Audi - SAT NAV

Caesium

My BM is fixed!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I know a few people on here have fitted the DVD RNS E sat nav to their cars, I'd just like to ask those people if they know, will this sat nav unit work in a car that has the BOSE system?

I currently have the Symphony stereo and BOSE, my on dash sat nav is frigging useless and i am thinking about changing to the Audi unit, what problems would I run into?

I take it I can get this lead from Audi? What bits would I need to have the Bluetooth Add-on?

i wouldn't bother getting it installed by Audi or buying the kit from Audi, there are loads of sources on eBay and there is a guy on this forum that does installs, s8craig, he will probably have everything you need to do the install plus the bluetooth telephone option

if you want to buy the harness yourself go to www.kufatec.de

i'll definately install it myself. That site is a little difficult to understand as its in German!

Had mine fitted at the weekend and I am very impressed by the unit, such a shame you can't overlay speed camera locations.
Ian

S8Craig fitted the unit for £250 he supplies the new double din and new ash tray, I was quoted £130 just for the parts so not a bad price all in all, you could proberbly fit it yourself if you know what your doing, but you need VAG.COM to set the unit up properly.
Ian

What exactly do you 'need' in terms of parts to fit a complete Audi Sat-Nav unit, I've seen the head-unit-display on eBay for about £400 odd, but there must be more to it than this?

VennyQuattro said:
What exactly do you 'need' in terms of parts to fit a complete Audi Sat-Nav unit, I've seen the head-unit-display on eBay for about £400 odd, but there must be more to it than this?
it depends on what you have fitted at the moment.

if you have a double din head unit (no storage space directly under the heater controls) then all you need is the RNS-E head unit, a RNS-E harness, a GPS receiver and a Fakra radio antenna adapter plus access to VAG-COM to program it to your car.

If you do have a storage space under the heater controls then you will a double din cage, new heater control unit and then all the RNS-E parts as above.

I see, I have single din, space under controls!
The new heater control unit must be expensive!!

s8craig now has a website showing all the services he offers and prices, take a look by clicking link.

http://www.tclsatnav.com

he can install the complete system for you including single din to double din installations and including VAG-COM programming so now you can work out whether you want to do your own install or get him to do it for you.

VennyQuattro said:
I see, I have single din, space under controls!
The new heater control unit must be expensive!!

It's not really necessary to get a new climate control unit. You can trim yours down with a dremel if you're very carefull and have some patience.

Well the heater control on that link looks the same as the one in mine!
Is it just that you need a double-din mounting adaptor and the heater control moves further down the dashboard?
Does the head unit rely on an aditional DVD/CD reader module, otherwise where do you put your nav disc?

If anyone has a pik or link to a pic of a dashboard with the sat-nav fitted, I would be grateful?.........

VennyQuattro said:
Well the heater control on that link looks the same as the one in mine!
Is it just that you need a double-din mounting adaptor and the heater control moves further down the dashboard?
Does the head unit rely on an aditional DVD/CD reader module, otherwise where do you put your nav disc?

If anyone has a pik or link to a pic of a dashboard with the sat-nav fitted, I would be grateful?.........

yes it is the same but the face plate dimensions are slightly different. you can make yours fit by trimming the sides like 'arthurfuxake' said and removing the silver trim and the just buying the double din cage

the screen/face of the rns-e unit is motorised and slides up down to reveal/hide the DVD ROM drive, all the workings to run the radio, sat nav, memory card slots are contained in the head unit.

go to this site and have a browse: http://www.navplus.us/