B&O with and without tech pack

No need to look at the parts bulletin, the amplifiers have simply been revised, it is on its 3rd revision, i.e superseded the prior revision for the newer one

So it went 81A035466 from date of inception till 07/11/2016

81A035466A from 07/11/2016 till 29/05/2017

81A035466B from 29/05/2017 to current.

My 81A035466B has arrived today.

IMG 1655

Reactions: Kreistofer and AL_B
This is interesting, I have my car made mid May 2017, having B&O, normal MMI. And NO SUB control. Overall sound quality is faaaarr away from my expectations, especially when comparing against my previous Golf's Dynaudio-package, which was actually damn nice, now afterwards noticed...

This B&O lacks of real bass and especially mid freq are in too high level around 1-2 kHz, which makes sound "harsh". Would be nice to hear what would be the affect of this 81A035466B amp, if need to follow same steps.

Well, my car goes in next Thursday so I'm going to ask them to check for the elusive update for my non tech pack B+O S3.

I had considered it a waste of time looking at most other peoples experience with their local dealerships.

The reason for the car going in is that the air conditioning has failed!! I'm hoping that's a failed part and not damage - still they might as well plug the car in while it's there.

My car seems to be actually getting worse with some very strange and glitchy behaviour. To me this software wasn't ready for release to the masses, it feels like a beta!

This is interesting, I have my car made mid May 2017, having B&O, normal MMI. And NO SUB control. Overall sound quality is faaaarr away from my expectations, especially when comparing against my previous Golf's Dynaudio-package, which was actually damn nice, now afterwards noticed...

This B&O lacks of real bass and especially mid freq are in too high level around 1-2 kHz, which makes sound "harsh". Would be nice to hear what would be the affect of this 81A035466B amp, if need to follow same steps.

That is exactly what I experience too, except mine is built in June 2017, B&O, normal MMI and I do have sub control.

The highs are there, some lows are there but everything lacks warmth. It's really annoying because I can't stop fiddling with the sound settings, nothing sounds right. Especially in some tracks where the bass "tone" varies, you can hear that some frequencies are WAY too loud, while something a little higher up in the tonal range is super-quiet.

Graph below is how I "feel" things sound. Huge dip somewhere in the middle that takes away all warmth, a huge peak somewhere in the upper-bass area that sounds way too loud. Adjusting settings doesn't help, there is no way to get out the mid dip or upper-bass peak. I am very disappointed as well, I sometimes miss the standard sound system in my A1 and that can't be right.

The strange thing is, sometimes, if I start listening to music right after getting in the car and the MMI did a 'full startup' (with the car image screen etc), the sound is right for about 10-15 seconds. Then all of a sudden something happens, all warmth is gone and it's back to being bad.
Screen%20Shot%202017-07-26%20at%2015.38.35.png

I currently have the standard sound system in my TT which is shocking quality. I was really looking forward to getting the B&O in my S3. This thread is putting a downer on my Sep 1st collection!! :angry::angry::angry:

Wait so to get sub control, I'll need to get a new amp? So there really isn't an MMI update for it?

I just can't be bothered chasing.
There's no intention to be patronising in saying this, but you have to be persistent.

You can't be bothered chasing, and they can't be bothered calling you back.

You're as bad as each other, init.

Someone needs to break the deadlock, and it might as well be you. Take the initiative.

Make it happen, Mr B...

There's no intention to be patronising in saying this, but you have to be persistent.

You can't be bothered chasing, and they can't be bothered calling you back.

You're as bad as each other, init.

Someone needs to break the deadlock, and it might as well be you. Take the initiative.

Make it happen, Mr B...

I feel "told off" and "wrists slapped" now! Thanks!

I've mailed them.

AL

I feel "told off" and "wrists slapped" now! Thanks!

I've mailed them.

AL
I'm just joshing, really.

I know what it's like - I've been on the blower to them for weeks over this shambles. Interestingly, last week's conversation (I lose track after a while) alluded to differences in equipment - i.e. specific differences in the component parts of affected cars - being somewhere behind all this. I don't know whether this could be to do with amplifiers or not.

You do get the sense that they really ought to be getting on with sorting out a fix by now, but the fact remains that very few people have contacted Audi UK to report this particular grievance. I only know this because I make a point of:

a) asking to speak to the same person every time I call, and

b) asking him to check his system to see how many others have called in with a verified complaint of the same nature.

By verified I mean that the car has been to a dealership to have the issue investigated.

Sometimes I get the feeling that people think if enough of them shout loudly enough on forums like this, Audi will suddenly begin to take notice.

Sadly, that isn't the case. Even if they read them - and from what I gather they don't - they could only ever take what they read as anecdotal, no matter how incandescent the contributors were.

Imagine if they reacted to every complaint on here or VWAF or wherever, whether it was about a missing knob in the MMI or a rod through someone's crankcase.

It just ain't going to happen.

That's why a problem (or at least this particular one) has to have been attended to (no matter how cursory or derisory that attention was) by a dealership before it will be accepted as a bona fide complaint by Audi UK.

Jumping up and down and tearing your hair out on here isn't going to make a bean of difference to the outcome.

I wish it did. It'd save me having what is mostly the same conversation with the chap in customer services each week, for one thing.

Mind you, there is an upside to that. I now feel as if I know him like a brother, and we're all off on a cycling holiday to the Norfolk Broads in September on the strength of it...

Last edited:
Reactions: AL_B and SILVAF0XX
Wait so to get sub control, I'll need to get a new amp? So there really isn't an MMI update for it?

Unconfirmed. I need people to post up there VCDS autoscans in order to be able to confirm..

No need to look at the parts bulletin, the amplifiers have simply been revised, it is on its 3rd revision, i.e superseded the prior revision for the newer one

So it went 81A035466 from date of inception till 07/11/2016

81A035466A from 07/11/2016 till 29/05/2017

81A035466B from 29/05/2017 to current.

My 81A035466B has arrived today.

View attachment 131830

Yes I see the revised part numbers and dates. What the bulletin may be able to tell us is the difference in the part changes. I would assume it is related to a supplier change (IE made in China...)

Ok so I've gone to the Audi Contact Center here where they have all options and models because I'm not happy with my B&O (with subwoofer control).

Turns out the A3 with B&O they have here, that lacks subwoofer control, sounds WAY better. The lack of midrange and upper lows that I experience with my B&O is simply not present here.

So yeah, I'm officially ******. The Audi Sound System in the A3 here sounds better than my B&O.

I visited local dealer yesterday for initial oil-change after break-in period and at the same time they checked if there are newer FW-version available for my car > negative. My FW 191 is latest, as expected.

In the evening I was testing just curiosity different fader / balance and I noticed that if I will move fader totally to back of the car, I will loose all the volume. Just some bass coming out of subwoofer, which is also damn bad in quality.

Would say that somebody has really messed up this B&O-combo, there are some real major level issues on it and there are thrown only patches which are not working at all.

my car was in for an air conditioning fix so asked them to look into the MMI issues I'm experiencing.

the sluggishness of... well everything basically... is a surprise to the dealership. Nobody has ever reported issues with performance! Star button not working, drive select being slow to load, Bluetooth randomly not working etc...

The issue of having no subwoofer control is apparently because on my chassis(B+O non tech pack) and my build week(24 of this year I think) it wasn't meant to ne there. It isn't apparently going to be there... ever!

There is however a fix for the resetting of sound settings which I'm told should be available in "autumn of this year"

so there we have it!

Well my update is I'm currently arranging a call with the Customer Relations Manager to talk about it. It doesn't sound like good news and I've pretty much lost hope of getting subwoofer control now. I did come across a minor issue today. Never noticed it before but after starting the car up the clock was 1 hour behind. Checked the time settings and its set to update automatically so was confused. It ended up changing to the right time by itself after 5 minutes so nothing too bad but unusual.

Reactions: SILVAF0XX
Well my update is I'm currently arranging a call with the Customer Relations Manager to talk about it. It doesn't sound like good news and I've pretty much lost hope of getting subwoofer control now. I did come across a minor issue today. Never noticed it before but after starting the car up the clock was 1 hour behind. Checked the time settings and its set to update automatically so was confused. It ended up changing to the right time by itself after 5 minutes so nothing too bad but unusual.

Yours non tech pack B+O?

Can anybody advice if it's possible to adjust volumes separately for each amplifier in B&O-system by VCDS ?

This would be enough for me, I'm not so keen on adjusting continuously subwoofer or others. Just making some permanent tuning and that's all.

Can anybody advice if it's possible to adjust volumes separately for each amplifier in B&O-system by VCDS ?

This would be enough for me, I'm not so keen on adjusting continuously subwoofer or others. Just making some permanent tuning and that's all.

Once you have your subwoofer set there's no need to adjust it again really.

Had my car booked in today to check for the 'elusive' subwoofer control and was told after they checked....that depending on the model of car and 'level' of B&O system would determine if the car came with subwoofer control or not!!!! Even though I explained that a mate bought an A3 1.4 S line in June and he has B&O with subwoofer control!!!! In other words it is what it is!!! There is No software update either on the horizon to fix this!!! Speechless!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SILVAF0XX
Yeah it certainly looks that way, it probably is an amplifier thing. I'm looking to move to an RS3 Saloon next year so hopefully that will have it.

Reactions: SILVAF0XX and Reggieboy71
Any updates? Failed to get my dealer to find a solution yesterday. US 2017 S3 w/ B&O, no subwoofer control :-(

Here are some amp details on a '17 with sub control and my 17 without.

Address 47: Sound System

No Sub control
SW: 81A 035 466
HW: 81A 035 466
Software version: 0100
Hardware version: H10

Sub control
SW: 81A 035 466 A
HW: 81A 035 466
Software version: 0420
Hardware version: H10

Please complete this survey if you have the ability to scan for Channel 47 via VCDS/OBD11 etc. Trying to get some data on this problem specifically relating to the amplifier. Thank you in advance.

https://goo.gl/gqYXzM

Guys,

I have a potential fix for the no subwoofer control issue but need a vehicle with which to test. If anyone is in or around London and would be willing I would love to have you over for a testing session. PM if interested.

*If anything goes wrong I am fully able to return any VAG vehicle to stock / factory configurations as I am both authorised and licenced to use the official VW Group dealership application.

Reactions: AL_B, s3burgh, Phutters and 1 other person
Guys,

I have a potential fix for the no subwoofer control issue but need a vehicle with which to test. If anyone is in or around London and would be willing I would love to have you over for a testing session. PM if interested.

*If anything goes wrong I am fully able to return any VAG vehicle to stock / factory configurations as I am both authorised and licenced to use the official VW Group dealership application.

I would put myself forward for this but I'm up in the north east unfortunately. Hopefully someone in London can help out :)

I'm in the midlands so I'm not close either. Surely someone without it is near London.

So far everyone without the sub control has amp SW: 81A035466 and software version 0100.

Reactions: MarttiMat
Well if you look throughout this thread, you'll see people like me with software 0679. Unfortunately I don't have VCDS or OBD11 so I can't see my SW.

Well if you look throughout this thread, you'll see people like me with software 0679. Unfortunately I don't have VCDS or OBD11 so I can't see my SW.

That is the MMI software version, I am referring to the AMP SW version.

That is the MMI software version, I am referring to the AMP SW version.

Yes that's what I meant. You said 'So far everyone without the sub control has amp SW: 81A035466 and software version 0100.' but my MMI software version is 0679 and I can't check my AMD SW version because I don't have VCDS or OBD11. Unless you mean the AMP SW version is 0100.

Yes that's what I meant. You said 'So far everyone without the sub control has amp SW: 81A035466 and software version 0100.' but my MMI software version is 0679 and I can't check my AMD SW version because I don't have VCDS or OBD11. Unless you mean the AMP SW version is 0100.
Yes, thats why I said "AMP SW version". I'm not talking about the mmi version.

Alex, I would love to offer my car for being test mule, but I'm here North Italy. Is there anything what I can do myself w VCDS ?

Latest information I have on this from my dealer is that they've had a number of enquiries about the subwoofer control being missing. So they contacted Audi Milton Keynes Technical who in turn contacted Germany Technical, and apparently the subwoofer control was purposely left out of certain chassis no / model / age.

That's the only info I have.

For cars with 02xx software there's a new software update available: 0213. It should restore subwoofer control and the settings are no longer periodically reset. It has only been available for about a month now in Holland and Belgium, should be available in the UK now too. I'd really advise your dealer to check for any MMI updates.

(Update won't be distributed via the MMI online update.)

Reactions: AL_B