wrong well outside of the warranty period. I didn't get the full book pack with the car so have no info to hand on what's covered & for how long.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jonny.

Hello Johnny, it would seem to me that calling your local dealer and getting this inspected and fixed under warranty is the least you deserve, good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: xpoweruk
Deffo take it to your local dealer.
Maybe Google round for dealers in your area that more customer friendly too

Take it to local dealer. Still under warranty and will be sorted if it isn't due to stone chip.

The paint and laquer peeled off lower part of front bumper on my 2015 a4 BE+ and portadown Audi replaced bumper for new one and sprayed bumper. They also gave me a jacket and umbrella for having to take day off work. Bonus.

Reactions: ed1119
Thanks for the replies.

I'll phone my local dealer (Doncaster Audi) this week & go from there.

I bought the car from an Audi dealer 200 miles away which helps when looking for a vehicle online as I used the Audi.co.uk search facility & always chose the 800 mile radius option. It widens the search area but am honestly pleased that they aren't my nearest dealer.

They did agree to replace a scratched drivers door glass for me (after suggesting that I had damaged it on the drive home) & then once the logbook came back & I wrote a letter to the previous keeper, I found out that he had been charged by them to replace the glass & a mirror housing as he took the car back & had to make it good due to it being part way into a pcp deal.

They get paid, don't replace the part & then "suggest" it was my fault which was nice.

Anyway, back to the paint, I'll see what happens & take a photo next time I get home in the daylight.

Cheers.

Jonny.

A small update nearly a year from spotting the peeling grille paint/coating....

I didn't get a coat or umbrella but the good lady had a brand new A3 for the day & I got a new grille fitted foc a few weeks ago by Doncaster Audi.

What I did get was a text with a link to an "AudiCam" presentation with an "Amber warning" about my front tyres & an option to accept or ignore the request to replace them for me.

They were 47% worn on one side & 49% on the other and with nearly 5mm left on both, I consider them to be quite roadworthy.

As the text came through I had to make very sure I pressed the correct button on the small window or would have soon owed them 420 quid on collection.

I also noticed from the video clip that the quattro badge hadn't been re-fitted so telephoned about that & confirmed that my tyres were not to be replaced.

I was told that my technician didn't know it was a quattro so didn't notice the badge. He had done a health check on the car so presumably he had it on a lift?? Maybe the extra metalwork at the back just didn't make him wonder. He went to get it "out of the bin" and all was well in the world again.

I'm still very unsure about my local dealer to be honest but that's for another day.

I k ow it was a while ago but thanks for the replies.

Jonny.

I also noticed from the video clip that the quattro badge hadn't been re-fitted so telephoned about that & confirmed that my tyres were not to be replaced.

I was told that my technician didn't know it was a quattro so didn't notice the badge. He had done a health check on the car so presumably he had it on a lift?

I've found some Audi technicians pretty poor. Fitting trim should be straight forward. The car would have had a job ticket, and it would have been marked on that, plus the quattro badge is on the boot and glovebox. They should know just from driving it.

The videos are just scare mongering. 5mm tyre tread is fine. I'd consider changing them at 3mm. Start looking for an independent garage and fit genuine Audi parts once it's out of the Approved Used warranty.