Audi A3 20.TDI 170 sport 2007 limp mode CURED FINALLY!

Big Duke

Reaction score
Ok, I have had this car 7 years from 29k.. Ive had the limp mode issue since about 80k.. Ive had several attempts to cure it.. still limping after having fitted a new intake manifold with vacuum actuator a year or so ago. Horrible job,no joy. Had various sensors changed.No joy.. So now at 180k I bit the bullet and had a new recon charger fitted a couple of weeks ago by GAP TURBO in Birmingham.. I commute to London every week so straight away I thought it felt dissapointingly guttless. Sure enough, half an hour into the journey limp mode.. Gutted!.. I took it back to them,and they test drove it and said its fine..I told them it is fine at low speed,but from low RPM in top gear on the motorway its gutless and goes into limp.. They changed another sensor.. No joy... After getting a mate at an Audi main dealer to check the codes,it came up still with P0299 intermittent underboost.. My mate said you need to show them this code. Fair play, they had the car back and fixed it.. They said it was the Turbo actuator wiring that was not connecting.. I collected the car but was still dubious... BUT, as soon as I went up the road the car seems twice as powerful in every gear.. It absolutely flies!.. Power is instant,no limp mode.. Ive lived with it for so long I had no idea how quick it should be.. Check your Turbo actuator wiring. VERY PLEASED!

Reactions: DJ_26 and THQuattro
Wow you have done 100k with that problem you deserve a medal, glad its sorted mate.

Yeah thanks I've got good very good at flicking the ignition off and on really quickly to get me out of trouble in the fast lane...Quite looking forward to my commute next week.

I have got the same problem, car goes into limp mode on motorways after a good stretch at about 70mph. I was advised by my garage that my Turbocharger had gone by my garage and ended up putting in a new one at great cost but the problem never went. Problem I have is i drive for about 3/4 miles a day which isn't enough I am told for a 2008 Audi A4 S-Line TDI 1968 170PS and I am told this is the major cause.
Great to know that there is a cure to this as had given up on this, was actually thinking remapping the car as a cure.

I don't get limp mode in urban driving and fairly short motorway drives.

Yeah, I nearly gave up and traded it,but Ive had new brakes and a cambelt, so thought Id have one last go. Worth getting your turbo actuator wiring checked. I thought my car was pulling ok at lower speeds but now its fixed it really pulls much stronger in the lower gears...I could tell it was different as soon as I drove off from the place..

Reactions: buok
Thanks for your quick reply and assurances..............will definitely try the turbo actuator wiring. Oh yes, my car isn't pulling away strong enough in lower gears say at traffics lights and yet it used to which is a bit embarrassing and frustrating.

yeah, Im a saint for putting up with it for 100k and nearly 4 years, as I can remember it first happening on the way to a mates wedding..The rest of the car is quality and lasted really well. The body, the paint,the interior the suspension are still excellent.