Check engine light, error P0011 (1.8 TFSI, DSG)

CosminO

Reaction score
The engine is 1.8 TFSI, DSG 6 speed. VIN says 2008 model, actual build is late 2007.
Purchased @193k KM in August. Maybe by coincidence or not (guessing shady seller), the error popped just after I accidentally (read: "Did not drive an automatic before") pushed the gear into Reverse I guess (around 30km/h).
Error reads:
"A" camshaft position- Timing over advanced or system performance (Bank 1)
Alright, I'm not a mechanic at all, so this is what the official audi service in my area did
-Changed DSG oil (was 13k KM overdue) anyway
-Replaced one senzor (checks oil thickness, I think) right on the left of the motor, which they said was the issue. 110euros spent for nothing right there.

It was not the issue, evidently. They suggested we do an engine oil change next (they follow the procedure, I guess), but I lost trust in them by that time (official dealership...pffff!).
-Changed the oil myself
Of course it did nothing (I erased the error from time to time).

Went to a new shop (service, garage, whatever, not official) and they said that the error might be caused by the transmission, but there are no signs or symptoms of this.

Here is what I know:
Somehow they think that the error only pops when the engine is cold, as the oil does not "climb" fast enough.
To somehow prove them right:
1)I can testify that with a cold start, the exhaust sounds a bit like a rally car, the car shakes (you can feel it if you sit in it and pay attention), then the sound settles and everything works as one would expect. No power loss, no limitations, no rattles, no nothing. Sport mode works fine, I can vouch for that :)
2) If I erase the error, I can drive all day and stop the engine, restart after 30 mins and it will not show up again until the next morning.

So they said that they need to investigate and disassemble the transmission (drive train? I'm not sure about the terms). Since it will take all day, they also said that I should order a new one, anyway (since the cost of also putting it in is the same as if only taking mine off and putting it back on after the checks).

3 months have passed since then. By this time, I have no hope of finding a good garage, so I'm just waiting for something to break, I guess.

What do you guys think?

Check engine

Alright. So they stripped the side cover. Turns out there was a spring in the camshaft oil actuator which was not sitting right. Error gone.

Time for an air intake!