How long to 'Officially' leave a windscreen before power washing?

Leebroath

Reaction score
Hi guys

We just had a new front windscreen installed today at 10am on our A4, and the guy said not to power wash it for another 24hrs. I told him it was going in for a valet tomorrow which will probably get done around 9-10am and he sort of did the Mechanics forceful sook through his teeth and said we shouldn't because it might leak.

I know I can tell them not too spray the front window but do you think the glue will have completely set and be ok for the guys to jet wash the car?

Kind of a bit worried if the 24hrs is just a guide and if left longer it helps

Tell the valet business not to jet wash the car. It's entirely possible to wash the car with a hose on shower setting. I think the 24-hour rule is probably based on decent ambient temperature which will allow the bonding agent to cure. What was the temperature today, 10-12 degrees? Enough said.

Reactions: Meemo
I'm just going to go ahead with the Valet and tell my mate to leave the window area completely out, it's brand new so doesn't need cleaned they can clean around the car though, plus it totally needs a clean inside all they carpets and seats need a clean

The guy said to not powerwash the car due to the power of the water as it may mess up the glue, it can be washed but not using a jet :)

Spoke to my mate and he's not going anywhere near the window to either clean or jest wash but going over the rest of the car :)

I can just picture the nice fresh sealer splattered all over your window :-|

I'd just have cancelled it but if it's your mate hopefully it's fine

Reactions: Leebroath
It's cool mate, I've warned him so they will no doubt just use sponges over the car instead of the Jet

Reactions: Chop.
Usually safe drive away time is within 1 hour. Going 70mph down the motorway or round corners has more forces that a jetwash over the window (unless you purposefully aim it at the seal)

Over night should be near enough fully cured.

Never heard anything like that before? I work in a car plant and the freshly glazed cars are sometimes road tested, and water tested straight after ( parked under a high pressure drench shower to mimic a monsoon) the jets are right around the car including underneath.
They also go through an automated car wash system after road testing.

Never heard anything like that before? I work in a car plant and the freshly glazed cars are sometimes road tested, and water tested straight after ( parked under a high pressure drench shower to mimic a monsoon) the jets are right around the car including underneath.

I'd think that there is a subtle difference between what is being done on the controlled environment of a factory and as a "first fit", and what is being done basically at the side of the road under all or most weather conditions - the task is the same but the tools and structural glues being used probably are not.

And to think Audi told me it caressed my car with ostrich feathers........

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro
Ostrich feathers are only before you get it painted.

I also work at a car manufacturing plant and stand by what sixpot said. As little as a hour or so after the window is fitted, they go through a wash booth and across road terrain designed to test the cars.

If you had to wait 24hours....you would need a car park of about 2000 spaces to hold cars whilst the glue sets.

To be honest the guy is likely covering himself. If he said "yeah it will be fine" and then it failed he would have to sort out fixing it from his own pocket. This way if something goes wrong it's your fault. In a car manufacturing plant they want to keep things moving, and having to re-do a single windscreen every now and then is no big deal compared to down time while waiting for glue to set. It's all relative, but chances are you'll be fine.