Phantom Black Avant - A day in the life of an Audi owner

Nathan Russell

Reaction score
Website
www.albatrossandmariner.co.uk
So I thought I'd introduce myself properly now that I am officially an Audi owner. I'm Nathan, 29, Married, Father to a baby girl, Photographer & Bulldog owner.

Wow that felt like I signed up for a dating app!

Monday I bit the bullet and purchased a B7 Avant. I've wanted one for years and after closing a lease I had on a 2013 Mercedes now was the right time.

Here's how it looked when I collected it.

FullSizeRender%202_zpsvjreiss5.jpg

FullSizeRender%204_zps8afc98gk.jpg

FullSizeRender%203_zpsq8izxrdh.jpg

Good Spec:
Phantom Black
3.0TDI Sline Quattro
Auto
Full Leather Interiot
Sat Nav
Bose
Xenon

Original plan was get it. Get some wheels, coilover and a remap and enjoy it for what it is. Got it as a run about, something big enough to fit the buggy and dog in all in one go!

Fast forward one day....... I get a rattling on start up. Took it to Audi for a health check. Everything is all good..... apart from the ****** timing chain tensioner which is making the noise. It's only slight so could be fine for ages or it could go in no time so for peace of mind it's booked in to have it replaced. (Top left as facing the car).

Audi ownership by baptism of !!!! But hey that's what older car ownership is like right!

So plans for now are to fix this. Save some money and then do the original plans above. For now though I'll be riding stock!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 168
  • FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 139
  • FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: James.c, dimitar.tuntov.5, Sandra and 5 others
Very nice mate and it sounds like you've got a good attitude to owning a b7, loads of friendly people on here dont be shy to ask any one anything, enjoy your avant mate

yep very nice looking avant chap, and yes you have found out that used audi ownership does start with a baptism of fire...or audi ..lol
Anyways, enjoy it , and you have choosen wisely with the best variant of course , the avant , and in black so better still.

yep very nice looking avant chap, and yes you have found out that used audi ownership does start with a baptism of fire...or audi ..lol
Anyways, enjoy it , and you have choosen wisely with the best variant of course , the avant , and in black so better still.
Cheers Rob mate. Same with all cars really. I had a Megane R26 that cost me 4 grand in 1 year to keep on the road. Then got a brand new Merc to get away from having to pay out a lot on repairs and had two tyres slashed in the first week which cost me 600 and a wing mirror knocked off by a bus which was another 300. It is what it is!

Nice Avant Nathan and welcome to both Audi ownership and to a friendly and helpful forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sandra
Nice car mate looks like my twin now just added them wheels to mine to freshen it up...... could you do me a favour and measure the height of each wheel arch to ground? Ive just fitted my front eibach springs and liking the stance now its pretty much level. Sorry for hijacking thread What wheels you fancying for yours?OEM or aftermarket?

Welcome! Liking the classic 9 spokes and silver trim on black, very classy.

They sure can be a drain on the bank account. But they're just such a complete car and a pleasure to own, I honestly don't mind.

Nice car mate looks like my twin now just added them wheels to mine to freshen it up...... could you do me a favour and measure the height of each wheel arch to ground? Ive just fitted my front eibach springs and liking the stance now its pretty much level. Sorry for hijacking thread What wheels you fancying for yours?OEM or aftermarket?
Cheers buddy! You must have a good looking avant Yeah not a problem I'll do it for you as soon as it's back from the garage. You just wanting to know what drop you got? I'm thinking either 3sdm 0.01 or 0.06 at the moment. Although I change my mind a lot. How do you find the eibachs? I was going to coilover it but after spending the cash fixing the tensioner I'm not looking to spend a fortune so thinking h&r springs and b5 perches.

Welcome! Liking the classic 9 spokes and silver trim on black, very classy.

They sure can be a drain on the bank account. But they're just such a complete car and a pleasure to own, I honestly don't mind.
Cheers Baka! Yeah he wheels are growing on me actually. I'll lower it first and then see what summer wheels I'm going to get. I was thinking of blacking out the chrome. Especially the one around the grill but it is a bit of a faff.

Reactions: Baka
very tidy looking example mate, enjoy and welcome to the forum

very tidy looking example mate, enjoy and welcome to the forum

Cheers Mate!

Ohhhh Noooooo it looks like we have another @Just Rob.
hidingbehindcouch.png
run.gif

Sorry Nathan.....you'll understand soon enough!

Haha. I read some of Robs posts yesterday! I think the only thing keeping me from buying a deuce rent set a week is the wife.

@Nathan Russell nice car Nathan. Good to hear your enjoying the forum. Enjoy. :)

Cheers Sandra. Good to be here! Seems like a friendly bunch.

Reactions: Sandra
Cheers Mate!

Haha. I read some of Robs posts yesterday! I think the only thing keeping me from buying a deuce rent set a week is the wife.

Cheers Sandra. Good to be here! Seems like a friendly bunch.
Yes we are a friendly bunch and @Just Rob. is a goldmine of information, truly fantastic guy. :)

Reactions: Charlie Farley and carlcall
you'd all miss me if I left.....not that I will be just yet...haha
No your not leaving. I would hunt you down and bring you back, lol. :) x

Reactions: carlcall
Cheers buddy! You must have a good looking avant Yeah not a problem I'll do it for you as soon as it's back from the garage. You just wanting to know what drop you got? I'm thinking either 3sdm 0.01 or 0.06 at the moment. Although I change my mind a lot. How do you find the eibachs? I was going to coilover it but after spending the cash fixing the tensioner I'm not looking to spend a fortune so thinking h&r springs and b5 perches.
Ye after an idea of how mines dropped. So far they seem pretty stiff im comparison tonthe s-lines. Need to get used to driving a lowered car again. Once rain stops ill get a side shot of car. The cars sat pretty even front to rear with eibachs front and s-line rear springs

I'm with AP coilovers and i car swear in them !
Nearly 2 years fautless and better ride on 19" ruther stock with 18" !
Jelly for the 3.0 audi tbh !

Reactions: GDCAUDIA4B7
Good news. Got the bus back from the garage today. Tensioner and chain replaced and it has cured the state up rattle! Now I can relax a bit and drive the thing! Next goals.... give it a proper clean when there is a break in the weather, get some springs to lower it a tad and see if I can get 30mpg. :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: James.c and Sandra

Ok sorry it took me a while buddy! Measurements are fender to ground. Where it is parked is on a slight lean so not sure if that will affect it much. It's pretty wonky lol.

Drivers Rear 650mm
Passenger Rear 663mm
Drivers Front 666mm
Passenger Front 658mm

What drop did you get then?

Reactions: MartinHudson6
Small..... SMALL update. Retrofitted ISO fix points for the baby seat! Nice easy job and no more messing around putting the seat in with a seat belt.

Also ordered a whole bunch of cleaning products to get this bus seriously clean.

IMG_0116_zpsqdodjpmu.jpg

Reactions: carlcall and Dani_B19
Ok sorry it took me a while buddy! Measurements are fender to ground. Where it is parked is on a slight lean so not sure if that will affect it much. It's pretty wonky lol.

Drivers Rear 650mm
Passenger Rear 663mm
Drivers Front 666mm
Passenger Front 658mm

What drop did you get then?
Mines
drivers front 620mm
Pass front 635mm
Drivers rear 640mm
Pass rear 650mm

Bit weird how my pass side sits between 10-15mm higher than drivers side. I even turned car around to see if my garage floor was the issue.... it wasnt. Cheers for comparison tho buddy!!

Attachments

• IMG_1713.JPG
    IMG_1713.JPG
    940.7 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: Nathan Russell
I'm with AP coilovers and i car swear in them !
Nearly 2 years fautless and better ride on 19" ruther stock with 18" !
Jelly for the 3.0 audi tbh !

Hi mate are the AP coilovers height and dampering adjustable or just height?? I need to get some coilovers

I really like it - not a lot !
To be honest the ride is better than s-line !
I'm with 225/35/19 and Ap now compared 235/40/18 s-line suspention - i'm now happy !
Rs4 rear Arb , tracking done and happy

IMG 5896

Reactions: James.c and Nathan Russell
A bit of a thread resurrection. Turns out having a baby means getting any time to do car related stuff is minimal to none.

No big updates but made some time to fully machine polish the bus back to its former glory. Getting rid of all those swirl marks and scratches.

Scholl s17 to polish and then Gtechniq EXO nano coating for a decent level of protection.

IMG_0753_zpsux0t1vam.jpg

IMG_0752_zpsby30th10.jpg

IMG_0751_zpsmnvwnodh.jpg

A couple more small updates in the post. A set of s4 brushed aluminium wing mirrors and a Cupra splitter. Also a revo map booked in as a little 30th birthday present to myself.

Reactions: Audi-Rog, Baka, THQuattro and 3 others
looking very nice chap, also you wont be getting much free time now until your little one is at least into double figures.......small people and spare time just don't work...but it does get better ....

I know the feeling but mate. The work on mine has slowly crept to a stop and my daughters 15 month haha. Doesn't get any easy but worse haha.

That's one of the joys of being a parent, oh the joys...lol, when 're old and grey like me dani they are all grown up and live there own lives....