Big turbo upgrade

JonnyDerv

Reaction score
evening all,

Currently running 420bhp at 1.7 bar on a gtx2867r with a 0.54 v band turbine housing. Running cams and vernier pulley, external wastegate etc. Stock Rev limit, stock valves.

It's been a daily but I'm now looking to make it a weekend car just to go out and have abit of fun so I'm considering upgrading.

Current full boost is around 3.5-4K but spools fine even pottering about at 2.5-3k even on 8.5:1 pistons.

I'm considering putting a gtx3067r. In my understanding the gtx3067r is interchangeable with the turbine housing I have but is 0.54 too small for this turbo? Bare in mind I have stock Rev limit. What sort of spool penalty should I expect with the bigger turbo on the same housing or the smallest turbine housing I can get?

Reactions: IPG
evening all,

Currently running 420bhp at 1.7 bar on a gtx2867r with a 0.54 v band turbine housing. Running cams and vernier pulley, external wastegate etc. Stock Rev limit, stock valves.

It's been a daily but I'm now looking to make it a weekend car just to go out and have abit of fun so I'm considering upgrading.

Current full boost is around 3.5-4K but spools fine even pottering about at 2.5-3k even on 8.5:1 pistons.

I'm considering putting a gtx3067r. In my understanding the gtx3067r is interchangeable with the turbine housing I have but is 0.54 too small for this turbo? Bare in mind I have stock Rev limit. What sort of spool penalty should I expect with the bigger turbo on the same housing or the smallest turbine housing I can get?
The 3067 won't fit in a 28 housing. The turbine wheels are different size and a/r, 56mm vs 60mm. It retains the same compressor wheel but if upgrading you may as well go bigger.
0.54 would also be very small for a gt30 sized turbo. .63 minimum imo.
Consider the 3076 that bill uses for his builds.
Expect similar spool up, maybe ever so slightly later if on low compression pistons

Nope, standard comp is 9:1, I'm 8:5.1 on mahle Motorsport pistons.

Pistons, rods, cams, vernier pulley. Otherwise engine is standard, rebuilt about 10k ago now I think.

Really? I was under the impression they were interchangeable. I thought 0.54 might be abit small. What's he using? The HTA ones?