Makes you deaf!

macattax

Reaction score
It may be a common fault.
But my stereo when I try to adjust the volume will sometimes suddenly turn up full blast and scares the crap outta me.
Anyone else have this problem?

It's a fairly common problem. There is a link to the thread dealing with this in the FAQ sticky post but the link doesn't work anymore.
A quick search should find it though

John

The only way to deal with this is to buy a replacement, there is no simple cheap fix. Its a common fault. Check out ebay, there is a healthy trade (and price) for an audi concert. Be careful if you swap to an aftermarket though, there are issues with the rear speakers (which have their own amplifier) and the aerial (which also has an amplifier). Neither of these are a major deal and there are ways around them, but you need to be aware if you do change.

I had a nice Alpine hu with MP3 changer in my wifes 1.8t sport. This had a fosgate punch amp powering the rear Calibre replacement speakers. A good setup which I must get round to putting up on a ebay one of these days!

mine has a weird fault too. if i leave the unit switched on all the time so it comes on and off with the ign key its fine, but if i turn it off and on after ive started the car the rear speakers cut out after about 10 secs. to get them working again i have to take the key out and start the car again! how strange is that??? i reckon its to do with the remote switching of the amp dropping out. any ideas?

its the switch for the volume control in the head unit, iirc the only way around it is to buy another head unit

As others have said, its a dead common problem with the Concert stereos fitted to the A3/A4/A8 which look identical but some are made by Blaupunkt whilst others are made by Panasonic/Matsushita.
Think that one of the brands is meant to be more susceptible to the switch problem but don't know which!!!!.....
Think its actually the microchip that controls the volume 'memory' that plays up, rather than the actual volume switch itself.......
There are reputedly companies which can change this 'chip' but in most cases its easier to swap stereos.
When my stereo began playing up it was cheaper to buy a new one, luckily found a new/unused and boxed Concert on Ebay from a VAG obsolete parts dealer for a paltry £65 which was a total bargain as have seen used Concerts in good working condition go for £100 plus..............

Well I have an awesome Pioneer head unit which I had in my last car its ****** amazing!
Its a DEH-p80 mp http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/archive/DEH-P80MP/index.html

It is the best headunit I ever had but the reason I dont have it installed in my car is because it has blue lighting and I feel it would totally look out of place what with all the red ligthing in the a4.
I was just going to install it in my boat so I can headbang while I fish during the summer months :rockwoot:

Here's the explanation. Basically just incredibly badly designed.
The chip that controls the volume, bass, treble, fader etc writes data to an memory chip everytime you change the volume, bass etc, so it can remember what the settings were on the off chance you may turn the unit off. However there is no reset or overwrite, so eventually after 10,000 changes the chip fills up and the whole thing becomes unstable.
http://www.erta.ru/review/chorus-problem_eng.shtml

confusionhunter said:
OEM electronics fix them for 70 odd quid...... cheaper finding a new unit 2d nd hand......

Do you have any contact info for these ?

Nessy said:
As others have said, its a dead common problem with the Concert stereos fitted to the A3/A4/A8 which look identical but some are made by Blaupunkt whilst others are made by Panasonic/Matsushita.
Think that one of the brands is meant to be more susceptible to the switch problem but don't know which!!!!.....

I was told by one repairer that the Panasonic unit does not suffer from the volume problem. They are however meant to be more susceptible to the screen\display failing. I have both the Blaupunkt and the Panasonic type (one in each car) neither of which I have had a problem with. Yet......

good find, i have the same problem i shyte me self every time i put my stereo on it goes soo dam loud. i dont wana fix it cuz mite be p/x my a4 for a a4 1.8t sport soon. save all my money for that.