Apr ultracharger

vaf888

Reaction score
Anyone know what this new Apr product does.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Bigger throttle body, intake pipe, crank pully and dual pully tune

It's an enlarged throttle body (80mm) with a enlarged throttle to supercharger transition pipe with a carbon inlet pipe

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

So is it a stage 2 upgrade

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Release date seems to be 3/6/17

17017093_10154117874270356_6292513196890606203_o_zpswygldhua.png

Its a stage 2 pulley on the charger & a larger crank pulley.This in turn spins the charger faster than stage 2 increasing the boost produced.
The new throttle body etc is in the pic,

I do hope that finally APR publish figures when they launch this on Monday (the above date is US format). However I can't believe that the gains will meet the hype. Even with dual pulley I doubt that the APR solution will raise the spin ratio as high as some people already have, and the only other differentiator is the 80mm TB which surely can't make that much of an improvement?

Having said that, I can see myself getting a bigger pulley and charge cooler sometime and I'll probably go ahead and throw one of those on at the same time :)

Reactions: xpoweruk
There's a bit more info on Audizine. The crank pulley (which appears to fit 'inside' and 'over' the OEM pulley rather than replace it) is supposedly 187mm. There is reference to an 'uprated' supercharger pulley, so presumably its not exactly the same size as their normal one, however this does suggest that this solution may indeed reach the maximum ratio of around 3.3 to take the supercharger near its limit.

https://ibb.co/exOHTv

Mmmmm interesting , not even got mine mapped on bigger crank pulley and this sounds interesting
Just depends on what the price is to

Well there are preliminary prices being discussed. The crank pulley kit at $399 looks a decent price if you want to keep the dampened OEM pulley. But considering that some have failed, I'd guess there are plenty of solid crank pulleys available for less. As I know the Vdamper alternative is a lot more, but its the only solution if you want a reliable oversize dampened crank pulley. However the "special" bit is the throttle body kit and the figure of $1599.99 is being suggested. However its not clear if this includes the APR ECU file or not. Lets see what UK prices will be. If the TB is £1600 then even I may pass at it, or at least I shall wait until there are some firm figures available demonstrating its value. BTW remember that this mod is such that upgraded charge cooling will be necessary.

Reactions: biscuittin and xpoweruk
thats ridiculous money for a throttle body. Has anyone seen any advertised gains?

thats ridiculous money for a throttle body. Has anyone seen any advertised gains?

It's released for sale later today, all the info on gains etc will be released same time. Also the prices above are speculation, maybe from a reliable source but knowing Apr it could well turn out to be even more expensive

Reactions: Dippy
So in their dual pulley solution the supercharger pulley is 57.75mm and the crank pulley is approx. 187mm so that gives a ratio of about 3.24. With this their remap gives a peak of 468hp (I assume imperial) on a b8.5 using 93 AKI fuel. APR then claim that adding the TB kit will increase this to 498hp, so an addition of 30hp.

MRC got me 475bhp with my 189mm pulley (ratio 2.99) on Momentum 99 RON, and I'm assuming that with a bigger pulley and charge cooler I could reach around 500bhp. Now if they could adapt to the new TB motor (and I can't see that it would be difficult) then maybe my car could reach around 530bhp? This would be at a cost of £3-4K in beermat maths. And how much will I really notice an extra 50 or so horses at redline?

Well it interests me enough to follow further development and reports from the first users...

APR numbers don't make much sense TBH
On 91 the dual pulley makes less than a single pulley ???

Hmmm. Makes me wonder if they have done some extrapolation rather than actually test every single combination, although there may just be typos.

The more I think about it, the chances of getting enough independent data to make me want to invest in this TB seem rather low...

Maybe they are underplaying the DP so the Ultra looks better?
I imagine only time will tell

Independent B8.5 91 octane and 104 octane results are in from Goodspeed in Arizona:

468 HP and 395 FT-LBS - Stage 2 Single Pulley 91 Octane
489 HP and 432 FT-LBS - Stage 2 Dual Pulley 91 Octane (OLD SOFTWARE)
508 HP and 455 FT-LBS - Stage 2 Dual Pulley 91 Octane (NEW SOFTWARE)
536 HP and 468 FT-LBS - Stage 2+ Ultracharger 91 Octane
594 HP and 511 FT-LBS - Stage 2+ Ultracharger 104 Octane

Reactions: Chop.
in theory with 98/99 octane we could be seeing up around 560-70+ then, quite an improvement! still pricey considering the price + price of cooling upgrades

How does the dual pulley compare to the pulley used by MRC?

How does the dual pulley compare to the pulley used by MRC?

Hard to say as MRC don't publicise the crank pulley size they use

Indeed :) I'm waiting for it to unfold so we get actual data

Reactions: Dippy
I have now been 'blinded' by too many figures from APR, and of course it is difficult to rely on the 'independence' of independent data published by APR themselves!

It time some of the guys in the US will give us real data (although likely it will be 1/4 mile times).

@mdmay - see post #15

All over Instagram just now, boys in the US are snapping these up so prob won't be long

IMG 4203

Reactions: Lavis89 and xpoweruk
Hard to say as MRC don't publicise the crank pulley size they use
I'm sure I read somewhere that the usual MRC stage2 high torque pulley is 189mm. Although they do offer 4 different pulleys depending on application.

Having noticed the footnote "At these power levels APR does not recommend use of the factory catalyst." I'm starting to realise that unless I get heat problems in the Summer I'm probably tuned enough for now. Even if maximising the pulley ratio and using this "ultracharger" could achieve a satisfactory power increase, the cost of the ultracharger, extra cooling AND new cats is looking excessive.

I ve got a MRC Stage 2 and S-tronic remap @ 482PS, Doug said that is enough you won't really notice much difference if you went with the extra cooling, yes you would see over 500PS but is it really worth it for an extra couple of grand ?

This new APR system does look good but buying high flow cats, extra cooling and the APR system you must be knocking on the door of 6-7K ish including fitting and mapping.
Is it really worth it for an extra lets say at least for 50 more horses ? I think not.

As far as I can tell MRC already run very close to the dual pulley sweet spot already.
IMO I think APR Ultra will end up being heat soak/IAT nightmare . I've been following the DP progress for some time & the best times 1/4 mile didn't come from the highest pulley ratio,they came from using 57.xx mm charger pulley with between 179mm & 183mm crank pulley

It is interesting that APR have felt the need to redesign their charge cooler kit. Anyway this is all academic to me whilst the only UC results we have are with the APR files. I'm waiting to see if anyone in the US uses it with a custom remap from another tuner. Until then we won't know if it has value on its own or only as part of the APR package (which if you note includes TCU remap with a 7300rpm redline).

Seems the first logs are in on the UC.IAT's through the roof (shock horror) so bleeding all the extra boost
AWE coldfront heat exchanger

Last edited:
Reactions: skiptowncat
Would have been easier to use the bigger supercharger and meth

Also, does anyone know what the internal limits of the 3.o TFSI engine is ? I don't think that they have really been tested that far have they ?

Looks like the UC with a smaller 179 pulley works well.Just read of an 11.5 @ 121mph